thirty bees forum

Ask for telephone number in account creation

Wartin

Hello, I'm using 'Just account creation' (I'm not sure if it's like that in english) to let the users create an account with minimal data asking.

I'd like to ask for telephone there, and not later in address creation.

I tried to add it in authentication-create.tpl template, but obviously it's not saved nor javascript checked.

Is it posible?

Thanks!

Possible? Yes, of course. Editing the template is likely not sufficient, though. One also needs to move PHP and JS code to the other template and find a place to store this phone number without an address.

Another option might be to move to a 3-step or 1-step checkout, depending on your taste. @toplakd has done great work in this area and maintains a thread explaining the work in this forum.

That said, making a phone number mandatory is known to make customers reluctant. They want to buy something. Usually as anonymously as possible, to not risk joining a phone or other marketing campaign.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 12:24 PM, Traumflug said:

Possible? Yes, of course. Editing the template is likely not sufficient, though. One also needs to move PHP and JS code to the other template and find a place to store this phone number without an address.

I see... I didn't think about where to store it... those are likely too much changes.

I have read 3-step thread, but I didn't try it yet. I should do it before launching the site... thanks.

About asking for the telephone, in my case I will ask it later in the checkout (or address creation), so it will be mandatory anyway. I read somewhere that it's better to make clients create accounts and forbid guest accounts, I'm not sure, though.