thirty bees forum

Creating ownership layer for products, warehousing etc

Mark

Has much thought been given into a whole new permissions layer?

Whereby products and most things.... Could have multiple different owners and the permissions system altered to have another column to allow only the owner to edit/delete etc.

One for you to comment on @datakick

48 minutes ago, Mark said:

Has much thought been given into a whole new permissions layer?

Whereby products and most things.... Could have multiple different owners and the permissions system altered to have another column to allow only the owner to edit/delete etc.

One for you to comment on @datakick

I don't think this feature is needed by (majority of) merchants. This functionality expects many people to actively work inside the ecommerce platform, which is not the case in most thirty bees use cases. Even when the company using tb is rather big, there are usually only a handful of people that needs to log in to ecommerce software. And they usually divide the responsibility vertically (few of them handle products, others process orders, and different team is in charge of cms). 

I agree this would be nice to have functionality. But I know about a lot of other areas that should receive overhaul first.

Just my 2 cents 

Yes i agree with all that and that it probably shouldn't be core functionality.

Obviously I'm not talking here in-house teams maintaining for the company, I'm talking about allowing "people" ie other businesses/ entities to create, view and maintain their own (products, warehousing etc).

I would expect this would be a whole module unto itself. Such a module may already exist but I would suspect it would require an underlying permissions structure and ownership layer in core before such a module could exist, am I right with that @datakick

Edited by Mark

So is this code thats been built then modified by you guys for thirtybees itself and will absolutely run multiple sellers and vendors?  Are you guys selling this module yourselves?

This code enables multiple vendors on the thirtybees portal to sell their modules? (Without that being immediately obvious to the user)

No, it is a commercial module that was donated to us when we started, with a license just to us. The code for the commercial module works on thirty bees without modification. It is just we needed more functionality, so we edited and wrote in certain things to fit our needs.  

But yes, that is what the module does, it is for creating a multiple vendor marketplace. The way it works is likely different than you think. It does not create a permission set for the back office of the shop. It does everything on the front of the shop, through the user account. That way it keeps your admin separate from the sellers. Its safer that way, just in case a permission escalation hack was ever discovered.