thirty bees forum

minify html option

Adik

@Alwaypows I tested my site (25 product 20 banner) in pingdom site grade b 85 green 1. 7 mb 6.4 sec 64 request faster Than 25% (please not my site in subfolder www.mysite.com/store/) avoid subfolder speed better Uninstall Facebook like box speed improved Use other Facebook like box Image compress lessthan 100 kb Use cdn If use cloudflare? Turn on rocket booster (this settings on sumthing java related issue in admin panel) My gtmetrix score A100 green yslow A90 green it is good R U use default theme it is good

@alwayspaws

Which compression are we discussing? images or a whole webpage or what, please?

JPEGs and PNGs are already compressed, compressing them twice makes no sense. Dynamic content like the main HTML page can't be compressed in advance, because it doesn't exist before it's requested. Remaining parts are JS and CSS, like @lesley mentioned.

And not to forget HTML from the full page cache. If pages can be cached, this cache page can be compressed when creating the cache file already, saving compression on each delivery.

@lesley

Actually with http/2 becoming prevalent the methodologies are changing. Here is a good article on resource handling, https://medium.com/@asyncmax/the-right-way-to-bundle-your-assets-for-faster-sites-over-http-2-437c37efe3ff

To cite this article:

Even in HTTP/2 environment, any level of concatenation showed a significant improvement compared to non-concatenation.

Additionally, there are more intelligent ways than dumb concatenation. JS and CSS can be scanned for duplicate definitions, duplicates can be eliminated. Unused definitions can be removed as well. This takes a while, but at installation/theme build time we have plenty of this time.

That said, I don't consider all this to be pressing urgent. That's something to keep in mind when working in this area for more important reasons and dessert topping for those who have a well running shop already, enjoying to squeeze out the last 10 or 15 percent.

@alwayspaws

I hope I step on no toes with this.

When did that ever stop you? LOL!

Never. But I want sensible people to be prepared for their flat feet :-)

@Traumflug If you look at the tests there is virtually no difference in using 6 files as there is 1 file. This is what leads me to believe in future versions we need to make multiple css files to improve paint speed. Just splitting the addcss hook into a top and bottom version should be enough, there is no reason for footer modules to load css at the top of the page. I think a lot can be deferred like this is we add the options and module developers are more conscious of it.

As for removing unused selectors, that is something I have looked into heavily. I don't think there is any way to do this. There are a few unmaintained projects that have tried this, but have failings. At the same time you can do it with chrome programatically too. But the one thing they all lack imo is handling css in relation to javascript. The product page is a great example. You can strip the css down on that page using one of the tools, but then when you add the append for the thickbox, that css has been removed and it is unformatted.