thirty bees forum

minify html option

Adik

Hello guys,

PS has useful CCC option to minify html. How can it be restored to TB?

On the PS test store I have nice results on Google PageSpeed: 96 / 95.

0_1499526342627_google_pagespeedPS1.jpg0_1499526359471_google_pagespeedPS2.jpg

Same theme installed in TB gets lower results: 69 / 84.

0_1499526455562_google_pagespeedTB1.jpg0_1499526461502_google_pagespeedTB2.jpg

This same VPS server and theme:

PS: Performance grade A 91 Load time 769 ms Faster than 93 % of tested sites Page size 498.3 kB

TB: Performance grade B 81 Load time 2.73 s Faster than 57 % of tested sites Page size 666.7 kB

Unfortunately I noticed that the shop on TB got weaker results, I also checked on gtmetrix.

Is it possible to enable minify html?

BTW. Do you recommend using the pagespeed mod with nginx? I noticed one issue after enable this mod - no images from Catalog->Edit Products->Images. :( Report this as a bug?

0_1499542442849_pagespeed_mod.jpg

PS SEO Booster Ultimate from @nemo displays images correctly

0_1499542577754_pagespeed_mod_seo_booster.jpg

Google is actually migrating from the Pagespeed framework to the Lighthouse framework to measure performance. If you notice they have been heavily funding Lighthouse and now with Chrome 60 it is going to be included by default.

I have already started trying to optimize for Lighthouse, the last theme update added a lot of accessibility options and some speed improvements. In the future we are going to add even more, since we are trying to design thirty bees for the future, not the past.

That is also a reason for removing the minify html. It speeds up the download time of the html, there is no doubt in that. But it slows down the processing time of the server. So you might save .2 seconds on download time and trade that for .5 seconds of processing time. It would make your site .3 seconds slower using it.

My site gtmetrix page speed good green A 100 yslow green A90 but Google page speed inslite orenge 67 I can improve Google page speed My server apache nigex (fastcomet rocket booster plans with cdn cloud flare) My cache driver memcached server supported proxy varnish cache. This server not provid Mode page speed

I hope I step on no toes with this.

If something is too slow, adding even more software, well, tends to slow things down even more. Simply because more software means more CPU cycles burnt. That's a simple logic, just not very popular.

To get things faster, one has to remove something.

For example, CSS and JS files aren't dynamic, so they can be minified at installation time. Doing this for every page request from scratch is a bit ... uhm. To get this minification, one can simply run such a minifier over every file existing in the installation.

Another one is to join files. Serving two 5kB files is slower than serving one 10 kB file. PS 1.7 did something in this direction in its default theme. The number of files was simply reduced at theme build time.

Third one coming to mind is to compress files in advance. Letting Apache do this compression means each file gets compressed for each page request, so the very same task get repeated thousand of times every day. Nice plan for wasting processing resources. Apache can be instructed to serve files as compressed content without actually compressing them. That means, files on disk have to be already compressed, which is achievable easily. Result: compressed once, served often, less CPU load, improved performance.

I'm pretty sure your patches are welcome. For myself, I'm currently covered with more crucial tasks.

@Traumflug said in minify html option:

Apache can be instructed to serve files as compressed content without actually compressing them. That means, files on disk have to be already compressed, which is achievable easily. Result: compressed once, served often, less CPU load, improved performance.

Which compression are we discussing? images or a whole webpage or what, please?

I hope I step on no toes with this.

When did that ever stop you? LOL!

@Traumflug Actually with http/2 becoming prevalent the methodologies are changing. Here is a good article on resource handling, https://medium.com/@asyncmax/the-right-way-to-bundle-your-assets-for-faster-sites-over-http-2-437c37efe3ff

@alwayspaws Only text based files can use server side compression, so css, js, html.

Run your site through something like GT Metrix and see if it picks up on any compression errors for resources that are on your site. Likely it will flag things like Google analytics and Facebook, but it should not flag any of the files you host.

@lesley said in minify html option:

Run your site through something like GT Metrix and see if it picks up on any compression errors for resources that are on your site. Likely it will flag things like Google analytics and Facebook, but it should not flag any of the files you host.

I just ran my site through that and pingdom and the results freaked me out. I can't even look up whatever it is you suggested.

@lesley said in minify html option:

It looks like the big thing you need to make sure of is that mod_expires is installed on your server.

I'll look for that, not that I know how. I'll just go to admin and search for it.

And also that all the caching options are turned on in your shop.

I had just asked what settings to use for Cache and Full Page cache. What are they, please?