thirty bees forum

Do I have huge problem?

the.rampage.rado

Hi guys!

I'm selling sport goods of well established brand and their products are sought after.

Neverthless my conversion is tragic according to online articles quoting 2-3% conversion.

Mine is 0.3% at best. According to the inbuild stats and to GA.

I'm missing something, are those scripts counting different things or my website is simply very unproductive.

SEO wise I'm pretty happy - 1st page of almost every product for my country and top 5 for the rest at worst.

How can I improve my conversion?

I'm using COD (the most popular way of payment) and recently added my vPOS (from which I don't expect an improvement to be honest, 98% of orders are passing through COD here). I also have guest checkout, quick order option and all products are 1-2 clicks away from my Menu.

How can I improve my mobile conversion especially? I have more than 55% mobile guests.

This is a very complex topic, that doesn't have any simple answers. 

In general conversion rates numbers are bullshit. I give you my example. We produced some quite helpful content about boardgames. For example when you search "learning chess" on german. We get a lot of clicks. 99.99% of this visitors just read and don't buy anything. The other 0.01% buys something. As this is one of the most visited page on our site it pulls our "global" conversion rate down a lot. Do I care? No, not at all. I prefer to have this few orders, than having a higher conversion rate. How do I know, that guy who just ordered, didn't visit my blog post a few weeks ago with his mobile and is now ordering with his desktop? So all this measuring stuff is very tricky. Still conversion rates are somehow important ofc. They are mainly helpful when you plan to make changes. Then you compare before and after conversion rates. This is much better than comparing conversion rates to other websites...

Merchants should focus on customer experience. What can you do, to make life of your customer simpler? Is your mobile version good enough? Does your search deliver good results? Does your site load fast? Do you answer all frequent questions on your site?

Compare your site with the best sites in your niche. What do they make better? What do you make better? Then also compare it with the biggest ecommerce site in your country. What can you learn from them? I have a list of about 50 shops called "best practice". I check them regular and learn much. 

And maybe most important: take your current customer serious. What do they like on your store? What do they don't like? Just ask them 🙂 In my example I learnt, that I need to bring back the wishlist function. In your store that could be something completly different: "Delayed shipping", "Customer support by phone", "Some new brand" or whatever 😏

• Like 1

@wakabayashi, thanks for your input! 

Blog-wise - we don't run one, I believe we rank on organic searches good enough. We have a brand keyword in our domain that drags us up quite nice.

I've always tried to make a better site from customer perspective - quicker delivery, more product options (as far as budget for stock allows!), faster website, clearer messages on it. And I believe it helps.

Probably that this brand is 'premium' despite 'the must for serious sport' is slowing us down. Also Decathlon's 8 Euro balls don't help a lot but who can compete with them.

Regarding wishlist - I ran it couple of years back and nobody used it in any of my 3 shops and I removed it altogther.

Of course we offer phone support, our contacts are on the very top row - we offer consultations and we do take orders by phone.

Mobile-wise I'm using Warehouse and I believe it's quite optimised. Probably I have to play arround with modules and hide few of them to optimise the product pages on mobile further.

21 hours ago, the.rampage.rado said:

Regarding wishlist - I ran it couple of years back and nobody used it in any of my 3 shops and I removed it altogther.

Sure. That can be the case. Either the function was not simple enough or there is just no need for it. If the latter is the case, it's best to remove it. It was just an example 🙂

In general: only you can evaluate the situation of your shop. If your orders are declining it can have many reasons. Some that you can influence, some that you can't...

On 7/19/2022 at 6:28 AM, wakabayashi said:

In general conversion rates numbers are bullshit. I give you my example. We produced some quite helpful content about boardgames.

A good reason to look for segmanted traffic. You get your traffic mostly from social media you need to have a product leaning towards that crowd.

11 hours ago, nickz said:

A good reason to look for segmanted traffic.

True, thats a good way to handle it. But when you segment your traffic, you can basically stop to compare your conversion to any conversion rate from any random study/blog post.

That's why I prefer to just improve my own conversion rate, than to compare it to other. I basically compare my conversion rate to my conversion rate in the past 🙂