thirty bees forum

Error version 1.4 with PHP 8.0

Yes, it's normal, unfortunately. While thirty bees core is PHP8 compatible, many third party modules are not.

New major versions of PHP bring breaking changes, which means that PHP code have to be updated. Users are warned about these breaking changes in advance by PHP deprecation warnings (while you are still running on lower versions of PHP). Unfortunately, not so many people looks inside their server's error log.

I recommend this flow:

1. update your store to thirty bees 1.4
  2. still use PHP 7.4
  3. install collectlogs module
  4. use your store for few days/weeks
  5. continuously watch Advanced Parameters > Error Logs. You should fix every Error/Warning/Deprecation. You can ignore notices, for the time being.
  6. once you fixed all issues, and no new warning was found for a few days, you can switch to PHP 8.0
  7. watch error logs for few days, if everything is ok, upgrade to PHP8.1
  8. do NOT update to PHP8.2 yet, as it is not supported by tb 1.4. Support will be added in 1.5

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, datakick said:

Yes, it's normal, unfortunately. While thirty bees core is PHP8 compatible, many third party modules are not.

New major versions of PHP bring breaking changes, which means that PHP code have to be updated. Users are warned about these breaking changes in advance by PHP deprecation warnings (while you are still running on lower versions of PHP). Unfortunately, not so many people looks inside their server's error log.

I recommend this flow:

1. update your store to thirty bees 1.4
  2. still use PHP 7.4
  3. install collectlogs module
  4. use your store for few days/weeks
  5. continuously watch Advanced Parameters > Error Logs. You should fix every Error/Warning/Deprecation. You can ignore notices, for the time being.
  6. once you fixed all issues, and no new warning was found for a few days, you can switch to PHP 8.0
  7. watch error logs for few days, if everything is ok, upgrade to PHP8.1
  8. do NOT update to PHP8.2 yet, as it is not supported by tb 1.4. Support will be added in 1.5

Thanks for the reply. At the moment I have detected errors in the Block Cart and Theme Configurator modules. The Block Cart I have disabled it and no error comes out, but the themes I no longer dare to disable it in case the mess.

I couldn't go back to PHP 7.4.

Thanks again.

If you disable block cart how your customers complete orders?

In order to go back to 7.4 go to core updater -> settings. Set php 7.4 and Save

Then 'update' your shop with the module. When the update is complete it might be broken (FO most of the times). Switch your php version to 7.4 and your shop should be live and running.

35 minutes ago, the.rampage.rado said:

If you disable block cart how your customers complete orders?

In order to go back to 7.4 go to core updater -> settings. Set php 7.4 and Save

Then 'update' your shop with the module. When the update is complete it might be broken (FO most of the times). Switch your php version to 7.4 and your shop should be live and running.

Well, I have put the store in maintenance for the moment while looking for a similar and compatible module, but I will do what you tell me.

Thanks.

Oops, I just did what you tell me and when I activate the cart module again, I get this error again: 

Attempt to modify property "value" on null

when rendering smarty template /homepages/37/d515702085/htdocs/clientes/themes/community-theme-default/modules/blockcart/includes/dropdown.tpl

I already have everything in PHP 7.4. I modified with the coreupdate to this version and then I went to the server and regressed it as well. Now everything works.

I will wait for them to update the modules to PHP 8

10 hours ago, Oncle said:

I already have everything in PHP 7.4. I modified with the coreupdate to this version and then I went to the server and regressed it as well. Now everything works.

What module is causing you trouble? Who is the module author? Did you report this issue, are developers aware of the problem? Are they still actively supporting/developing this module?

10 hours ago, Oncle said:

What module is causing you trouble? Who is the module author? Did you report this issue, are developers aware of the problem? Are they still actively supporting/developing this module?

If you are talking about this problem:

11 hours ago, Oncle said:

Oops, I just did what you tell me and when I activate the cart module again, I get this error again: 

Attempt to modify property "value" on null

when rendering smarty template /homepages/37/d515702085/htdocs/clientes/themes/community-theme-default/modules/blockcart/includes/dropdown.tpl

then it's not a module issue, but theme one. You are using outdated community-theme version. You should update to new version. Core updater can help you with this, unless you modified the theme yourself.

This particular problem was fixed by this commit back in September 2020: https://github.com/thirtybees/community-theme-default/commit/e8aaf3632640d8df85e6ca1074878d4b80d008a0

8 hours ago, datakick said:

The modules that have given me problem are the two of Thirtybees (Block Cart v2.0.5 and Theme Configurator v3.0.11). Now when I move back to PHP 7.4 everything works correctly again.

8 hours ago, datakick said:

If you are talking about this problem:

then it's not a module issue, but theme one. You are using outdated community-theme version. You should update to new version. Core updater can help you with this, unless you modified the theme yourself.

This particular problem was fixed by this commit back in September 2020: https://github.com/thirtybees/community-theme-default/commit/e8aaf3632640d8df85e6ca1074878d4b80d008a0

Thanks for the comment.

1 minute ago, Oncle said:

The modules that have given me problem are the two of Thirtybees (Block Cart v2.0.5 and Theme Configurator v3.0.11). Now when I move back to PHP 7.4 everything works correctly again.

Both modules runs without problems even on PHP 8.2

As I wrote before - this looks like a theme issue. Your theme overrides template for these modules, and these overrides are causing issues.