thirty bees forum

Sitemap for SEO

Havouza

The more I read about SEO the more I understand that a sitemap is important for the search engines. Ofc I have looked for a module to do it, the online tools have limitations. But PS addons are expensive. Then I fount a very mature and up to date Google XML sitemap generator module on GitHub.

It is working like a charm so I attach it if someone is interested.01490471422675gsitemap.zip

How about your.shop.com/sitemap/ ? It's in PS 1.6, PS 1.7 (bare bones link list) and also in TB 1.0 (structured, with advertising blocks). Just not XML. Link that on your front page or in your footer and Google shouldn't miss a page.

If there's more to have than just making shure every page is searched, I'd be a good idea to describe the extra features required. As always, every feature comes with a price (writing the code, maintaining that, users have to learn configuring it), of course :-)

As I see it when I read all the SEO experts you should produce 2 sitemaps. 1 for your users and one for the search engines. I have the native one activated in the top but I will also create one for Google, Bing, Yandex etc. It will not hurt, cost any money and is done automatically by cron.

Images, meta data, how frequently the sitemap is updated. You may choose what to submit... it really helps when you add new product to your store and resubmit your sitemap in webmaster tools, you don't have to wait for google to crawl that URL ... there are only positives.

Personally when I update my store I generate manually the sitemap because the automatic update function never worked for me (on 1.5 shop) so the cron job is good idea. And every time I resubmit it in webmaster tools, it will be processed within a week maybe automatically but I prefer to do it myself, so I never noticed how often the automatic resubmission happens.

OK thanks

I found something strange. I submitted the site to google yesterday and also the new sitemap. Today I looked and it seems that the site is crawled and there is a mistake that I cant find.

See the attached screenshot. That category path is nowhere to be found. 0_1490516927156_Screenshot 2017-03-26 11.24.53.png

When you click the link does it point to actual page on your site or it is 404? And it is possible to be google issue, just mark the error as solved and check at next crawl if the same link shows again. I constantly receive same errors for deleted products, no matter I resubmit my sitemap after every change I make on the site ... Off topic: Some of my products are unique and after I sell one, I have to delete it. Unfortunately I loose rankings and receive many 404 errors. Recently I decided to just change the images but now they don't show as new products and it is hard for my clients to find them. Which makes me think there would be nice to have module which could bring old products as new.