thirty bees forum

Make certain products orderable only by certain groups

movieseals

Question

Hi!

I am trying to figure out a way to make certain products available to order only for certain groups?  Meaning that everyone could see the products, but they are not able to order them (at least for a time) unless they belong to a certain group.  I found some modules that hide products unless it is for a specific group but we want people to see what is coming down the line, not hide it.

Any suggestions, modifications or perhaps modules suggestions?  Been searching for a while without success.  Any suggestion is welcome.  Thank you!

5 answers to this question

I am not looking at the code right now, but if I remember correctly, modifications would be the only solution, because "Add to cart" display logic is done in template. Maybe it is possible to change it via overrides / module without touching .tpls, but if you have "Add to cart" buttons in other places, like category, home page category, some block modules, etc. then doing only via overrides or module might be quite complicated.

Minor override + few .tpl modifications would be the easiest solution, especially if you are not going to manage it from Back Office. If you want assign different products to different customer groups, then probably module will be needed too.

Also hiding the button would be enough in most cases, but if done it right, adding to cart should be also blocked, OR completing the order should be blocked until customer removes that product from cart.

To sum up, probably custom modifications are needed.

I do not know if I understood everything correctly.

You can make various settings in the customer groups. If necessary, add new customer groups.

In the respective customer group you can make the setting - Show price yes or no.

In the master data shop you can set which customer group is to be the default for the registration.

Overall, it should be possible without a module, probably experimenting with a test shop something.

What I want to do is have a product visible to anyone who visits but being able to order only for a specific group.  I sell books and some people have books that they preorder in advance.  When the book arrives, I want to be able to put that quantity available so that they can order it.  However, if anyone can order it, then the people who have reserved books run the chance to not get their books if they do not check out immediately.  So I want to create a specific group where I put the quantities reserved available for the customers who reserved them and not available to be ordered by those who did not.

On 2/13/2019 at 1:45 AM, Chandra said:

Why can't you only put in available stock after deducting reservations?

And then enable preorders?

Yes, I can do that for the others but it does not solve the problem of the customers who have reserved titles - I cannot put their titles available so how can they buy them?

I created a group for those who reserve stuff.  I need to make some products only orderable for that group.

Edited by movieseals