thirty bees forum

Apache + Nginx

Havouza

Question

21 answers to this question

Some experience from a site running a forum and a wiki: Nginx is fast, mostly because of it's small memory footprint. For handling complex PHP it's not always up to the task, so it's a good idea to let it handle simple things like serving pictures, only. Such a setup isn't established by enabling a flag somewhere, it requires to edit Apache config files carefully, adding quite some complexity.

PS/30bz claims to allow loading pictures from an external media server. Never read about anybody using this, but code is there. It looks like a good, simple solution to set up such a media server using Nginx and let 30bz handle all the proxy decisions.

@Traumflug Could you elaborate on "For handling complex PHP it’s not always up to the task"?

I know some people advocated this some years ago, but this was often for enterprisey supercomplicated setups they hardly understood and didn't dare reconfigure, often with weird apache-specific modules thrown into the mix.

Nginx and phpfpm has also come a long way since then.

From my experience running a pure nginx+phpfpm setup for PS/TB is no problem whatsoever.

Could you elaborate on “For handling complex PHP it’s not always up to the task”?

It's quite possible this has changed to the better in recent years. It's also possible that it works better with one web software than with another. PHP code sometimes makes assumptions which are true on an Apache server, but not on an Nginx one. Sometimes, not always.

If 30bz works fine on a pure Nginx server: great!

@Havouza If someone is a linux administrator or hobbyist who understands how to configure linux servers, I have already began an open source project on github to add those configuration files. Share, collaborate and improve it. https://github.com/denverprophitjr/Linux-Administration