thirty bees forum

Shopping Cart shows "Free Shipping!" when weight has been exceeded for all available carriers

dynambee

Question

(I reported this on GitHub but figured I'd put a report here too in case someone else comes across this problem and is searching the forums.)

This problem exists on TB 1.0.8 (default install) and after the Core Updater does the full "Bleeding Edge" update. It also exists in PS 1.6.1.24.

If you add enough items to the cart that the total combined weight exceeds the maximum weight of all the available carriers the cart will show "Free Shipping!" instead of "No Shipping Available":

The same thing will happen on the "Shopping-cart Summary" page, the first page of the checkout process, if an item's quantity is increased to the point that the total combined weight exceeds the maximum weight of all available shipping carriers:

Once the checkout process continues and reaches step 4 the user is finally told that no shipping carrier is available because the maximum weight of all available carriers has been exceeded:

When viewing the shopping cart it should not say "Free Shipping!" when in fact there are no carriers available. It should either show nothing at all about shipping or (better) it should say "No Carrier Available", "Shipping Not Available" or a similar message.

Note: The default sample products from TB do not have any weights assigned to them so this problem is not immediately visible on a test install.

• Thanks 1

9 answers to this question

Oh wow.  I can confirm this on my install as well.  It appears to be related to Out of range Behavior.

Set to Apply cost of Highest defined range Free shipping

Set to disable carrier  Seems to work for me. 

What is your Out of range behavior set to? 

Edited by Brent Dacus

1 hour ago, AndyC said:

mmmm .I've just tried an insane amount of products ---- 80 ..Apart from out out of stock warning my checkout worked fine

The checkout process works okay, in step 4 of the checkout a "no carrier available" message will be displayed.

The problem is what is displayed in the cart before the checkout itself is started.

I have run a bunch more tests in a more controlled way and will be posting results shortly.

I have just spent a bunch of time running tests in a more controlled fashion to get hopefully clearer results about what is going on.

Before proceeding, it is important to note that on page 4 of the multi-page checkout where the customer would normally choose the shipping type the system does correctly display that no carrier is available if in fact no carrier is available. The problem is not here, the problem is that when viewing the contents of the shopping cart (either in a pop-up or in the pre-checkout stage) incorrect information or no information is sometimes displayed.

Here is how I set up the system for my tests:

Back Office Notes:

• All non-tb modules disabled
  • All overrides disabled
  • All server caching disabled
  • No CDN in use

Front Office Notes:

• Each and every test was run in a freshly opened incognito mode browser to make sure no local cache exists
  • All tests run with Chrome 75.03770.80 64-bit on Win10. Everything updated as of yesterday.

Carrier Notes:

• System has three carriers available, two with shipping rates set for up to 2kg and one with shipping rates set for up to 10kg
  • Each test was run twice. The first set of tests were run with NO maximum values for the carrier width/height/depth or weight set
  • The second set of tests were run WITH maximum values set for the carrier width/height/depth and weight set.
  • For the second set of tests (WITH maximum values set) the weights were set to be the same as the maximum weight range of each carrier in question.
    Therefore for the two carriers with rates set for up to 2kg the maximum weight was set to 2kg. For the third carrier with rates set up to 10kg the maximum weight was set to 10kg.
  • The results of the tests were the same regardless of if maximum carrier width/height/depth/weight were set so it does not seem that this setting is the cause of the problem.
  • I am only showing one set of results for each test run because the results were identical

The cart behaved differently depending on if a user was logged in or if no user was logged in (guest). Therefore I will now create two more comments, one showing the results for when a user was logged in and another for when no user was logged in.

TESTS RUN WITH NO USER LOGGED IN

Test 1:

• Add one item to cart
  • Pop-up shows "Total products" price correctly
  • Pop-up shows nothing at all about shipping BUT the correct amount of $4 shipping is applied
  • Pop-up shows "Total" price correctly (correct amount of shipping is applied)
  • Click "Proceed to checkout"
  • "Shopping-cart summary" page is displayed
  • "Total shipping" is correctly shown as $4

Test 2:

• Add 50 items to cart
  • This exceeds the maximum weight limit of all available carriers
  • Pop-up shows nothing at all about shipping AND no shipping costs are applied
  • Pop-up shows "Total" price with no shipping costs applied.
  • Nothing at all is displayed about shipping, the shipping costs line is not visible

Test 3:

• Add 20 items to cart
  • This does NOT exceed the maximum weight limit of all carriers
  • Pop-up shows nothing at all about shipping BUT the correct amount of $68.18 shipping is applied
  • Pop-up shows "Total" price correctly (correct amount of shipping is applied)
  • "Total shipping" is correctly shown as $68.18
  • Use the Quantity increase button [+] to increase the quantity from 20 to 40, one item at a time
  • 40 items would exceed the maximum weight limit of all carriers
  • When 40 items is reached the "Total shipping" line disappears completely
  • Once the "Total shipping" line disappears the overall "Total" line no longer includes any shipping charges

CART ACTIONS WITH USER LOGGED IN

Test 1:

• Add one item to cart
  • Pop-up shows "Total shipping" price correctly
  • Pop-up shows "Total" correctly with the correct amount of shipping added.
  • Total shipping is correctly shown as $4

Test 2:

• Add 50 items to cart
  • This exceeds the maximum weight limit of all available carriers
  • Pop-up shows "Total shipping" as "Free shipping!"
  • Pop-up shows "Total" price with no shipping costs applied.
  • "Total products" price is correct
  • Nothing is mentioned at all about shipping
  • "Total" is shown with no shipping costs applied

Test 3:

• Add 20 items to cart
  • This does NOT exceed the maximum weight limit of all carriers
  • Pop-up shows "Total shipping" price correctly
  • Pop-up shows "Total" correctly with the correct amount of shipping added.
  • Total shipping is correctly shown as $68.18
  • Use the Quantity increase button [+] to increase the quantity from 20 to 120, one item at a time
  • 40 items would exceed the maximum weight limit of all carriers
  • The "Total shipping" row never changes, it remains at $68.18 even though this is impossible because no carriers are available

SUMMARY

I think I can summarize this with a few points:

1. I was not able to completely replicate my results from yesterday. I am not sure exactly why this is but I did get "Free Shipping!" shown in more than one way yesterday, and I took the screenshots shown in the first comment.

2. Even though "Free Shipping!" isn't always displayed there are still problems with how the shopping cart handles out-of-range shipping before the checkout process begins.

3. The results are sometimes different depending on if a user is logged in or if there is no user logged in.

4. Besides just the "Free Shipping!" display issue sometimes no shipping costs at all are displayed or the maximum weight range value is displayed, even though no shipping is available.

5. When no shipping is available the cart should display a message about this to the customer. Something as simple as "No shipping available" would be fine.

6. The checkout process itself (step 4 where the shipping carrier is chosen) does work fine so this isn't an issue where people can choose carriers that they should not be able to choose. Instead this is an issue where incorrect information (or no information) is shown to customers before they start the full checkout process.

7. I did not run all of today's tests on PS 1.6.1.24 but as best I can tell it does operate in the same way. Therefore this is likely a problem that was inherited from the PS code.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2019 at 11:52 AM, dynambee said:

The results are sometimes different depending on if a user is logged in or if there is no user logged in.

This isn't much of a surprise. With a user being logged in, additional data, like its address, is available, which can give reasons for not having a carrier, of course.