thirty bees forum

[Please help] Panda: ID in Blog URL Solution? Is "Advanced SEO URLs" module compatibile, or alternative solution?

Acer

Hi

So it seems that Panda Theme adds IDs to Blog URLs. Due to our SEO requirements this is a big no-no.

In the Panda forums there is mention of "Advanced SEO URL" to fix this issue - but I'm not sure about compatibility?
https://addons.prestashop.com/en/url-redirects/19643-advanced-seo-friendly-urls.html?ab=1

Also, is there another way or free module to remove the ID from the Panda Blog URL?

As we've been spending bucks on Panda+modules+very expensive modules (here's looking at you Advanced Search 4 - €250),
we're reticent to just dish out more. Unless it is absolutely necessary, a free module or code solution is preferred. 

Perhaps @Jonny is around or does anyone else know?

17 hours ago, zen said:

I do have one client with Panda theme installed... I just upgraded it from PS 1.6 to TB 1.1

For the blog side, they now use TB blog  and have no problem for URLs without IDs in it.

I was referring to the Panda Blog - it's got more features than the standard TB Blog - which is one of the reasons we purchased Panda.

Can anyone please assist with my original question:

In the Panda forums there is mention of "Advanced SEO URL" to fix this issue - but I'm not sure about compatibility?
https://addons.prestashop.com/en/url-redirects/19643-advanced-seo-friendly-urls.html?ab=1

Also, is there another way or free module to remove the ID from the Panda Blog URL?

As we've been spending bucks on Panda+modules+very expensive modules (here's looking at you Advanced Search 4 - €250),
we're reticent to just dish out more. Unless it is absolutely necessary, a free module or code solution is preferred. 

Out of curiosity, why are IDs in url such a big deal for you?

Friendly urls have zero impact on SEO. Google and other engines really don't care at all They are interested in content only. The only reason to have friendly url is type-in traffic. And be realistic -- nobody will ever going to type in url to your blog post into the address bar...

8 minutes ago, datakick said:

Out of curiosity, why are IDs in url such a big deal for you?

Friendly urls have zero impact on SEO. Google and other engines really don't care at all They are interested in content only. The only reason to have friendly url is type-in traffic. And be realistic -- nobody will ever going to type in url to your blog post into the address bar...

Because it's bad SEO practice - especially from a human readable point of view and keyword techniques. It just looks unprofessional and untidy.
And it's incorrect to say that it doesn't impact SEO - it does actually matter to Google and we've seen noticeable impact on the rankings as a result of page name / URL path names.
Our company has a very strong SEO / Marketing department with years of experience, and research, and know what it takes to rank #1 in search results.
They will not accept IDs in URLs... and with modern SEO friendly URLs there's no reason for them to accept it.

Edited by Theo

I can confirm that ids in URL is not a problem, just an aestetic plus, you should contact support for Panda theme to fix it for you, as it is a purchased licensed product.

In fact ids in URL can be a real plus when you'll change your blog system, redirections will be easier !

19 minutes ago, zen said:

I can confirm that ids in URL is not a problem, just an aestetic plus, you should contact support for Panda theme to fix it for you, as it is a purchased licensed product.

In fact ids in URL can be a real plus when you'll change your blog system, redirections will be easier !

Look, maybe from a technical point of view and from a developer's point, maybe it's not a problem.
However aesthetics do matter and from an SEO / Marketing expert's point of view, it's a big deal.

Also I've asked the Panda team - but so no solution so far. That's why I'm asking the TB community - to check if you guys maybe have a solution?

Edited by Theo

21 minutes ago, Theo said:

Look, maybe from a technical point of view and from a developer's point, maybe it's not a problem.
However aesthetics do matter and from an SEO / Marketing expert's point of view, it's a big deal.

It's not a big deal.. it's just an estetic choice, don't fall into SEO marketing spider net that will suck all your money 🙂

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/820493/can-an-seo-friendly-url-contain-a-unique-id

Edited by zen

Let's agree to disagree here. This is not the place to discuss our believes in SEO.

Back to your question:

I don't think the module you mentioned will help you. It does not mention ability to rewrite blog urls at all, and the screenshots don't show it either. In fact, this module does pretty much the same thing as the build-in thirtybees url rewriting. 

If you want to remove the ids, you will have to rewrite the module. Look for moduleRoutes hook to change the way urls are composed. Then you will have to modify front controllers, and change the way it processes route parameters (since these will not be different). Then, you will have to implement some checks to avoid duplicate urls, make sure it works correctly in multi-lang environemnt, etc...

My estimate is 4 hours of work minimum, for experienced developer. But it can easily take much longer... 

So this quest for pretty url might cost you ~ 200-400eur

12 minutes ago, datakick said:

Let's agree to disagree here. This is not the place to discuss our believes in SEO.

Wise words indeed and agreed. And Lol - another thing to add to the "let's not discuss list" at parties, next to "religion, politics, etc."

And woahah! - the price and time to do this just seems insane. Thanks for checking that module...

ST Themes recommended maybe this module - mind having a quick squiz at the features pls?
https://www.sunnytoo.com/product/prestashop-removing-ids-urls-module-seo-friendly

Edited by Theo

3 minutes ago, Theo said:

Agreed and Lol - another thing to add to the "let's not discuss list" at parties, next to "religion, politics, etc."

And woahah! - the price and time to do this just seems insane. Thanks for checking that module...

ST Themes recommended maybe this module - mind having a quick squiz at the features pls?
https://www.sunnytoo.com/product/prestashop-removing-ids-urls-module-seo-friendly

after reading the specs.. It should do the trick for you for 29 $, if not you still maybe can ask for refound.

7 minutes ago, Theo said:

Agreed and Lol - another thing to add to the "let's not discuss list" at parties, next to "religion, politics, etc."

This module at least mentions the blog posts. But I'm really not sure how well will work tb native url rewriting mechanism. It can work, but it might not work at all... You should ask the author first before making a purchase

36 minutes ago, datakick said:

This module at least mentions the blog posts. But I'm really not sure how well will work tb native url rewriting mechanism. It can work, but it might not work at all... You should ask the author first before making a purchase

Thanks for the feedback guys. This is ST themes so it's Jonny and co. (Panda)
I've asked about the native TB rewrite. Will provide feedback when I hear back from them. 

Even if the module is compatible with tb (meaning you can use it instead of native url rewrite), you have to make sure this module can achieve the *same* url structure as you are using now for your products/categories/... I mean that all your current urls remains the same after you install the module. There could be few differences, so be aware

12 minutes ago, datakick said:

Even if the module is compatible with tb (meaning you can use it instead of native url rewrite), you have to make sure this module can achieve the *same* url structure as you are using now for your products/categories/... I mean that all your current urls remains the same after you install the module. There could be few differences, so be aware

Indeed - initially Jonny came back to me "saying just purchase the module", it'll work.
Now he's just mailed me saying "So sorry, I installed the module on my TB demo site, it can't work fine, don't buy it."
Lol - so now I asked him if he knows of a solution.

Obviously @Jonny is welcome to join this thread discussion 😉

Edited by Theo

Yeah, I was worried this will be the case. The only way such module can work is by overriding Dispatcher class. And tb one is very, very different to ps16/ps17 

I'm afraid your only solution now is to modify the module.

Or wait if @Jonny decides to support thirtybees in his SEO module. I don't think that's very likely, thought, as thirtybees users already have this functionality free of charge in the core. 

37 minutes ago, datakick said:

Yeah, I was worried this will be the case. The only way such module can work is by overriding Dispatcher class. And tb one is very, very different to ps16/ps17 

I'm afraid your only solution now is to modify the module.

Or wait if @Jonny decides to support thirtybees in his SEO module. I don't think that's very likely, thought, as thirtybees users already have this functionality free of charge in the core. 

Oww.. that doesn't sound good. So it may have to be the TB Blog module then... which isn't all that bad mind you (imo). And thank goodness it actually has a decent one (thanks TB team).
Just Panda is something else in general (in terms of being wow) + the Panda Blog and Blog functionality is pretty cool. 
Still waiting for feedback from @Jonny and I guess we'll take it from there...

Edited by Theo

1 minute ago, Theo said:

Oww.. that doesn't sound good. So it may have to be the TB Blog module then... which isn't all that bad mind you (imo).
Just Panda is something else in general (in terms of being wow) + the Panda Blog and Blog functionality is pretty cool. 
Still waiting for feedback from @Jonny and I guess we'll take it from there...

What is missing from  the TB blog module (not in terms of being wow  😉  ) ? I never used the panda blog.

1 hour ago, zen said:

What is missing from  the TB blog module (not in terms of being wow  😉  ) ? I never used the panda blog.

It's got a built-in slide show for one + caters for videos. Plus - it's visible to the Panda Menu system which is just so cool - because with TB Blog, you need to add the URLs manually (like static URLs) - not so cool.

Plus it has: Featured Blog Articles (select from Blog Category + column and home page slider), Comments, Blog Search, Related Articles, Blog tags and more.
It also has additional sliders and lots more styling and layout options available. I'm sure there's more - don't have time to compile complete comparison list at the mo.

Edited by Theo

18 minutes ago, Jonny said:

https://www.sunnytoo.com/60366/remove-ids-urls-panda-themes-blog-module-thirty-bees Here is the module which can be used to remove ids from urls of panda theme's blog module.

Thanks @Jonny for the module. This is excellent support!

I see that the modification of core Dispatcher class is needed for this to work properly. This actually points to a bug in the core. It assumes that controller with name 'category' is always core CategoryController, while in fact it can be controller in any module named 'category'. The same applies for other core controllers as well. This will be fixed in upcoming version of thirtybees.

Hi Jonny

I've tried the module and it works awesomely! Just a few minor fix suggestions, if I may?

• When you get a sec, maybe rename the module name from "Prestashop 1.6 / 1.7" as this one is for TB only?
  • The screenshot on the module page is extremely small - and it's easy to miss the &&
  • Update the 'code to add' to
    && !isset($route['params']['fc'])

Excellent support, really awesome... Once again: thank you 😀
Also - thanks for providing this module for free - it has not gone unnoticed. 

Edited by Theo