thirty bees forum

[Awaiting Solution] Thirtybees + Panda + Litespeed

Acer

2 hours ago, Theo said:

Hi guys

I'm wondering if any of you have had experience with configuring TB + Panda + Litespeed module?

If so, mind sharing the modifications you've had to make to make it work please?

Just to be clear, are you using the Litespeed server Business edition?  The module is useless without that version of the server.  Open Litespeed (the free version) does not support the module.

The module works well right out of the box with TB for me, but I am using another third party theme, not Panda however.  But from what I can tell, with Panda, you should not have any problems.  You need to deactivate all the full page caches however in order to use the Litespeed module efficiently.

Edited by movieseals

4 hours ago, movieseals said:

Just to be clear, are you using the Litespeed server Business edition?  The module is useless without that version of the server.  Open Litespeed (the free version) does not support the module.

The module works well right out of the box with TB for me, but I am using another third party theme, not Panda however.  But from what I can tell, with Panda, you should not have any problems.  You need to deactivate all the full page caches however in order to use the Litespeed module efficiently.

Ok interesting. I think it the Business edition. The reason I'm asking is that apparently it only works with "the default theme + warehouse" and I've seen other TB guys ask on the Litespeed forums how to make it work...
Are you using Warehouse, or which theme?

9 hours ago, Theo said:

Ok interesting. I think it the Business edition. The reason I'm asking is that apparently it only works with "the default theme + warehouse" and I've seen other TB guys ask on the Litespeed forums how to make it work...
Are you using Warehouse, or which theme?

I am using a theme from Template Monsters that I modified for my needs.  The Litespeed PS cache works perfectly for me. You can check if it works by looking at the header of your site.  You should see something like ls-cache: hit if it works.  You should also notice a significant improvement in the speed of page loading.  I am not sure what would be the major differences with the Warehouse or Panda themes that would make it not work.  The only issue I encountered that was causing caching issues was modules with full page caches that compete with the LS-Cache.  The versions of TB I used the cache on was TB 1.1.0 and 1.1.x (Bleeding Edge) and there was no issues with either versions.

A quick Google search yielded this contribution from one of the forum members here:

http://nemops.com/litespeed-module-prestashop-thirty-bees/#.XdlDYJNKiF0

Edited by movieseals
  • Thanks 1

Hi Movieseals

Thanks for the feedback here. I've given it a shot and all appears to be working (the headers are reporting Litespeed as they should) 
+ really fast page loads 😄

Thanks again

Edited by Theo

On 11/25/2019 at 12:54 AM, Theo said:

Hi Movieseals

Thanks for the feedback here. I've given it a shot and all appears to be working (the headers are reporting Litespeed as they should) 
+ really fast page loads 😄

Thanks again

No problem.  It was a pleasure.  Glad to hear it works for you too!

Alas... 🤨 It appears we celebrated a bit too early on this one...
So my initial testing was done on a quick test site - and at first everything appeared to be working...
Unfortunately when I did testing with an actual production / Live site, I discovered it's actually not compatible.

LiteSpeed plugin caches the crap out of Panda. Stuff like user logged in, cart etc. are all cached.
Yes it's blazing fast - but it's not working. 
Apparently Panda needs to be modified to handle LiteSpeed. 

I've reached out to the LiteSpeed plugin author and she appears to be willing - but has other priorities to wrap up first.
At the same time, I've reached out to @Jonny to check his willingness & availability. Will update this thread when I know more.

Perhaps someone here has been able to make Panda compatible with LiteSpeed?

Bytw: A side benefit of being on a LiteSpeed server (even without the plugin), is that the server is natively faster than Apache/Nix.
Also, when you're on a LiteSpeed server, it comes with a modified and optimised LiteSpeed version of Memcached.
When this is enabled (both in PHP options and TB caching settings) you get a speed boost anyway. No, not 'light speed', but it certainly is close.

Edited by Theo

17 hours ago, Theo said:

LiteSpeed plugin caches the crap out of Panda. Stuff like user logged in, cart etc. are all cached.

OK, I am not entirely familiar with Panda but you can punch holes in the LSCache to allow modules that require no caching, such as login, wishlist, carts, etc.  Perhaps it does not work with the way the theme is designed but if you flag those modules as private, they will not get cached normally.

It's worth experimenting. But I'm not sure if it will work.
One thing that I did notice is that it caches the user name that is logged in (in the top bar, front-end, shop side).
So I'm not sure if telling LSCache to not cache the 'Login' module will stop this from happening.
Either way, I'm waiting to hear back from @Jonny and the plugin developer.

Just an update on this:
Awesomely, both @Jonny and Lauren from LiteSpeed have shown willingness to make TB Panda compatible with the LiteSpeed plugin! 😁
Big thanks in advance to both of them.
It now all depends on workload on their sides, as they are both currently focused on other projects.
Will update this post when I've heard of any progress.

Edited by Theo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @rubben1985

Nope, as mentioned in this post, Panda+TB+LiteSpeed cache does not work together at the moment.
I've reached out to both developers (Panda+LiteSpeed) and they've mentioned that they would like to fix this eventually. However, as they are both pretty busy I'm not sure when this will be.
Will update this thread when I hear more.

Edited by Theo