thirty bees forum

Webp images not generated in all sizes

Smile

I noticed that not all product images where generated in Webp format. Investigating this I came along the following comment "Serve smaller images in the webp format to browsers that support it". Why can we not just generate also the bigger product images in webp format? Reading a bit about webp did not give me the answer....

10 hours ago, Smile said:

I noticed that not all product images where generated in Webp format. Investigating this I came along the following comment "Serve smaller images in the webp format to browsers that support it". Why can we not just generate also the bigger product images in webp format? Reading a bit about webp did not give me the answer....

I think you misunderstood the sentence. It does not say that only small images will be converted to webp. The meaning is that the resulting webp format is smaller

32 minutes ago, Smile said:

Well that can be the case 😉.... But in reality I have generated all product images again an and in product categories they are webp but on product pages they are still jpg....

@datakick thanks for your help all the time!

Did you click on 'reset indexation status' button before you regenerated images?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

As i know from prestashop, not sure about TB, at least PNG images keep the JPG extension even though it's PNG (complete nonsense, but that's how it is), might be the case as well for webP? So the jpg images might actually be webp, but to be sure u'd need to inspect them.

The thing here I'm not sure of as it's not written, if I activate webp in TB and regenerate all images, are they converted? Or would they stay PNG if they were PNG already? That is kinda unclear 😉 But trying this right now and will update here when the thousands of images have been processed^^

Edited by oliiix

hehe yes I know, but it doesn't tell which images have been processed and as there wasn't any file with webp extension to be found, I did them all 🙂

Well, after doing them I have no idea what exactly happened. Image sizes are the same, all still with jpg extension (is there any reason to this? I mean that they all end with jpg even though they are png?). No sign of them having changed to webp.

Tried uploading a webp image manually to a product and it tells me webp isn't a valid format :'D But if we look at the statement in the image settings again, it says:

" Serve smaller images in the webp format to browsers that support it "

First of all actually the first post here in this thread was right, it clearly says "smaller images" are being served in the webp format. Might be just incorrectly written.

Second of all else: It says serves. That clearly leaves no indication that any pictures are being changed, it almost sounds as if the pictures are being converted to webp on the fly on page load, which of course shouldn't be the case, but still everything about this is simply unclear, especially because it doesn't seem to work AND I cannot even add a webp image manually to any product.

Edited by oliiix