thirty bees forum

Images

haylau

Question

A few questions

1) We use the panda theme, but the images page in the back office still suggests that the original image types are present, so is it safe to delete these, and will that delete the images from the server also (trying to free up some space before deciding if we need to purchase more

image.png.b736de075b8549ff95c4723aac491601.png

2) The IMG folder contains lots of empty folders (e.g P>1>3>4>5 may be empty, but P>1>3>4>5 is full ) is it safe to delete all empty folders? (i know that won't relieve space, but will make it easier to navigate (I think there has been some corruption of the folder structure as in some of those there is then another IMG and P folder

3) In the IMG folder there is a TMP folder. Am i correct in thinking this is where images go when uploaded before all the product image are created? If so is is it safe to delete these, or are they used for 'regeneration'

image.png.491066be80f31c8b606291ea8b856b7f.png

4) Am I correct in thinking that 'regeneration' simply recreates the images in situ, or does it delete what is there first and then just create what it needs to? So for example, (so thinking if i delete the image types not required (as shown in point 1), then re-generate will that leave only files on the server that are actually required?

3 answers to this question

On 1/13/2021 at 4:03 PM, haylau said:

the original image types are present, so is it safe to delete these

It's safe to delete image types not needed. However, there might be modules using some of these with direct links. A developer would use something like 'grep -rn thickbox_default modules themes' to find these direct links. Links created with PHP methods (should be done everywhere) are safe.

Another approach is to simply delete them and look whether the shop misses some images. One can also restore like-named image types by simply adding them.

is it safe to delete all empty folders?

Yes. Also watch out for image folders with nothing but an index.php file inside. One can delete these as well.

In the IMG folder there is a TMP folder.

All kinds of images are stored there. One can delete them, they'll get recreated.

Am I correct in thinking that 'regeneration' simply recreates the images in situ

I think so. Fairly easy to find out by simply trying. Look at image file creation dates.

@zen wrote some "image laundry" code about a year ago, which does all such cleaning as a background task. But this didn't make it into the distribution, yet.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Traumflug said:

@zen wrote some "image laundry" code about a year ago, which does all such cleaning as a background task. But this didn't make it into the distribution, yet.

there is a lot of code waiting months to be merged. I hoped that after take over github will be flooded with commits, but last one was 4 months ago.

• Like 1