thirty bees forum

Sell product by weight, including decimals

inspectaclueso

Hello, I am looking at options to sell product by weight, with the ability for the customer to specify the exact quantity.  For example, flour is $4.00 per kilogram however the customer can enter 1.25 as the quantity and the price is calculated at $5.00

I have found a module that should handle this in the PS addons market... https://addons.prestashop.com/en/sizes-units/8972-price-by-surface-volume-length-perimeter-weight.html

Before I explore this further, I wanted to check if there is a way to do this in TB natively without purchasing the module.  Seems like it could a relatively common situation.

Thanks

I fear, neither PrestaShop nor thirty bees nor Merchant's Edition support dealing with fractional quantities natively.

One can work around this by selling grams and tweaking the theme to look more convenient. Like some JavaScript on the product page to replace '1500 x 1g' with '1.5 kg'.

Another, often seen solution is to offer variants ("Combinations") of the same product in various sizes. Product "flour", then combinations with 0.5 kg, 1.0 kg, 2.5 kg, ... This is supported natively, just like distinct colors.

6 minutes ago, Traumflug said:

I fear, neither PrestaShop nor thirty bees nor Merchant's Edition support dealing with fractional quantities natively.

One can work around this by selling grams and tweaking the theme to look more convenient. Like some JavaScript on the product page to replace '1500 x 1g' with '1.5 kg'.

Another, often seen solution is to offer variants ("Combinations") of the same product in various sizes. Product "flour", then combinations with 0.5 kg, 1.0 kg, 2.5 kg, ... This is supported natively, just like distinct colors.

Thanks for the reply.  I thought this might be the case. 

I have played with combinations like you suggest, but it gets a bit untidy as the increment required is quite small so there are many combinations.

Looks like the module is the only practical solution.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 1:49 AM, inspectaclueso said:

Thanks for the reply.  I thought this might be the case. 

I have played with combinations like you suggest, but it gets a bit untidy as the increment required is quite small so there are many combinations.

Looks like the module is the only practical solution.

There isn't easy way. I have asked such functionality many years before TB. Zero possibility so far. I'm not code writer, but from answer I understand that for this functionality there is need for too many things to modify. And nobody will do it, because most shops can live without this.

11 hours ago, led24ee said:

There isn't easy way. I have asked such functionality many years before TB. Zero possibility so far. I'm not code writer, but from answer I understand that for this functionality there is need for too many things to modify. And nobody will do it, because most shops can live without this.

There are several modules for this.

However, this is tricky functionality. I remember seeing how it was implemented in one of those modules. It added a new entry to the database (if I remember well a product) for every visitor - even if he didn't buy the product but just visited the page. After some time this resulted in a very bloated database.

Of course a more mature implementation would work a bit like Attribute Wizard Pro: each order would have its own entry in the ps_product_attribute table, those entries would have the right price and the only attribute they would refer to was an empty string. If you added the product to the cart the length or weight would be stored in some extra field in the ps_cart_product table. When the order was completed the length/weight would be part of the product name so that the ps_order_detail wouldn't have to be changed. 

Yes, I've installed the module "Linear / Perimeter / Surface (Area) / Volume / Weight Calculation Module" which handles the selling by weight issue pretty well but it seems it isn't possible to accurately manage stock quantities when using decimals.

It seems strange it is so hard to do what I thought would be a common requirement of selling a product by weight and keeping accurate inventory.  It is also made harder by the fact the grain has attributes such as 'separate bag' or 'all together' which creates multiple combinations with multiple inaccurate quantities which makes inventory control a nightmare.

It would be nice if you could add a product option that didn't create a new combination.  e.g. I have 5 x t-shirts in stock.  If requested, I'll draw a picture on it before I ship it.  Whether I draw a picture on it or not I still only have 5 t-shirts in stock and if a customer orders 1 x t-shirt with product option to draw a picture on it, total stock is now 4.  However PS/TB would say I now have 4 t-shirts with pictures left AND 5 t-shirts without pictures.

I have read that maybe Magento, Zen Cart or Woocommerce might be able to handle product by weight with decimals but I really don't want to learn a new system after using PS/TB for so long.