thirty bees forum

how to deal with developments of PS 1.7+ only modules moving forward?

smarterweb

We've been using TB very happily for years now  - and it basically runs our 'show'. Thirty Bees rocks!
However I did notice that many developers dropped support for PS 1.6 modules altogether and many new and interesting modules are now only compatible with PS 1.7+.
We're at a crossroad where we have re-consider following the TB path as we want to keep up with newly developed modules and themes which will not be compatible with TB as it's based on PS 1.6.
I have just installed a vanilla test of PS 8.1 and am quite impressed how far it's come since last time I looked at PS. Looks like they smashed quite a few bugs too and introduced long missing features which of course have long been covered by the awesome TB team.

What's other's opinion here and what does the TB team have to say? How can we make sure new modules made for PS 8 could also work in TB?

1 minute ago, nickz said:

Why not using the offer of the team: https://store.thirtybees.com/support of use outside update reprogammers?

Presta 1.7 is a framework centered. Hopefully TB withstands that temptation.

because it's just not feasible - let's be real here. Why did we choose TB and not some paid platform in the first place? Because like so many others, we simply can't afford it. Having to reprogram e very new module and theme we buy would just cost too much. Simple as that.

16 minutes ago, smarterweb said:

Because like so many others, we simply can't afford it.

Don't tell me that you started your business without any funds to promote it?
If you plan a shop and wish to have all for free don't count on extra modules.

25 minutes ago, nickz said:

Don't tell me that you started your business without any funds to promote it?
If you plan a shop and wish to have all for free don't count on extra modules.

sorry @nickz but you are not being helpul here. I spend thousands of $ over the last years for custom module + theme development. But when I buy a new module that's made ONLY for PS 1.7+ and one that's being updated every couple of weeks with new functionality, having to pay an external developer to make it work for TB, adds a lot of overheads. Is that what you suggest here, answering my initial question? 

There are module makers who offer Modules on the prestashop platform. Usable for 1.6.
Can't say if your spending pattern was so prudent due to customization. You are not the client, depending on the product many come over the phone and shops over a small screen look alike. 

1 minute ago, nickz said:

There are module makers who offer Modules on the prestashop platform. Usable for 1.6.
Can't say if your spending pattern was so prudent due to customization. You are not the client, depending on the product many come over the phone and shops over a small screen look alike. 

yeah, as I said you are not being helpful here, so why even bother wasting your valuable time answering (not) :) my question.
Anyone else maybe?

Datakick has mentioned that some 1.7 modules can be quite easily adapted to 1.6/tb.

I don't think it's possible to "make sure" new modules for PS 8 work on tb. The two systems are diverging more and more. It's just how it is. It doesn't look like tb will gain enough critical mass so external developers will start working on it, unfortunately. That means you're limited to tb modules and to any 1.6/1.7 modules that will work with tb, perhaps with some tweaking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the long run, PS8 modules will not be usable with TB due to different frameworks. So if you need the PS8 modules you will have to go with PS8 or hire someone who can adapt it or write it from scratch. Sure, this will cost some money, but PS8 will drift more and more into SaaS which means that it will cost you money anyway.

The most cost efficient way is to use the system you prefer (for what reason ever) and carefully think about the need and use of modules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2023 at 5:19 PM, smarterweb said:

We've been using TB very happily for years now  - and it basically runs our 'show'. Thirty Bees rocks!
However I did notice that many developers dropped support for PS 1.6 modules altogether and many new and interesting modules are now only compatible with PS 1.7+.
We're at a crossroad where we have re-consider following the TB path as we want to keep up with newly developed modules and themes which will not be compatible with TB as it's based on PS 1.6.
I have just installed a vanilla test of PS 8.1 and am quite impressed how far it's come since last time I looked at PS. Looks like they smashed quite a few bugs too and introduced long missing features which of course have long been covered by the awesome TB team.

What's other's opinion here and what does the TB team have to say? How can we make sure new modules made for PS 8 could also work in TB?

I believe, as you've pointed out, to continue usage of TB over time, more custom dev of the store front will be needed for the reasons you have pointed out. The devs are doing a great job maintaining and improving the back end to keep it state of the art, but we all see the lack of front end user interface improvements and themes being developed for TB. The great news is that the Panda v1 theme has just been updated for TB this week, that that's a huge step forward. Every year I evaluate the overall cost of TB vs others (Shopify/BigCommerce/Magento/etc) and always TB comes out with lower cost of usage for us, even after paying some short term custom dev costs for the front end.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Search for Alternatives: If a module you need is only available for PrestaShop 1.7+, you can start by looking for alternative modules that are compatible with Thirty Bees or PrestaShop 1.6. Some developers create modules that work with both platforms, or you may find similar modules with comparable functionality.