thirty bees forum

What is the best worldwide payment processor/payment methods?

michael

I am wondering what you are using.

I am using Stripe, Paypal, bankwire, Skrill. Customers: USA, UK, Canada, Germany, France, other countries. I am wondering if there are better more popular options/alternatives for Stripe, Paypal?

If anyone have experiences about what is the most popular type of payments for France, Japan, Switzerland, Nordic countries?

Why I am asking? Everyone live in different countries and know his country, what people are used to, which option for payments prefer, so we can share this knowledge here for better understanding of markets.

@michael said in What is the best worldwide payment processor/payment methods?:

I am using Stripe, Paypal, bankwire, Skrill. Customers: USA, UK, Canada, Germany, France, other countries. I am wondering if there are better more popular options/alternatives for Stripe, Paypal?

The most popular online payment system for small merchants is PayPal, after that it really depends a lot on where you (the merchant) is located. You can only open a Stripe account in certain countries, for example, but if you can open a Stripe account you can accept many different types of payments from most countries in the world.

If anyone have experiences about what is the most popular type of payments for France, Japan, Switzerland, Nordic countries?

Here in Japan the most popular payment types are credit cards, convenience store payment, and direct bank transfer. Most Japanese have yet to hear of PayPal but PayPal does exist here in Japan and Japanese residents can open PayPal accounts with little trouble.

There are still a good number of Japanese who don't have any credit card at all but this number falls each year. If you want to sell to people in Japan then offering both PayPal and Stripe should cover most of your potential customers.

Unless you can establish a company in Japan (and trust me you don't want to do this unless you have SUBSTANTIAL business here, and even then it's probably not worth it) there is no way to accept Japanese-style domestic bank transfers or payments through Japanese convenience stores.

Thank you @dynambee for info. I have found a payoneer which provide a Japanese bank account but only accept payments from companies.

There is transferwise which give GBP, USD, EUR account also for transfers from private customers (non-companies).

It is easy way to open bank acount. I am wondering is it something for other countries and if you have any experience. Is it worth or not, I am going to test it.

@dynambee are you from Japan and you live there since w while?

Sorry for the offtopic, but does anyone knows if I could setup stripe account only with bank account located in supported countries or the company should be located in one of the countries? And is there any way to use stripe without being in that countries list? I saw atlas feature they are offering on their site, anyone using it?

• 2 weeks later...

@michael said in What is the best worldwide payment processor/payment methods?:

Thank you @dynambee for info. I have found a payoneer which provide a Japanese bank account but only accept payments from companies.

There is transferwise which give GBP, USD, EUR account also for transfers from private customers (non-companies).

I don't know what these companies do exactly but I can guarantee you that they are not full Japanese bank accounts. Japanese bank accounts don't have restrictions on who can send payments to them. You can send money from any bank account in Japan to any other bank account in Japan directly from your bank's ATMs, from most other bank's ATMs, and from most convenience store ATMs.

There are also a lot of restrictions in Japan about non-residents having bank accounts. It is not easy to get an account in Japan if you don't reside here or have a company here.

@dynambee are you from Japan and you live there since w while?

I'm Canadian but have been mostly in Japan since 1993, about 23 years of total time living here.