thirty bees forum

Anonymize IP active in Google Analytics module?

30knees

Much more interesting would be a "delete" button in customer account (really!!). I am interested in GDPR and was already on some workshops about this.

The exportation of customers data is not that important for most of the normal onlineshops, but it could be interesting for customers when they change the telecommunication provider or something like that (this was the intention for this part of GDPR law). I think people will not use this to transfer login-data from a toy shop to their wine shop..... :)

See @DRMasterChief your answer highlights the frustration of my problem with this. The law calls for easy to export data, I know this much. What you are recommending is not in accordance with the law, it is just what you want. When we develop this out we need to follow the law.

Hello, honestly i appreciate your idea and opinion. But the law does not require an automatism for exporting the data like an shopsystem can provide this. But it requires a little bit more an easy way for customer to delete their data. So this was the idea of my contribution, and not what i want.... but yes, i want this, regarding it is required by the law ;) Hope you will understand.

@DRMasterChief I am getting most of my information from places like this, http://ec.europa.eu/justice/smedataprotect/index_en.htm which says " Let people access their data and give it to another company." Which to me by the wording means that people need to be able to export it, not that the shop as a whole needs to be able to export it. Having people able to export it makes it easier on the shop owner as well.

They should be able to access it in their account settings if they are registered and then export it old school way, on a paper ... But it is impossible for non registered users and will never be, if they don't ask the shop owner or the administrator of personal data.

My thought is export the data and then set the account where it is pending delete and the user cannot be log in again.

As a side note, everyone in the EU is open to huge liability because of this law. If I use a system like this to get my data out of the shop, then file suit against your company because you run Apache and did not give me the Apache log entries, what is likely to happen? Am I likely to win?

I have a random question about this as well. I know people do not really like the idea of having to register on our store to download the free modules, but we require it anyhow. However, we don't actually track it with their account. Ie, if you download a module we don't know it was you that downloaded it. We use the build / download stats from GH to keep track. What does that open us up to?

@lesley said in Anonymize IP active in Google Analytics module?:

Does that mean services like Piwik aren't included?

Correct. Even if one were to argue that parts of such data are given by the individual, the data is generally not processed based on the legal ground of legitimate interest. The right to portability only applies to data processed based on consent or contract.

I have a random question about this as well. I know people do not really like the idea of having to register on our store to download the free modules, but we require it anyhow. However, we don't actually track it with their account. Ie, if you download a module we don't know it was you that downloaded it. We use the build / download stats from GH to keep track. What does that open us up to?

Without knowing how GH works, the individual should be able to get an overview of what modules he downloaded.

Interesting. Piwik generally can hold more information than the shop itself. We set it up so we can see all the products a customer views by name, all purchases they make by products, ect.

The right to portability doesn't give the individual the right to be able to take all personal data about her in a common, machine readable format.

However, any personal data collected under Piwik would need to be provided under the right of access, eg as a PDF. That's why it's generally less burdensome to not tie such information to an identified individual but to a non-identified/identifiable individual.