thirty bees forum

1.0.4 soon?

roband7

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually there are a few differences I can think of just off the top of my head, now that I think about it more. The modules statsbestmanufacturers, graphnvd3, and gridhtml are no longer in RC2, so you would want to uninstall and delete them, before copying the files over.

@Baarssen I would start now, why wait. That way you can start developing your theme, or modify your old one. You can also make sure your modules will be compatible to TB. I'm confident there will be an easy upgrade path from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4 via the updater... I maybe wouldnt do a full migration to it, ie making it live, but do a developer site...

• 2 weeks later...

I see there's blog posts going up about migrating from Magento to Thirty Bees, migrating to Thirty Bees with support and now new crowdfunding stuff. Also I've been offered help with omnipay payment methods stuff (which I appreciate) but don't you think for the benefit of all that you concentrate on getting 1.0.4 released before looking at these other side projects?

There's a lot of people want to go to 1.0.4 via the updater and I suspect a lot of them are holding off doing a migrate until this is out given that 1.0.4 is going to be such a big update from 1.0.3. By crowdfunding some new stuff you're taking your time away from the core product. Please don't turn into Prestashop with the 'well the core's broken but here's some new sparkly stuff', that's the reason a lot of people are leaving PS in the first place!

@davidp said in 1.0.4 soon?:

I see there's blog posts going up about migrating from Magento to Thirty Bees, migrating to Thirty Bees with support and now new crowdfunding stuff. Also I've been offered help with omnipay payment methods stuff (which I appreciate) but don't you think for the benefit of all that you concentrate on getting 1.0.4 released before looking at these other side projects?

There's a lot of people want to go to 1.0.4 via the updater and I suspect a lot of them are holding off doing a migrate until this is out given that 1.0.4 is going to be such a big update from 1.0.3. By crowdfunding some new stuff you're taking your time away from the core product. Please don't turn into Prestashop with the 'well the core's broken but here's some new sparkly stuff', that's the reason a lot of people are leaving PS in the first place!

The question is: What is broken and what is not? I dont see too many real bug reports, which are open for now. The most of them are from me (on github) and they are about multistore and advanced stock management.

You may be right, that many people are waiting for 1.0.4. But are these people also testing the beta? I guess more feedback would not only help, but also motivate the devs...

@wakabayashi a lot of issues are raised on the forums here and they're promptly fixed, a lot of merchant people don't use the likes of github, even that disqus system is a pain to use, which is probably why the blog posts don't get comments!

I can't comment for others but for me, I've tried 1.0.3, I know there's issues with it but trying to get 1.0.4 going means an FTP over, uninstalling a load of modules, disabling stuff, removing code etc - I can wait till I can upgrade from 1.0.3 or PS to 1.0.4. I could do the update myself but seeing what @SLiCK_303 has gone through I worry I'd spend a lot of time resolving issues. A 1.0.4 updater would do all that so you're testing out the system rather than worrying if you've done the update right.

I know the devs need to make money to keep this thing going, I'd be more than happy to pay in for crowdfunding a proper updater that migrates from PS1.6.x and resolves the file / settings side than some module that only a handful of people will use.

I do remember @mdekker writing someplace (I forgot where) that he wanted to make the installer and upgrader more robust before releasing 1.0.4.

But all the latest commits have been all over the place except in these two components.

So I'm also a bit confused about the plan...

Here is the plan as it stands now. The migration from Magento to thirty bees, I am not sure what @DavidP is talking about. We did write some pages sometime last year when we partnered with cart2cart about migrating different platforms, https://thirtybees.com/migrate/ We just updated the content a little bit for formatting when we launched the new site.

The updater does need a big rewrite, but unfortunately, we are going to try to hobble along our current updater for one more version, so that is really not a huge hold up.

What we have left on our list for 1.0.4 is this: Changing the way mailchimp collects email addresses from new shops. Integrating Patreon in the back office. Finishing the ad server so we can create a module page that draws modules from the store. This is the first step in doing away with the modules feed in your shop and showing only what is installed in your shop on the main modules page. (this is not to be confused with showing you more recommended modules in your modules list). Fixing a few more bugs. Everytime we think we have everything fixed a new bug comes in. Its a hard position to be in where you have to tell people that we aren't going to fix your bug in this version.

re crowdfunding and other things: The development of the crowdfunding will start after 1.0.4 is released, so it makes sense to announce it, vote on it, and try to get it funded before then. The crowdfunding is a way to both add value to the project as a whole and bring money into thirty bees. Last year, including the crowdfunding for elastic search, thirty bees made $3600. This is not enough to cover the services that we need to keep the project running muchless either of us being compensated for our time. I am spending more and more of my time associated with the project trying to bring in revenue. We currently have 10k shops running thirty bees and only 21 of those shops feel like our software is important enough for them to donate to, to help keep the project alive. This is why we are spending more time looking for ways to monetize thirty bees. I have personally decided to not take any money from thirty bees until @mdekker can have a monthly salary and all the bills are paid. Going this route will accelerate the core development and is what should be done.

Maybe this is too much information, but we have always tried to be as open and honest with our community as we could, we believe in transparency.

@lesley Perhaps I haven't spent enough time in the docs, but I'm not sure how to go about properly testing 1.0.4 without actually upgrading my production site, or creating a new one from scratch. There is no obvious way to go about this - perhaps others feel this way too? #my2c

@Raithlin You can clone your current site, then download the repository and upload the files over your cloned site files. That works for this release since there are no database changes.

@DavidP Same thing as above.

To address your deleted message. People should test for stability. Don't you want your shop to be stable? Don't you want bugs you have noticed to be fixed properly?

I would either setup a localhost and test there, or setup a subdomain to your main domain. You can do a clean install, or do what @lesley said to do and clone your site, then copy the RC1 files over it. The more people testing RC1, or latest source, the better. More bug reports from different people will help the developers troubleshoot and repair issues faster, which will result in a faster release. If anyone needs more detailed instructions or help do this, let me know, and I'll try and help.

@lesley I would never put test software on a live site, I'm even reluctant to touch any PrestaShop release after 1.6.1.12 as they've all introduced lots of bugs! I hate to think what the imminent 1.6.1.18 will break.

Now that I know there's not going to be a version for the updater but just via the download then I'm OK doing that, I just figured initially on waiting on the official. I run WAMP 3 on my machine anyhow for WordPress so adding in a PrestaShop virtual won't be too much of a problem. I know @mdekker tried helping me out in the past with Vagrant but unfortunately my Windows 7 machine doesn't have the necessary updates to allow it to work so I gave up trying local stuff at that point.

I don't do GitHub, it's too faffy so can I assume I'm OK to just take a download of the repository on Git of 1.0.x and copy it over a local TB 1.0.3?

@lesley said in 1.0.4 soon?:

@Raithlin You can clone your current site, then download the repository and upload the files over your cloned site files. That works for this release since there are no database changes.

Done. Can't access my back office though (/backoffice). "Unable to handle this request (Opera)". Shop works fine. Did I miss something? Got a backup, just asking...