thirty bees forum

Onepage Check-out like presta 1.7

Webshoptime

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ajensen27 said in Onepage Check-out like presta 1.7:

It would also be nice if the header would minimize too. I've started seeing this on a lot of websites (amazon, bed bath beyond, etc) where once you are in the check out process, only the logo is shown so that there are no distractions to leave the checkout process.

Didn’t realize that this was how 1.7 is already done. Yes, this would be great to mimic. Also, I would use the words “Next” or “Continue” instead of “Save”.

I use Knowband one page checkout on one of my websites and it is nice that you can put all the details in one go without having to click through steps. We've had a number of teething issues with it that's required developer intervention but overall it's far superior to the standard checkout. However, the best method would be something to get the customer email address before they were allowed to select delivery method as that would give you chance to attempt abandoned cart recovery. Something like the 4 step checkout but on one page.

I don't like the fact Chewy.com doesn't offer a guest checkout, that's a big turn off for me.

@DavidP said in Onepage Check-out like presta 1.7:

I use Knowband one page checkout on one of my websites and it is nice that you can put all the details in one go without having to click through steps. We've had a number of teething issues with it that's required developer intervention but overall it's far superior to the standard checkout. However, the best method would be something to get the customer email address before they were allowed to select delivery method as that would give you chance to attempt abandoned cart recovery. Something like the 4 step checkout but on one page.

I don't like the fact Chewy.com doesn't offer a guest checkout, that's a big turn off for me.

I use Knowband as well on my PS shop but feel it could be better. Definitely a much better checkout than the standard one.

A lot of the big company's don't allow guest checkout (Amazon, Chewy, etc). While I agree, we need a guest checkout, it wouldn't change the process of the checkout for the most part. I feel like Amazon, Chewy, REI, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc all use a great system. So using any of those as guidelines would be huge plus to TB.

Also, just checked REI's checkout and they remove the navigation, etc from the header as well. Feel like this would be a big plus too.

There is no difference to the customers account other than a password. But most customers don't know that. Some feel it takes longer to register. Some feel their information is being stored (even though it's being stored with guest checkout too). Some don't want to enter a password and have to remember it. Etc Etc. There's been numerous articles on the benefits of offering a guest checkout.

I consider these guys below the best in the biz at dealing with ecommerce conversions. This is a good read and also states that guest checkouts should always be used.

https://conversionxl.com/how-to-design-an-ecommerce-checkout-flow-that-converts/#sign-up-process-to-create-an-account-or-not

Yes it is a mess in PrestaShop but it's a psychology effect, people feel it's more anonymous, are lazy or feel they don't want their personal information recorded. Guest checkouts are proven to increase sales in certain markets. I personally use them all the time via PayPal payments so my details aren't recorded.

Yeah that's the thing. It's just pschology effect. I believe best thing is this: - New customers order without entering a password - After the order was sent, they are asked if they wanna use a personal password. - In backoffice I would handle them all the same, based on their email.

If somebody reoders with same email - Case 1: He didn't chose a password. -> He won't see any personal data in front office -> psychologial effect. - Case 2: He did chose a password -> he logs in & checks out fast as hell ;)

Edit: @mdekker, @lesley. I just wondered if it would be possible to have just a single email field. With ajax we check, if there already exists an account/password. If yes we display immediatly a password field and customer can login. If the email is new or was only used as guest, he will again follow the whole checkout path.

I think this would be a userfriendly way to combine account & guest checkout. But not sure if ajax call will be fast enough, to have a smoth user expierence.

There is no difference to the customers account other than a password. But most customers don't know that. Some feel it takes longer to register. Some feel their information is being stored (even though it's being stored with guest checkout too). Some don't want to enter a password and have to remember it. Etc Etc. There's been numerous articles on the benefits of offering a guest checkout.

I consider these guys below the best in the biz at dealing with ecommerce conversions. This is a good read and also states that guest checkouts should always be used.

https://conversionxl.com/how-to-design-an-ecommerce-checkout-flow-that-converts/#sign-up-process-to-create-an-account-or-not

A simple checkout process based on the principles presented on that CXL page would be amazing.

My preference would be the "better #3" design with the option to include what "better #4" does on the post-purchase "thank you page".

I'd have to agree on the dynambee choice of option #3 and #4 because people like to know up front how much it's going to cost them with delivery. Even though you state what your delivery costs are a lot of people don't bother reading the T&C's and just go straight to checkout. If they've got to enter a ton of information before they get to the delivery this can put people off when they're typed in a load of info then are presented with a delivery charge.

I like it mdekker.. Like the others said, having the cart on the side bar (static) is crucial. But I believe you said you had done this, it's just not shown in the screen shot above. Thanks for all your hard work on this!

P.S. Please work on the order confirmation page as well as the past orders next. Chewy.com does a great job of this. Here's the past orders page.

0_1494941000628_upload-bdfca99b-3f94-42db-9e6a-7623d859c236

I'd have to agree on the dynambee choice of option #3 and #4 because people like to know up front how much it's going to cost them with delivery. Even though you state what your delivery costs are a lot of people don't bother reading the T&C's and just go straight to checkout. If they've got to enter a ton of information before they get to the delivery this can put people off when they're typed in a load of info then are presented with a delivery charge.

Totally agree with this. I see plenty of people registering just to take a look at the shipping costs (or this is at least what I assume), while they are stated on our FAQ page.

I already lowered this by adding some code on the product page were it displays "free shipping and return to x" and getting the country via IP. For the countries that we don't offer free shipping, this message is not displayed.

I see that asos.com is also tracking your country and when you go to your cart (or bag as they call it), you can immediately see the shipping cost to your country and what amount you should still spend to enjoy free shipping, really cool.

0_1495009879952_asos_cart.jpg

I think at this point we should trust @mdekker to produce a much improved checkout experience for standard use in 30bz. It sounds like he has made great progress, and no matter the exact path taken there will be no one design that fits exactly with each user's perfect checkout wishlist.

Once the 30bz module & theme store goes live there will no doubt be 3rd party checkout solutions available that are tailored to the needs & desires of different segments of the 30bz community.

Yes it is a mess in PrestaShop but it's a psychology effect, people feel it's more anonymous, are lazy or feel they don't want their personal information recorded. Guest checkouts are proven to increase sales in certain markets. I personally use them all the time via PayPal payments so my details aren't recorded.

I understand what you're saying and I agree that having guest checkout enabled is a good idea for most shops.

However not creating an account changes nothing* about what information the store keeps or doesn't keep with regards to your sale. For physical goods they will have your shipping address, for any sort of goods they will have your email address. Anything paid by PayPal gives at least your name and an email address. If you're paying by credit card then the site owner gets all sorts of information from the card company.

Any legitimate tax paying business has to keep basic customer records in case of an audit and some companies must keep more than just basic records. For my business, for example, we have to have names, addresses, proof of export shipment, and of course details about what was purchased. We have to maintain these records for at least 7 years.

* Well, technically it means they don't store your hashed password, but everything else is the same.

@wakabayashi said in Onepage Check-out like presta 1.7:

@dynambee I think this discussion helps @mdekker to make a good checkout. It's not so easy to customize checkout for coders/designers... It has to be good in core already...

There are some limitations to what is possible with the standard checkout due to the need to support multiple payment gateways and the need to maintain PS 1.6.x compatibility for now. Not all sites need these things of course but some do and as this is the standard checkout process it needs to provide them.

I'm also a developer (though unfortunately I don't know PHP) and when there are many users trying to pull the discussion in different directions it becomes difficult to form a cohesive plan to move forward. I contributed to this myself above, but looking back at all the messages it is IMO too much information and too many requests. There are also time limits and making constant changes to the design becomes a huge time sink.

We've already seen the great improvements that @mdekker has made to 30bz and I think he'll do just as good a job with the new checkout process. If it turns out there are problems they can be addressed in future versions & revisions.

@dynambee said in Onepage Check-out like presta 1.7:

I understand what you're saying and I agree that having guest checkout enabled is a good idea for most shops.

However not creating an account changes nothing* about what information the store keeps or doesn't keep with regards to your sale. For physical goods they will have your shipping address, for any sort of goods they will have your email address. Anything paid by PayPal gives at least your name and an email address. If you're paying by credit card then the site owner gets all sorts of information from the card company.

Any legitimate tax paying business has to keep basic customer records in case of an audit and some companies must keep more than just basic records. For my business, for example, we have to have names, addresses, proof of export shipment, and of course details about what was purchased. We have to maintain these records for at least 7 years.

* Well, technically it means they don't store your hashed password, but everything else is the same.

You apparently haven't done much research on the subject of guest checkout (see my post above). And guest checkout still stores the customers name, address, etc for tax purposes.

@dynambee said in Onepage Check-out like presta 1.7:

I think at this point we should trust @mdekker to produce a much improved checkout experience for standard use in 30bz. It sounds like he has made great progress, and no matter the exact path taken there will be no one design that fits exactly with each user's perfect checkout wishlist.

Once the 30bz module & theme store goes live there will no doubt be 3rd party checkout solutions available that are tailored to the needs & desires of different segments of the 30bz community.

We are all brainstorming. This is always a GOOD thing for development. Checkout is the most crucial part of any e-commerce store so making it the best it can be by brainstorming ideas, especially from a community of e-commerce store owners, is a GOOD thing.

We are all brainstorming. This is always a GOOD thing for development. Checkout is the most crucial part of any e-commerce store so making it the best it can be by brainstorming ideas, especially from a community of e-commerce store owners, is a GOOD thing.

Brainstorming is a good thing before development begins. Once a project is well under way having a bunch of different people try to pull it in their own desired direction is a nightmare. I speak from volumes of personal experience in my past corporate life, unfortunately.

As I mentioned above, there are also limitations to what is possible for the standard checkout process in 30bz 1.0.x. There will be more flexibility in future versions but the standard checkout will always have to support things like multiple payment gateways which make certain designs difficult or impossible. Not all sites need these types of features but as it is the standard checkout process it has to provide them because some sites will need them. I'm sure there will be 3rd party checkouts offered at a later date once the 30bz modules & themes store goes live.

Finally, @mdekker is the only developer actively working on 30bz right now. I think we all need to be more appreciative of the time, effort, and skill he is contributing. He's doing a kickass job and 30bz is already light years ahead of where PS 1.6 ever was.