thirty bees forum

Possible bug with SMTP Email v1.0.8

Chandra

Question

It appears that 1.0.8 broke SMTP email. It worked correctly before the update. Email sent from thunderbird with same user id and password on port 587, STARTTLS, Normal authentication works fine. PHPMail works fine.

Looks like a bug?

Error on TB BO: Error: Please check your configuration Failed to authenticate on SMTP server with username "xxx" using 2 possible authenticators I checked mail logs on the postfix mail server and find authentication errors with LOGIN and PLAIN methods. Dec 29 12:34:44 mail postfix/smtpd[4368]: warning: xxx.com[ip-xxx]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed: authentication failure Dec 29 12:34:46 mail postfix/smtpd[4368]: warning: SASL authentication failure: Password verification failed Dec 29 12:34:46 mail postfix/smtpd[4368]: warning: xxx.com[ip-xxx]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed: authentication failure

11 answers to this question

Thanks @Tomik @datakick Thank you for your pointers. This can't get more interesting - the email authentication fails in firefox alone and not from other browsers or mobile. Apparently a password is somehow being saved in the browser and is being overwritten in the email password field. Typing in the right password afresh does not use it even. I have noticed the password in the DB gets overwritten with a different password from firefox as well.

I can confirm this is not a TB problem. Thanks for all your help.

I've had the same problem. Admin panel says Failed to authenticate on SMTP server when i try to send test email. But for some reason test emails are ok with IE (before that i was using chrome). Also, i've noticed that mail passwords are stored in the database as plain text - is it supposed to be like that? Seems like a security issue

2 hours ago, koraledrewniane said:

Got same problem, only PHP function works. Someone got any solution?

For me, changing the email config via different browser (IE instead of chrome) worked well. Also one strange thing - it may still say that there is an error during authentification, when you change the settings; but actually everything works ok, so it's like false positive error notification or something.