thirty bees forum

Changes to ".tpl" files not working

jfnewell1965

Sorry for all the posts y'all....just trying to understand.....

I have received several helpful responses to my inquiries here....I thank everyone.

However, most of these have to do with something along the lines of "Change it in the XXX.tpl file".

I do this and then when there is no affect, I inspect with the browser and see that the changes I just made and saved are not showing up.

My theme is a renamed copy of the default theme...so I thought maybe there is something off, so I made ".tpl" changes in both the original (but unused) theme, as well as the same ".tpl" file in my current theme.  That did not work either.

By the way, all of these changes were being made in the "blocktopmenu.tpl" file.

So as a final test, I just deleted the "blocktopmenu.tpl" file...and then refreshed my web page, did the ctrl-f5, and guess what....all the code from "blocktopmenu.tpl" is still showing up....from a deleted file!

So....either there is a cache I am unaware of, or the code is getting somewhere else, or something.   

Any ideas on how the code from a deleted file is displaying?

40 minutes ago, toplakd said:

As all your questions are related to same problem, you could continue there.

I already posted a hint to solution in your other thread.

And once more here:

Never recompile templates

I agree. But one thing confuses me. Why Never recompile templates? He should select always recompile or when changes!?

He has this enabled. And all problems start there.

It was a hint.

One should first try and learn the system before starting to modify it and writing this does not work, that dont work etc.

Edited by toplakd
  • Like 1

@DRMasterChief That is what I am doing.....access with Filezilla...go to file...right click...select "View/Edit"....I have it come up in Notepad++...I edit, click save in Notepad++, upload the changed file as prompted by FileZilla, and then reload browser.

I do the same thing with the CSS files and that works great.

So...I need to learn what @toplakd is hinting for me to do, and perhaps that will solve it.

Just now, wakabayashi said:

you need to view your settings under "performance"

OK...I have ....I have every cache set to off.....recompile set to on.....cleared the cache.....reloaded pages.....nothing.....Still getting old data that I have updated.

Still working on it...reading what I can....etc.

As an added note, just to be thorough, I checked the optimizations on the hosting side (A2 Hosting), and as best I can tell A2 views this installation as a PrestaShop installation (makes sense) and as a result they have three areas of optimization:

• Basic optimizations of PrestaShop (with many tings underneath this option)
  • Memcached
  • TurboCached

In every case, all optimizations are disabled. 

8 minutes ago, wakabayashi said:

Download the file with filezilla. Open it with an editor and check if the changes are in there...

OK...I did this, and in spite of changing the file...and I am really sure I changed it...the file had the old info in it.

I closed everything, reopened using FileZilla, made sure I downloaded a fresh copy, and redid the edits....

And it worked this time, and reflected on the site.

I guess I don't understand.  Was everything I was doing getting lost until the cache was disabled?

I ask that question, because I would expect my changes to be there, but yet perhaps not reflected due to caching.

Edited by jfnewell1965

@jfnewell1965

have you tried viewing it in incognito mode? your browser cache, especially if you are using chrome, might need to be emptied.. otherwise, it might mean that the file wasnt changed at all.. or the server did not accept the changes you made.

you can also, remove the TB cache from the advance parameters -> performance -> clear cache

hopes this helps a bit.

• Like 1