thirty bees forum

cPanel price increases

Factor

Here are the prices prior to the increase, compliments of the Internet Archive's WayBack Machine

The lowest level of the new accounts actually doesn't seem like a bad deal since it offers 5 accounts now when it only offered 1 before. Still, for anyone that only needs 1 account that's an extra $5/month for nothing.

The mid tier goes up by $10/month and now limits users to 30 accounts. The top tier stays the same price but now maxes out at 100 accounts unless you pay extra for more. They've also removed the yearly discounts which were a substantial savings before.

This definitely reaffirms my decision to go with a free panel (CWP). The cheapest version of cPanel now costs as much as I pay for my entire VULTR VPS and VULTR isn't even a particularly cheap VPS provider!

1 hour ago, lesley said:

The downside is you have to use CentOS. 

That got me curious and actually cPanel and CWP have the same distro support: CentOS, RHEL, and CloudLinux.

I guess that's one of the reasons CentOS is the most popular distro for web servers.

PCI Compliance is a giant pain in the ass at the best of times. I do not expect to deal with card data directly and will use PayPal & Stripe to process all payments. Maybe at some future time it will be an issue for me but not right now. (Card processing rates for small businesses in Japan are absurd so using PayPal & Stripe really won't cost me much if anything.)

I can't find the data I read about it, though I have just been trying.

The website you linked to seems to say that UNIX is still by far the dominant platform (nearly 2:1) for hosting, which I guess means BSD. Are there really that many web servers running on BSD these days?

It’s all POSIX...  Linux uses a term called Distro short for distribution.  Slackware, red hat, Debian, arch, gentoo all Linux. Just different coders and philosophy .. like TB and PS.

BSD is posix as well. It’s not Linux. It’s it own animal. It strengthens is in the Server area.  

Debian distro is the father of Ubuntu if you have heard of them.  It is long touted the most stable distro.  It has the longest release cycle usually.  

CentOS came from Redhat once they when sort of commercial. 

Edited by Factor