thirty bees forum

How arrange address fields in my account and one page checkout

x97wehner

Hello,

In the back office go to : Localization >> Countries

and click on right side button : "edit" for the country you want, here it's United States

from there you have Address format ... Then Here you go ! 🙂

firstname lastname
company
address1 address2
city, State:name postcode
phone
phone_mobile

change the line you want and order it as you like.

Edited by zen
  • Like 2

in the community-theme-default, you'll have to edit "address.tpl" file

starting line 103

{if $field_name eq 'postcode'}
        {assign var="postCodeExist" value=true}
        <div class="required postcode form-group unvisible">
          <label for="postcode">{l s='Zip/Postal Code'} <sup>*</sup></label>
          <input class="is_required validate form-control" data-validate="{$address_validation.$field_name.validate}" type="text" id="postcode" name="postcode" value="{if isset($smarty.post.postcode)}{$smarty.post.postcode}{else}{if isset($address->postcode)}{$address->postcode|escape:'html':'UTF-8'}{/if}{/if}">
        </div>
      {/if}
      {if $field_name eq 'city'}
        <div class="required form-group">
          <label for="city">{l s='City'} <sup>*</sup></label>
          <input class="is_required validate form-control" data-validate="{$address_validation.$field_name.validate}" type="text" name="city" id="city" value="{if isset($smarty.post.city)}{$smarty.post.city}{else}{if isset($address->city)}{$address->city|escape:'html':'UTF-8'}{/if}{/if}" maxlength="64" required>
        </div>
        {* if customer hasn't update his layout address, country has to be verified but it's deprecated *}
      {/if}
      {if $field_name eq 'Country:name' || $field_name eq 'country' || $field_name eq 'Country:iso_code'}
          <label for="id_country">{l s='Country'} <sup>*</sup></label>
          <select id="id_country" class="form-control" name="id_country" required>{$countries_list}</select>
        </div>
      {/if}
      {if $field_name eq 'State:name'}
        {assign var="stateExist" value=true}
        <div class="required id_state form-group">
          <label for="id_state">{l s='State'} <sup>*</sup></label>
          <select name="id_state" id="id_state" class="form-control">
            <option value="">-</option>
          </select>
        </div>
      {/if}

and change it for that :

<input class="is_required validate form-control" data-validate="{$address_validation.$field_name.validate}" type="text" name="city" id="city" value="{if isset($smarty.post.city)}{$smarty.post.city}{else}{if isset($address->city)}{$address->city|escape:'html':'UTF-8'}{/if}{/if}" maxlength="64" required>
        </div>
        {* if customer hasn't update his layout address, country has to be verified but it's deprecated *}
      {/if}
          </select>
        </div>
      {/if}
          <input class="is_required validate form-control" data-validate="{$address_validation.$field_name.validate}" type="text" id="postcode" name="postcode" value="{if isset($smarty.post.postcode)}{$smarty.post.postcode}{else}{if isset($address->postcode)}{$address->postcode|escape:'html':'UTF-8'}{/if}{/if}">
        </div>
      {/if}
      {if $field_name eq 'Country:name' || $field_name eq 'country' || $field_name eq 'Country:iso_code'}
          <select id="id_country" class="form-control" name="id_country" required>{$countries_list}</select>
        </div>
      {/if}

6 hours ago, zen said:

in the community-theme-default, you'll have to edit "address.tpl" file

starting line 103

</div>
      {/if}
        </div>
      {/if}
        </div>
      {/if}
          </select>
        </div>
      {/if}

and change it for that :

</div>
      {/if}
          </select>
        </div>
      {/if}
        </div>
      {/if}
        </div>
      {/if}

That's what I thought it would be also, but it doesn't affect anything. Same format.

27 minutes ago, Occam said:

I hope not. In this case, European users are more likely to opt for other shop systems. It would be better if the arrangement were flexible so that the order could be rearranged without changing the core.

I did not mean be deleted from the system . sorry..

7 minutes ago, Occam said:

I know this format which unfortunately does not comply with some of the bigger European countries though throughout the EU there is no common standard. For instance UK is more likely between the US postal format, but not the same.

Well we should use the 80/20 rule.  What is the most widely adopted postal standards.  Those should be added to the code.  The other 20 percent should have to modify.

Edited by Factor

48 minutes ago, datakick said:

You can copy the theme to different directory, install it, and make changes there. 

This may be a desirable solution from a programmer's point of view, but most merchants are pure users. They don't have your knowledge and don't want it. They are looking for a ready-made and want to sell. We already experienced this in Prestashop when Francois-Marie had the idea of the Starter Theme. That absorbed a lot of energy and was discarded at some point. The concept of the child-theme also seems to step in the same direction - but I feel that the needs of the average user are not met with such features.

Edited by Occam
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Occam said:

merchants are pure users.

As my wife usually states..  "what you mean it just doesn't work..."  I have said it a few times this week alone.  You have to unlatch your programmer mind and think like a user.  It should be KISS and standards based.  In this example:

We all grew up filling out address' we were taught how from like age 13.  So we expect it to just be that standard.

Through some tinkering I figured out the issue here, sort of. My issue was a result of me wanting to insert the state iso code into the address in place of the name. The OOB code requires country name and state name on the forms. When I replaced the state name with state iso code, the forms didn't know where to place the state name field and shoved it below country, since both are required. That made my printed addresses the way I wanted, to NA standards, but put the form field order way out of whack.

Replacing the iso code with name on the address makes the forms render correctly, but now the address spells out the state, which can work but is undesireable IMO.

Since the state field is dynamic based on the country, what I'd love to know is how to put the country at the top of only the forms, so that the user can designate it and then have the correct prefiltered state list when they get to it further down the form. The current flow I have now is non-user friendly if my user is non-U.S. based. They have to skip the state field, populate the country, and then go back up and populate the revised state list.

• Like 1