thirty bees forum

Eager to migrate from Prestashop 1.6

koskimaa

Question

So I've been running my shop on Presashop 1.6 for a while now, and I "hate" it because all of the bugs. Why do I still use it then? Well, I invested months and months of time learning it and a lot of cash in modules, plus it's the only system I know of that does true multi-currency and is still open source.

Now, ever since I first heard of Thirthybees I've been super excited about it. So the big question is:

• Now that thirtybees 1.0.0 is out - how do we Prestashop 1.6 users migrate as smoothly as possible without having to re-build the entire store from the ground up?
  • What problems could we expect in the migration process?
  • What's the recommended way of doing a test migration before going live with the PS 1.6 -> TB migrated install?

btw, love the new forum. Blazing fast, easy to navigate.

Love, John P. Koskimaa - supergangu.com

@wakabayashi said in Eager to migrate from Prestashop 1.6:

Michael Dekker is working on "auto" migration. You should wait till this module is out.

When it's out keep in mind, that you should always make backups before you do a migration. I always make a clone of my live shop and then proceed it (upgrate/migartion) first there and see what happens.

Thanks for the response! Ok, got it - I've worked with Michael before, he's a great guy. Gonna sit tight for the migration module, then!

Regarding doing a clone of the live shop - what's your favorite way of doing so? I don't want to end up with multiple database copies that I don't know which one is live/most recent and screw everything up. / versioning noob.

For the record, I do backup my shop every day through Codeguard. Don't think their service allows cloning/testing though.

Michael Dekker is working on "auto" migration. You should wait till this module is out. When it's out keep in mind, that you should always make backups before you do a migration. I always make a clone of my live shop and then proceed it (upgrade/migration) first there and see what happens.

Well I do it like that: 1. I just copy my whole ps folder to another server or subfolder. 2. I create a new database and import the data 3. I change shop_url table 4. I change config datas

All steps are very important. If you don't know what you are doing. you should be very careful...

@koskimaa, thanks for asking what I was about to. @wakabayashi - I don't know how to do steps 2, 3 and 4, so I'll wait for Michael Dekker's "auto" migration.

Thanks for agreeing with me, @koskimaa.

The moderators / admins promised to have an auto migration tool and documentation, which they will, because they know we're depending on them (smile), but we have to wait until it's ready. It's just with all the excitement being generated, it's hard to be patient!

This is a big project and they need more volunteers, which is why I wish I knew coding. :)

Just wanna say. If you don't know how to clone your shop, you shouldn't try to migrate withouth the modul. Just wait.

To make to clone, is actually not really TB related. But it's also not that hard. Maybe here is somebody, which finds time to make a little movie tutorial!? Problem is always, that your provider don't have the same software. Some use cpanel, some plesk...

@wakabayashi True, true. It's when databases gets in the picture where I don't always exactly know what to do. I use Siteground which provides cpanel. They're OK but I would much rather switch to a TB optimized hosting partner when the migration is complete.

@wakabayashi yeah I saw that and looked into it a little bit. cloudways looks promising! Paying 30 usd per month for hosting that just barely runs my shop OK. Is there any info on best practices for getting TB up and running with a CDN, and which service is recommended?

Michael, thanks for the updates. It's good that you migrated your own store to see what needs tweaking. I'm sending you and crosscut01 a "virtual" upvote. :) (Can't vote any more today, for those who don't understand this).

"No deadlines" is the way to go. A little less pressure and a lot less aggravation!

@wakabayashi How should it be possible to export and import variants? Also Orders can currently not be imported exported or better. You say "I create a new database and import the data" that sounds as if it is not a problem.

In reality, however, it is not so easy.

@mdekker You say: "After that we will start working on the migration module, but we do not set a deadline for the module. Deadlines kill software, but I want you to know that we are working on it!"

There are some who have great interest in how you did it. Maybe someone can participate in your previous steps. Maybe even someone can write a documentation or develop a different way. It does not always have to be the Liveshop.

@Lausli said in Eager to migrate from Prestashop 1.6:

@wakabayashi How should it be possible to export and import variants? Also Orders can currently not be imported exported or better. You say "I create a new database and import the data" that sounds as if it is not a problem.

I gave a short explanation how to do a clone. It was not a tutorial, how to migrate to TB. If you read my posts here, you see, that I was always recommending to wait for the migration tool...

We're in the process of upgrading our aging PS1.5 store - currently we have most things working in PS1.6 latest version and we are just finishing off our theming and a few unique back-office tweaks..

I would love it if we could somehow get this working with TB instead. Some of our testing has indicated severe problems with 1.6 that I'm guessing we can get fixed. An example is importing of products - we have nearly 10K on our site currently and that typically expands by 1-200 each month. A full import in 1.6 takes a good 5-6 hours if we include images - during which our search is broken.

I have tried simply switching to TB, updating the config file (settings.inc.php) to match encryption keys, database etc - but it will not let me into the back office - simply tells me the employee doesn't exist. Can anyone give me any pointers on what else needs to be changed or why this is incompatible?

Either that, or how can we go about copying orders and customers into TB from PS without losing any passwords that customers might have set? We have full category and product csv's available for import so copying them across isn't too important.

@rabbit80 I've been too into this situation. I've ended restarting the admin's password via phpmyadmin...

There are also a couple of problems. For example, the articles permalinks system has been modified (for better :dancer_tone1: ), but you would have to save every existing article to generate the permalinks.

As I understand, this kind of little issues will be automatized in a migration tool. About the login... I don't know how TB will handle it without forcing to restart the password to every users.

I'm following this thread closely :)

@mdekker True! I also had to modify the length of the password field in the database if I'm not wrong!

Is the repo of the migration module available anywhere? I would love to help where I can :D

We have several shops at our work that I can replicate into several environments to test/improve the module, find special cases... :D

@mdekker Thanks for this.

As we are in the process of redesigning our store, now would be the ideal opportunity for us to test ThirtyBees - the only migration we really need at this point are customers and order history, the rest we can import as neccesary. What is the current state of the migration module in this respect?