thirty bees forum

[Please help] Strange Errors in new Category create page

Acer

Question

Hi

Running TB 1.1.0 (with latest Panda):

I'm getting the following strange errors when I try to create a new Category in Admin / Back-end
I've made no changes to AdminCategoriesController.php.

Notice on line 638 in file AdminCategoriesController.php
[8] Undefined index: category

Notice on line 647 in file AdminCategoriesController.php
[8] Undefined index: medium

The only category related thing I did recently was removing some duplicated main categories that somehow got created on CSV Import...

Your help is appreciated in advance.

10 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, wakabayashi said:

Please use search, before you open a new thread: 

It's not only good for the forum. Also for you. If multiple persons report the same bug, it is quite clear, that it's a real issue 🙂

Ok, fair point. However, you're hinting that if it's only one person, it gets ignored. As I see there's still not proper solution to Alan's post on February 6.
What's bizarre is that I don't think it's a Panda issue. Everything was fine and then seemingly randomly when I tried to create a new Category this error occurred.
Also, it seems that there's been a similar problem and even an older one in PS 1.7, 1.6 going back years. Seems like one of those deep / unresolved errors...

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/952960-backend-8-undefined-index-category-error/

Maybe someone can provide a solution?

Edited by Theo

6 minutes ago, Theo said:

Ok, fair point. However, you're hinting that if it's only one person, it gets ignored. As I see there's still not proper solution to Alan's post on February 6.

I didn't wanna say, that it doesn't get fixed, if only one person reports it. But the past has showed, if only one person reports a bug, it is often caused by server configuration, external module or external theme. Now with your report, this case became much more unlikely.

To make clear: I didn't want to offend you or something. We are always thankful for clear bug reports 🙂 Right now, I believe only datakick is fixing bugs.

30 minutes ago, wakabayashi said:

I didn't wanna say, that it doesn't get fixed, if only one person reports it. But the past has showed, if only one person reports a bug, it is often caused by server configuration, external module or external theme. Now with your report, this case became much more unlikely.

To make clear: I didn't want to offend you or something. We are always thankful for clear bug reports 🙂 Right now, I believe only datakick is fixing bugs.

No not at all, no offence taken 🙂 However, imo, experience has also shown that sometimes it's the one "outlier guy" who finds a "very real" bug that no one else has seen before.
Maybe a unique use-case. So no, I feel that each "bug report" whether it's reported by many people or just by one should be taken seriously and not just written off to "Server issue / external module". It's silly, because it's a very real bug that could get ignored.
Only to blow up in everyone's faces later down the line when 1.1.1 gets released, when everyone catches up and uses the faulty feature all of a sudden and "boom".

Also, while we're talking about this - I've noticed somewhat worryingly that even if multiple people (i.e. more than 1 person) reports a bug, it seems that all we hear from the team is silence / crickets. It's like the team fell off the planet or something...

Edited by Theo

8 hours ago, Theo said:

No not at all, no offence taken 🙂 However, imo, experience has also shown that sometimes it's the one "outlier guy" who finds a "very real" bug that no one else has seen before.
Maybe a unique use-case. So no, I feel that each "bug report" whether it's reported by many people or just by one should be taken seriously and not just written off to "Server issue / external module". It's silly, because it's a very real bug that could get ignored.
Only to blow up in everyone's faces later down the line when 1.1.1 gets released, when everyone catches up and uses the faulty feature all of a sudden and "boom".

Also, while we're talking about this - I've noticed somewhat worryingly that even if multiple people (i.e. more than 1 person) reports a bug, it seems that all we hear from the team is silence / crickets. It's like the team fell off the planet or something...

Talking about bugs on forum is not bug reporting. Forum is (should be) primarily used for discussion between users, and not as a communication channel with developers.

When you find a bug, please file a github issue. Try to describe it as best as you can, come up with reprosteps, etc... That way it will be tracked, and it will not get lost in the forum archives

On 2/28/2020 at 9:36 PM, datakick said:

Talking about bugs on forum is not bug reporting. Forum is (should be) primarily used for discussion between users, and not as a communication channel with developers.

When you find a bug, please file a github issue. Try to describe it as best as you can, come up with reprosteps, etc... That way it will be tracked, and it will not get lost in the forum archives

Sorry, but your comment does not make any sense.
Bizarrely, the forum is where most people come to report bugs (as you can see in most forum posts), and as you put it "have a communication channel with the developers".
It's also where the developers have assisted us normal users to sort out problems and bugs on many occasions (yourself included).
These solutions in some cases get filed by the developers as issues in Github and hopefully get sorted out and included in the next release.

Also, if what you say is true, then why did you create a forum post specifically for Bug hunts for the next 1.1.1 release?
And funny that, why is there a Bug Report Topic in the Forums?

And, maybe if the forum isn't a "communication channel" with the developers, then maybe you can direct us to the correct communication channel for the developers?
Is there a Slack channel we could join for example?

Edited by Theo

Sorry, but your comment does not make any sense.
Bizarrely, the forum is where most people come to report bugs (as you can see in most forum posts), and as you put it "have a communication channel with the developers".
It's also where the developers have assisted us normal users to sort out problems and bugs on many occasions (yourself included).
These solutions in some cases get filed by the developers as issues in Github and hopefully get sorted out and included in the next release.

The inherent property of forum posts is that they get out of sight very quickly. Developers don't even notice them most of the time. It's not like we are sitting 24/7 and reading everything you guys post here. I usually open forum for 10 minutes during my coffee break. During those 10 minutes I manage to read notifications, answer some PM. And sometimes I can even read some posts. One or two of them, at most. I never get a chance to read them all.

Sometimes it's obvious from the post that there is some issue that should be fixed. I usually open a github issue for it. But sometimes I might not have enough time to do it. And when that happens, I usually I forget that I ever saw such post, and github issue is not filed, and it will never be fixed. 

If you, on the other hand, filed a bug report directly on github, the bug will be addressed eventually. It might not be immediately, but it will be eventually. The bug will be visible to all developers (even those that don't visit forum) until it's closed.

To post bug repots on forum seems to me like a waste of time -- if no developer sees it, the author wrote it for nothing. If developer sees it, he must spent his own time to copy it into github issue - that's a time that he could have been spent on actually fixing the issue...

Also, if what you say is true, then why did you create a forum post specifically for Bug hunts for the next 1.1.1 release?

Obviously that was 'call for help', and forums are ideal for such calls. Don't you agree? And, by the way, that post clearly states that

"If you find any bug, please report it to github.

And, maybe if the forum isn't a "communication channel" with the developers, then maybe you can direct us to the correct communication channel for the developers?

https://github.com/thirtybees/thirtybees

If the problem is not posted on github, it will not get fixed. You can take a chance and hope that some dev will notice your post here on the forum. Or you can file that issue directly and make sure it will get noticed.

• Thanks 2

Maybe your right @datakick and I appreciate your time you assign to this project (are you the only one nowadays?).

Wouldnt it be good to add an easy manual for filing issues to GitHub for us newbies so we can do it like you would like it to be done cause I guess many of us are not very familiar with GitHub.

And if it already do exist one please point us in the right direction.

To open a bug report on github is very easy: https://github.com/thirtybees/thirtybees/issues

- Just click on New Issue and use a self speaking title. It will also propose you already existing issues, that could be the same or related. Check them out, before you open a new one.
- Describe your problem in a way, that somebody with a clean thirtybees installation could reproduce it.
- If there is an error message, copy it. Also check, if there is something in the browser console.
- Screenshots or short videos can help.
- Say which tb version you use. It can also be helpful to know the php version.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wakabayashi said:

To open a bug report on github is very easy: https://github.com/thirtybees/thirtybees/issues

- Just click on New Issue and use a self speaking title. It will also propose you already existing issues, that could be the same or related. Check them out, before you open a new one.
- Describe your problem in a way, that somebody with a clean thirtybees installation could reproduce it.
- If there is an error message, copy it. Also check, if there is something in the browser console.
- Screenshots or short videos can help.
- Say which tb version you use. It can also be helpful to know the php version.

Thanks @wakabayashi

I will add some bug reports there next time I find something.