thirty bees forum

Multistore Configuration

gospodinwizard

Question

Thanks to the helpful folks here, I now understand and have been able to successfully setup multistore for store URLs on the same web host.  The question I have is, is it possible to setup for a store URL hosted on a different web server?  I'm sure it's another of my noob questions....thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

I'm not sure if I understand correctly the question. Do you want to have multistore for different domains? If that's the case, then sure -- you need to set up your DNS so both domains point to the same IP address / same server, and then set up multistore urls correctly in your admin. If unsure how to do that, contact your hosting provider, they will be able to help

35 minutes ago, datakick said:

I'm not sure if I understand correctly the question. Do you want to have multistore for different domains? If that's the case, then sure -- you need to set up your DNS so both domains point to the same IP address / same server, and then set up multistore urls correctly in your admin. If unsure how to do that, contact your hosting provider, they will be able to help

In my case I have 2 domains with one hosting provider and 2 with another....thats all I was getting at.

Having one multishop across multiple servers/installations can obviously not work. One installation can't read/write files and database of the other.

A theoretical scenario would be to connect both tb installations to the same database. tb doesn't support that and even if it tried to support it, it'd likely be pretty error prone.

Solution is to put all four shops on the same server. DNS records can be on distinct hostings, as long as they all point to the same IP address.

• Like 1

I appreciate all the input greatly.  I've gotten what I need and I really didn't think it was possible in a practical sense but I thought I'd ask in case I was wrong.  Yes, I have three storefronts.  Two are on one server and the other is on a different.  I specifically chose not to try to point all of them to the same database.  I wanted at least two databases.  I also chose not to have all three on one server.  I wanted redundancy.  If one web server went down or was unavailable, I needed to make sure I had at least one operational server.  Again, thanks for all the help.  It is truly appreciated.

• Like 1