thirty bees forum

Recomment me a good hosting service for TB

Bside2234

Let me start off by saying, I'm not super techy when it comes to this stuff but I've been using/modifying/fixing Prestashop for a pretty long time now (guessing since somewhere around 2010) all by myself so I know a tiny bit of what I'm doing. I just don't want to get into something that is too complicated or going to take a lot of time up figuring things out.
My store is pretty low volume so I don't really need any professional or large store kind of service. Right now I'm using some UK based company called LiquidNet. I recently tried installing TB and ran into a issue:

and the only conclusion I have is that there is something different with my server than everybody else's and I don't know what it is so I'm looking into something else. There has to be something better these days. I've been with Liquidnet since I started using Prestashop. I thought this would be a great time to see if there was a better option while I'm switching to TB.

Here's what I have currently:

10GB Backup
40GB Email Storage
Unlimited Traffic
5 Domains/Unlimited Subdomains
Dedicated IP
20 MySQL DB's
SSL cert is extra I believe although I can't find a receipt for it so it may be included in my total.
I pay $107 a year for this so I would like to stay in this ballpark if I can. I'm US based (Washington State). I looked into Cloudways as they were once a partner here. It kind of seems complicated and the way emails are handled kind of threw me off. I need the "bulk" emails for the order status emails, newsletters, etc. but I also need a @griffineffets.com emaiil because I do a lot of answering questions, helping, etc. and it seemed like I couldn't have both and/or
it was going to cost a lot more to have both if it was possible.

https://forum.thirtybees.com/topic/1860-1860/changing-hosting/?tab=comments#comment-19279 ... might have some pointers

I use the cheapest deal from Zonat.net which I think is Hostific in the US and Hosting.co.uk in the UK. It stops serving for an hour or so every few months. Their Cpanel Softaculous installer can install a Thirtybees test site in a few clicks. I think a lot of hosts offer easy installations with Fantastico Softaculous or Installatron, and Thirtybees is on the first two.

I haven't learned how to use Googles Lets Encrypt free SSL and did a stupendous work-around with Cloudflare free SSL instead. Zonat won't do it for you automatically on the cheapest deals but there's something about it on their CPanel.

I have not tried a high traffic site on Zonat, but the allowed web space is good. There is room for a site and a test site or two. I feel that I'm taking advantage when I ask them for support at the price I pay, but got sane replies when I did.

Zonat quote a low fixed price monthly or yearly - not a special offer for one year followed by a less special offer.

Fixed IP is not included in the cheapest deal.

Speed seems good for customers in the same country. but I do a bit of caching and use webp. Fontawsome and Google Web Fonts hold things back a bit.

After falling-out with another host, I use a different company for domain registration so that nobody can stop me moving. Penguin-uk.com/ are cheap and helpful for domains. (Penguin's £1 a month hosting is cheaper than Zonat but can only host a music book site with four or five products and you have to ask them to turn-off warnings about the size of the site. I've linked to the site in case anyone wants to do speed tests. Penguin's £3+VAT a month deal looks good )

Edited by veganline

Here is a link to my currant host. I however have a vps. https://www.knownhost.com/web-hosting.html

I have been with KH for 5 years and before that I used Servint. I just don't have the time for BS hosts and have always preferred top tier. So when I need a new host I end up on web hosting talk. My recommendation for KH comes from the info that was on WHT 5 years ago.

When getting problems solved in the KH support panel only take a couple of minutes. It usually says something like 2 minutes for the next support staff while in the waiting zone. So it's fast with very impressive support staff in the que every time. 

Edited by Script-Fu

17 hours ago, led24ee said:

I use this. https://www.zone.ee/en/web-hosting/prices/

Zero problem so far with PS and TB.

I'm tired of "Unlimited" and "Free" offers.

Seems like zone.ee is based in Europe and I'm in the U.S. so I probably should look for something more local but I guess the one I use now is based in Europe somewhere but they have servers here too so I'll look into the zone.ee a bit more. Thank you.

Right now I'm leaning towards A2 Hosting or Hostinger. I have a few others I'm looking at too but these two seem the most attractive to me so far.

Yes. It's in Europe (Estonia). When You look a new host then also look how they handling spam and phishing email. For example some month ago there was something wrong with Amazon web hosting. Spammers was able to use this to send log-in attempts. Also there was a lot less spam after this https://www.techradar.com/news/europes-large-web-hosting-provider-knocked-offline-following-fire

3 hours ago, led24ee said:

Yes. It's in Europe (Estonia). When You look a new host then also look how they handling spam and phishing email. For example some month ago there was something wrong with Amazon web hosting. Spammers was able to use this to send log-in attempts. Also there was a lot less spam after this https://www.techradar.com/news/europes-large-web-hosting-provider-knocked-offline-following-fire

Thank you. I will.

On 8/19/2021 at 11:20 PM, Bside2234 said:

Let me start off by saying, I'm not super techy when it comes to this stuff but I've been using/modifying/fixing Prestashop for a pretty long time now (guessing since somewhere around 2010) all by myself so I know a tiny bit of what I'm doing. I just don't want to get into something that is too complicated or going to take a lot of time up figuring things out.
My store is pretty low volume so I don't really need any professional or large store kind of service. Right now I'm using some UK based company called LiquidNet. I recently tried installing TB and ran into a issue:

and the only conclusion I have is that there is something different with my server than everybody else's and I don't know what it is so I'm looking into something else. There has to be something better these days. I've been with Liquidnet since I started using Prestashop. I thought this would be a great time to see if there was a better option while I'm switching to TB.

Here's what I have currently:

10GB Backup
40GB Email Storage
Unlimited Traffic
5 Domains/Unlimited Subdomains
Dedicated IP
20 MySQL DB's
SSL cert is extra I believe although I can't find a receipt for it so it may be included in my total.
I pay $107 a year for this so I would like to stay in this ballpark if I can. I'm US based (Washington State). I looked into Cloudways as they were once a partner here. It kind of seems complicated and the way emails are handled kind of threw me off. I need the "bulk" emails for the order status emails, newsletters, etc. but I also need a @griffineffets.com emaiil because I do a lot of answering questions, helping, etc. and it seemed like I couldn't have both and/or
it was going to cost a lot more to have both if it was possible.

What about hosing your own small server ?? - If you have access to a fiber internet access, you can also be your own hosting provider.  Let a hosting provider handle your email (to complicated for to do your self safely without some experience and knowledge) and get your registrar to forward the domain to the IP of the fiber line. Any hardware built in the last 10 years will be sufficient to host a "pretty low volume site", if running Debian/ Ubuntu Linux or similar.  Even the new Raspberry Pi 4 with 4 or 8 gb memory are quite capable to host a small site if equipped with a SSD like the Samsung T5. And believe me:  If a solution like the raspberrypi4 suggested above is not sufficient, or you fear poor performance, you have a luxury problem, since the raspberry4 8 GB version with SSD is a quite capable small solution for hosting a thirty bees website.

20 minutes ago, Petter said:

What about hosing your own small server ?? - If you have access to a fiber internet access, you can also be your own hosting provider.  Let a hosting provider handle your email (to complicated for to do your self safely without some experience and knowledge) and get your registrar to forward the domain to the IP of the fiber line. Any hardware built in the last 10 years will be sufficient to host a "pretty low volume site", if running Debian/ Ubuntu Linux or similar.  Even the new Raspberry Pi 4 with 4 or 8 gb memory are quite capable to host a small site if equipped with a SSD like the Samsung T5. And believe me:  If a solution like the raspberrypi4 suggested above is not sufficient, or you fear poor performance, you have a luxury problem, since the raspberry4 8 GB version with SSD is a quite capable small solution for hosting a thirty bees website.

I actually do have fiber internet access and I'll look into it but I don't have a lot of time to learn how to do this stuff and/or deal with setting things up, and/or maintaining stuff so this looks a little complicated for me but I'll still look into it.

2 hours ago, zen said:

What do you want exactly from your hosting, what budget are you willing to pay ?

Where are your customers ?

I'd like to stay in the relative ballpark of what I'm paying now ($107/yr). I'm not opposed to doubling my hosting budget though if it's going to be worth it. Customers are mainly in the U.S. but I do a fair amount of shipping worldwide.

Edited by Bside2234

On 8/27/2021 at 6:59 PM, Bside2234 said:

I'd like to stay in the relative ballpark of what I'm paying now ($107/yr). I'm not opposed to doubling my hosting budget though if it's going to be worth it. Customers are mainly in the U.S. but I do a fair amount of shipping worldwide.

You should use a US based hoster, problem is to choose one, the offer is so wide.

I never got the hang. Searching "traceroute" finds services that  find you where a site is hosted on a map and probably show the redirect links on the map too. If the chain has a lot of links or goes a long way, that might explain slow speeds (I don't know detail). I suppose that fast servers tend to be near the junctions of where traffic goes. There's a transatlantic route that goes to the city of London, and there's a rented server farm just by the junction that was in-fashion with server companies last time I asked a cool person, which was about ten years ago.

The trouble is getting a site to test: a firm's servers for sales might be on something close to your customers or fast, and their shared servers for mid-market clients might be a long way away from your customers or slow. Maybe if you get the shortlist down to a few companies, you could ask them for an example of a customer's url that uses the same type of account.

Years  ago I tried the top performers on the webperf speed test site and chose the top cheap one, but I made the mistake of letting them host the domain name as well so it was very hard to move when I changed my mind. They were a tiny firm with several names that attracted sex sites, which is fine by me, and then edged-up the price each year and made it hard for the site owners to move, which is not so fine.

Edited by veganline

6 hours ago, Bside2234 said:

So I should pick one that is actually here in the U.S. and not one that just has servers here?

the main thing to focus on is where the servers are, and how there are connected, wich performances are delivered.. etc

• 5 months later...

Well, I'm gonna have to throw my current host into this mix... https://www.webhostpython.com/ 

I have to say, overall, and for the money it costs me, I am quite satisfied with their hosting services. So much so that I have moved a couple of my domain registrations over to them as well. I currently host 4 sites and 6 domains on shared hosting plans. One of those sites receives over 40k visits a month every month, 3 of them are wordpress sites, and my PS/TB site (still migrating) currently has a 14,600+ item catalog, about 300 regular repeat customers plus a few hundred not so regular, a wordpress blog, a forum that was recently discontinued for management reasons, and my own bit.ly style mini-urls processing site.

I am renewing all of the above for the 4th year now. If you do check them out, and you end up conversing with James, tell him that Dark Horse sent you.