thirty bees forum

Would a new theme be possible?

Hispano

Hi,

Why doesn't the developer community come together to make a new theme? A group of Spanish developers has developed this theme with some modules that revolve around it. @wakabayashi @zen @datakick @toplakd @jollyfrog

https://github.com/DevBlinders/classicblinders
Demo: https://theme.devblinders.com/

It is a theme that corrects all the bugs that Prestashop 1.7 has and also adds many improvements at the interface and usability level.

Crawling and indexing:

Canonicals well set up in filters and order systems
     Encrypted links to private sections to not link to 3xx
     Links to areas such as encrypted cart
     Well configured infinity scroll

Semantics:

Relevant text anchors (text and images)
     Data markup with JSON-LD
     Optimized semantic hierarchy
     Short and long descriptions on all page types

Internal authority:

No loss of authority for irrelevant sections
     No empty or irrelevant anchor text
     Authority Priority to Major Categories and Brands

Couldn't something similar be done but with an interface like the one that the new Prestashop 8.0 will bring? I think it would give a lot of strength to this project. Thanks a lot!

https://github.com/PrestaShop/hummingbird

https://www.figma.com/file/LfVl5leeSKcVUhSaYwhbtM/New-Theme?node-id=0%3A1

I don't understand, what this devBlinders do!? If it's just about fixing and improving a little, they could submit PRs to prestashop. Optically it looks the same as classical theme. The last commit was 9 months ago... The hummingbird project is more interesting to me, but I am also sceptical:

It was impossible to fix all these issues on the Classic theme without breaking the whole ecosystem of modules and community themes. We decided that it was time for a change and a new theme. This is not a complete rework because we did not want to change everything, but we were able to significantly improve the default PrestaShop theme. This new theme can be considered a rebuilt Classic Theme, different, yet similar.

So it breaks everything, but is no rewrite either. What is it then? Some guys would say: a typical prestashop project.

To reply your intital question, why there is no collaboration... It's a huge workload. Jollyfrog is not even active here and I haven't seen any real value from him. @zen has done his cisero theme. @datakick has other stuff to do. @toplakd and I are merchants. So we might be working on things, that is not intented to be public. The theme I am working on since months is just for me. I would only reconsider with a clear approach from community, what a new theme needs and if it's financed in some ways.

Edited by wakabayashi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's way easier to make the theme modification just for own use.

I have heavily modified the Original-Community theme to suit my needs and to be as mobile friendly as possible, with minimal modules enabled.

But such theme wont work well for 99.9% of other shops as it's too much modified and will most likely not work when more modules are activated (native or third party)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toplakd said:

But such theme wont work well for 99.9% of other shops as it's too much modified and will most likely not work when more modules are activated (native or third party)

Thats a very important part. Nowdays I try to code as clean as possible, but from time to time I say myself "fuck off". Example: why should I invest a week for having customization in the theme, if I don't use this at all 🙂

Thank you very much for replying. I hope my question didn't bother you because it wasn't my intention. DevBlinders is a group of Spanish developers who made a free theme for Prestashop. They also developed some modules and if you want to unlock all the features, you have to pay for them. I think this project needs a change of scenery and could start with a more attractive and intuitive theme.

11 hours ago, Hispano said:

Thank you very much for replying. I hope my question didn't bother you because it wasn't my intention. DevBlinders is a group of Spanish developers who made a free theme for Prestashop. They also developed some modules and if you want to unlock all the features, you have to pay for them. I think this project needs a change of scenery and could start with a more attractive and intuitive theme.

All good 🙂 I just tried to explain in clear words. The questions about a new theme comes up a lot lately.

"more attractive and intuitive" sounds good. But every merchants has a different view on it. Personally I try to simplify everything for my customer. Taking away all element that arent needed. And my main goal is to make it almost as mobile friendly as an app. But it's easier said than done.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2022 at 4:04 AM, wakabayashi said:

Personally I try to simplify everything for my customer. Taking away all element that arent needed. And my main goal is to make it almost as mobile friendly as an app. But it's easier said than done.

That sounds great. I could imagine quite a few here would buy your theme. :D

• Like 1