thirty bees forum

How to track conversions from Google / Microsoft / Facebook / etc. ads without embedding code from Google / Microsoft / etc?

30knees

Question

8 answers to this question

2 hours ago, 30knees said:

Is there a way to track conversions from Google / Microsoft / Facebook / etc. ads without embedding code from Google / Microsoft / etc? We don't want to use standard coversion tracking code for privacy reasons.

Hi,

If I understand correctly, you don't want to add UTM tags to your links?

Thanks both, UTM tags are fine, I just don't want to use a Google tracking pixel.

Do I need to use Matomo to track the UTM tags or can they be tracked with any of the thirtybees stats tools? I probably don't need the full capabilities of Matomo.  

35 minutes ago, 30knees said:

Thanks both, UTM tags are fine, I just don't want to use a Google tracking pixel.

Do I need to use Matomo to track the UTM tags or can they be tracked with any of the thirtybees stats tools? I probably don't need the full capabilities of Matomo.  

build-in stats in thirty bees does not process UTM tags. Those stats are based on webserver requests only, very low level.

If you want to track conversion, funnels, etc, then you really need to use tool like matomo or ganalytics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 30knees said:

To track, you need to add a tracking module or system.

• Like 1

I was working on this recently as well. What I do: Only load the conversion pixel on the confirmation page, then submit it and on next page refresh delete all the cookies again. 

Like that you have the conversions, but you basically don't let the big sites track your users on your site. If this is a clever or a nonsense solution, is up to priority. I also don't know, how negatively it affects retargeting stuff. I believe in general one has to decide, if we want to protect customer data or get the best results from ads. To have both in perfection is probably not possible.

2 hours ago, wakabayashi said:

I was working on this recently as well. What I do: Only load the conversion pixel on the confirmation page, then submit it and on next page refresh delete all the cookies again. 

Like that you have the conversions, but you basically don't let the big sites track your users on your site. If this is a clever or a nonsense solution, is up to priority. I also don't know, how negatively it affects retargeting stuff. I believe in general one has to decide, if we want to protect customer data or get the best results from ads. To have both in perfection is probably not possible.

That's a nice setup.

I agree, one can't have the best of both worlds.

I'll look into Matomo for now and look at your setup depending on how Matomo works.