thirty bees forum

Litespeed and Thirty Bees

Smile

Question

13 answers to this question

With the cache module and all the other caches in TB 1.5, it is quite faster.  The only one I am not sure if we can use or not is Full page cache in TB.  It does not seem like a typical full page cache, but technically, according to the documentation for the Litespeed cache, it should be off as it may conflict.  Other than that, nothing to say except the separate view for mobile in the LS Cache does not seem to work very well.  And different views for groups or views for logged or non logged individuals crashes some PS modules.

I also noted that vanilla Litespeed was still considerably faster than Apache and even Nginx as Proxy, which is what I had before.  And our store was significantly smaller back then.  So Litespeed is definitely an improvement for us.  I also like Cyberpanel, which is like a cpanel for Litespeed and Openlitespeed. It has its growing pains but now works mostly very well for most usages.  It loads quickly and it is pretty versatile and simpler to understand than cpanel.

Edited by movieseals
Additions

16 hours ago, movieseals said:

With the cache module and all the other caches in TB 1.5, it is quite faster.  The only one I am not sure if we can use or not is Full page cache in TB.  It does not seem like a typical full page cache, but technically, according to the documentation for the Litespeed cache, it should be off as it may conflict.  Other than that, nothing to say except the separate view for mobile in the LS Cache does not seem to work very well.  And different views for groups or views for logged or non logged individuals crashes some PS modules.

I also noted that vanilla Litespeed was still considerably faster than Apache and even Nginx as Proxy, which is what I had before.  And our store was significantly smaller back then.  So Litespeed is definitely an improvement for us.  I also like Cyberpanel, which is like a cpanel for Litespeed and Openlitespeed. It has its growning pains but now works mostly very well for most usages.  It loads quickly and it is pretty versatile and simpler to understand than cpanel.

image.thumb.png.c014ba06d00ee5946a021ddf1ed7d9c2.pngThis is my config. v.1.4.1 (I used 1.4 for quite a long time and also had no issues (I could find) with my setup). Could you share yours?

I use Warehouse and I have no separate mobile view.

Did you do experiments with  "Enable Guest Mode"? If I set "Yes, guest view" the home page loads nearly instantly but sometimes I receive a popup related to product availability (probably it shows some information regarding a previous order in the shop). With First page only it's also fast but not so much.

Also the crawler - I'm unable to set it up on my shared hosting, tried on three domains and gave up. It simply does not want to index the pages, but when I open them it ways X-Litespeed-cache miss. If I reload it of course works (hit).

Otherwise the cache is definitely working but has it quirks... 

• Like 1

Wow.  Guest view set as Yes is indeed incredibly fast!

I used to get the crawler working under 1.3.  Have not yet tried with 1.5 - can update you when I do.

I managed to fix my issue: the cache works properly with group and logged in mode in 1.5 - it has issues only under 1.3.

Really enjoying what was done to 1.5 so far!  

9 hours ago, movieseals said:

Wow.  Guest view set as Yes is indeed incredibly fast!

I used to get the crawler working under 1.3.  Have not yet tried with 1.5 - can update you when I do.

I managed to fix my issue: the cache works properly with group and logged in mode in 1.5 - it has issues only under 1.3.

Really enjoying what was done to 1.5 so far!  

By 'cache' you mean the full page cache?

You should use FPC, or Litespeed cache (or any other mechanism that cache generated html cache) only if you have very, very, very static store. Otherwise you will encounter a lot of weird issues and problems.

Few examples:

1) you can have a module that gives your customers free shipping after for orders over $200. If your customer sees cached page generated for different visitor, they may or may not see this free shipping in their cart. What's worse, this information can change as they browse your site, as every page was cached in other context.

2) my revws module allows guest reviews, but still prevents creating multiple reviews by single visitor. On the product page, the module emits information if the current visitor is allowed to create review or not. Again, with cache enabled, this information will be for different visitor (when cache is hit). The javascript will allow the visitor to create review, but the backend will reject it later. Or, the javascript will block visitor from creating the review, claiming they already wrote one, even though they didn't.

Of course, FPC allows you to specify that some hooks are dynamic, and force system to them to always re-populate portion of the html data. But it's very hard to set this up correctly, because nobody knows what hook depends on. To be sure, you would have to look into source code of every module.

So, to have this set up properly requires a lot of testing, tweaking, and accepting that there will be corner cases when the system will just malfunction.

I would never advice anyone to use these kind of caches. At least not before they exhaust other options (like smarty cache stored in redis or memcached)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, the.rampage.rado said:

Currently I'm happy with Litespeed cache with stock hole punching (so only cart). I have free delivery module that's part of Warehouse but I doubt they did something special for it and it's working for now

Great that it works for you. If it indeed does, that is 🙂

The worst thing about these kind of caches is that, if something is not working, you might not even know. Because the wrong html data can be served only to a specific segment of your visitors, a segment that you are not part of. And of course, these problems can occur randomly and sporadically. Based on other visitors interactions with the cache.

• Like 1