thirty bees forum

Payment methods after sign in

LauraJ

Don't think it will speed it up any. But I have tried to find ways to make it show without signing in as I find it weird not to, but haven't had much luck... Also trying to find a way to make the dispatch button be on by default as ATM you have to choose your delivery even though there is only 1

Edited by AndyC

This is an old discussion, can't count the threads in the PS forum, and usually both sides or all variations have their pros and cons.

Of course lots of merchants ship to different countries and offer various payments, but also lots of merchants do not. They have only one or two payments systems and offer them for every country, deliver just to one country, etc.

I think it would be great if the merchant can choose whether he wants to display the payments or not. Would make everybody happy.

What I try to achieve, but unfortunately haven't reached yet, is to show the payment methods in an inactive state with a grey design so that they can see the methods before entering an address. Not everyone reads the payment or FAQ site and might afterwards find out the the shop does not offer the way they want or can pay.

@fuji3776 I am admittedly not a merchant, but I try my best to understand the struggles of merchants and try to shape thirty bees (with the others ) to make things easier for merchants. With that being said, what benefit is there in showing the payment methods before the user data has been entered? The way I always looked at is that nothing can  be done with them, so why show them. 

@lesley Don't get me wrong. I don't want to persuade TB to include such a function as I even don't know myself how useful it si, but if the work of changing the code to include a feature of showing available payment methods in advance would not be that much, I think some merchants would appreciate such a feature.
(I can change some small things in the code if I use try and error system, but have not really any clue of programming so I cannot even estimate how much work it is)

If you use a 5 step checkout there is no benefit or need for showing the payment methods before. If you work with the OPC it might be different.
As said before, I even don't know myself if it is worth thinking about and investing time into this feature, but I know from several years as merchant that some people enter their address but don't finish the order. Sure, their are many reason why the don't finish, including failures of payment gateways, reconsidering, etc.,, but I got also some mails in the past where customers asked if the cannot pay by using "whatever". It was often the case when I started the shop because I could only offer PayPal at that time. Since I also offer credit card payments the situation has changed for me., so I don't invest lots of time thinking about that feature, but still occasionally think about it.
Other merchants might be more interested as randomly someone comes up with this question.

An other reason for showing the payments before might be also the design of OPC. There is now "Step 3 Payment" and a red notice that you need to sign in first. It would just look nice if the payments are shown grey instead of the message.

@toplakd Thanks for the advise. I use that module already and it is a good feature so that customers are informed. For me, I don't need the feature of showing the payment methods in advance urgently because I show payment methods with your mentioned module on the site and also offer most used payments such as credit card and paypal, but I still occasionally think about it because of "personal" design reasons. (I'm sometimes very pernickety)

Edited by fuji3776
  • Like 2

We use knowband one page checkout. It shows all the relevant payment methods and carriers which automatically change. So for example as soon as the potential customer chooses "Japan" for the country then everything changes to be relevant to them. Switch the country to UK and add a postcode and everything changes again.

This is all done live and does not require any account creation first. 

If you want to have a look to see how it works go to our website at www.u-bolts-r-us.co.uk add something to cart and then on the cart page you can play with the address at the left hand side to see what changes.

To be honest I have not tried with different payment methods linked to countries, but works just fine for carriers

• Like 1

@haylau I know that OPC from knowband, but when you go with the standard things you will face less troubles than when using third party modules, esp. third party checkouts.
Another point is that these checkouts usually have a quite different style than the rest of the shop which, for me, often looks strange and therefore also need a lot of time to arrange.

Up to now, the only third party OPC I was interested in and thought buying was the very simple one from prestasite.ru (now presta.site), but when I came to the point to give it a chance the module was removed from their site. So I decided to arrange the original OPC to the point I'm more or less satisfied with and able to do (I'm not a programmer)