thirty bees forum

Admin Creating Orders and Customers

Mark

Question

Hi all,

I do all my selling online in social media, customers just go to the site to see details but dont usually buy from it, they cant be bothered form filling (typical consumers of today). They pay me outside the site- cash or bank transfer and doing so involves no form filling or time online, so they are happy. Its also cheapest and easiest for me to do this too, so its win win.

Consequently the site is mainly an admin tool for me to display for prospects and for me to process and view orders.

Used this way, when admin does all the order creation, there's many little things that aren't right when using the site in this fashion.

Ultimately, everything works ok (despite back end fails upon order submit), but there's a few things that make the process painful.

I can soldier on with the bugs and process problems if its only me using it this way, but if there's others having the same problems (now or in the future), could it be worth looking at? There's a fair bit of work involved in implementing all my suggestions so I realise it would only happen if many wanted it.

Im happy to get more technical about suggestions but some of the suggestions include:

1) a) New Order creation>>Adding new customer: I dont usually collect email addresses. I just create them an xxxyyy@<my domain name> address based on their first and last names. Because it's not a real email, a password isn't needed. However if the customer account is later updated to be real then it will need a password. I would propose that any new customer account created by admin has a system generated password sent when a real email is created. Telling the system what a fake domain name to use is would also tell it that everything else is a real email and will need a real password.

b) If there is an error creating the new customer, its about 5-10 seconds after submit before the error can be fixed. It should be instantly fixable.

c) If the submitted new customer data is OK, then a screen comes up displaying all customers. It then disappears after about 10 seconds. This seems unnecessary. Once the new customer data is OK, we could just go straight back to the Add New Order page.

2) Add New Order Form

a) Adding a new address. The form requires a new address be added for that customer.  I believe there could be two options here, Add New Address and Add Default Address. Every single time I add a new customer I have to add the same default address. I would rather just create a default address once then click that every time I do not want to add all customer address details.

b) Adding a new address: Adding addresses is  painful process for both admin and customer when signing up. To greatly speed things up I would propose adding a Google Address API box, where the user starts typing and the address options appear for the user and they click which is correct.

c) After the address is added, then like 1c) above, all the addresses appear. This screen hangs for about 10 seconds. Like 1c) this is a completely unnecessary part of the process that just consumes time and hassle.

After that, the order creating side mainly makes sense.

But then, right at the end, when I push "Create The Order", 90% of the time, there's a bug. The order data is correctly written and processed in the back end, but the entire screen disappears with what is presumably some php bug. Backpage, and all the data is there and correct but getting rid of that php bug would be very much better.

Thanks

Those are the main issues I have with Admin Creating a New Order/Customer. Hopefully Im not alone on this and others would also like some changes here too.

Edited by Mark

14 answers to this question

I know this processes. We add almost daily orders to the BO. I am surprised, that you prefer it that way by default. We try as much, to push our customers, to order themself. It saves us time and nerves 😉

8 hours ago, Mark said:

I just create them an xxxyyy@<my domain name> address based on their first and last names. Because it's not a real email, a password isn't needed.

We do it the same way: prename.surename@shop-domain.ch. It's true that it makes no sense to set a passwort there. But it's also not a big deal to put something in this field.

8 hours ago, Mark said:

If there is an error creating the new customer, its about 5-10 seconds after submit before the error can be fixed. It should be instantly fixable.

You write a lot about many seconds. I don't have such a big delay on my server. Probably your server is also slow. But true I also noticed that this process is not really quick. Not sure if there is any issue with the ajax post request, or if it just takes this time. A video of your process would help to understand, what you really mean.

8 hours ago, Mark said:

The form requires a new address be added for that customer.

Yeah that's a bit ugly. We have created an account like store-customers@shopdomain.com. We add all orders there, that don't need any address. The address is then our company address. We use this account mainly for people who buy directly at our house.

8 hours ago, Mark said:

Google Address API

Yeah I believe this is worth considering. Especially in the BO, but I have heard, that some shops use such APIs also on FO.

8 hours ago, Mark said:

But then, right at the end, when I push "Create The Order", 90% of the time, there's a bug. The order data is correctly written and processed in the back end, but the entire screen disappears with what is presumably some php bug. Backpage, and all the data is there and correct but getting rid of that php bug would be very much better.

No idea what you mean. A bug report needs to be concret. And it's better to report bugs seperat, not mixing it up in a post, that is about improving/enhancing features.

13 hours ago, wakabayashi said:

I know this processes. We add almost daily orders to the BO. I am surprised, that you prefer it that way by default. We try as much, to push our customers, to order themself. It saves us time and nerves 😉

We do it the same way: prename.surename@shop-domain.ch. It's true that it makes no sense to set a passwort there. But it's also not a big deal to put something in this field.

I agree its a lot of work for something not really necessary.

You write a lot about many seconds. I don't have such a big delay on my server. Probably your server is also slow. But true I also noticed that this process is not really quick. Not sure if there is any issue with the ajax post request, or if it just takes this time. A video of your process would help to understand, what you really mean.

The server isn't too bad, the real thing is that presenting the entire list of customers and addresses after we add a new one is totally unnecessary.

Yeah that's a bit ugly. We have created an account like store-customers@shopdomain.com. We add all orders there, that don't need any address. The address is then our company address. We use this account mainly for people who buy directly at our house.

Yes I thought about adding a general account to handle all non addressed people but it doesnt help me track individuals or sales properly this way. I'd rather they had a an account each, but with a default address. Its reather time consuming entering the same address over and over again.

Yeah I believe this is worth considering. Especially in the BO, but I have heard, that some shops use such APIs also on FO.

Front end is good too, anything to save the customer hassle and time signing up is good.

No idea what you mean. A bug report needs to be concret. And it's better to report bugs seperat, not mixing it up in a post, that is about improving/enhancing features.

Fair call, Ill put this on github at some point, I just thought that if someone was going to do these things, this fix could be done at the same time.

Why not create the customer in the front office, and then use @datakick‘s excellent and free Login as Customer module to create the orders?

Also, if you are getting long delays when creating customers and orders it might be related to your SMTP server and the confirmation emails being sent. Many SMTP servers intentionally have long delays for connections (called tarpitting) to make them unattractive spam delivery targets. Try disabling the emails or using a different server and seeing if the delay disappears. If it is SMTP delays then the only solution is to use a server that doesn’t have such a delay. We switched to Postmark for that reason, and for the improved delivery success rate.

Hi, tried the LogIn As A Customer although this adds more delay acting as a customer than as admin.

Also tried disabling email, this didnt affect speed.  Presenting a list of all customers (or all addresses) at the end of adding one new one, is an unnecessary step that uses time and system resources. ALl Im trying to do is clear the screen (All customers or all addresses) when it comes up so it goes away, but I have to wait while it hangs before I can clear it.

There's no need for the admin to see a list of all customers or all addresses after creating a new one. Instead the admin should just be able to get on with job of processing the order for that customer.

Why do I do this and not force the customer to register @wakabayashi? Well I dont like forcing them to register and spend their time completing forms. They told me their name and mailing address and theyve paid me, thats good enough for me.

NB: I actually do all the order processing outside thirtybees, (ie sending the stuff, making cash sales). All Im using TB for is to put the orders into a system for my own records, because its too cumbersome for customers to register and order. They tell me in one or two conversation messages on social media what they want, then the pay me, almost always outside TB. Thats all they need to do.

Edited by Mark

Which Cloudways VPS provider are you using, which VPS tier, and what is running on the VPS?

I used to be a Cloudways customer (before their horrible support drove me away) and didn’t have problems like this. I suspect that your VPS might be at its limit (not enough memory or not enough CPU grunt) or that the underlying hardware might be too far oversold.

16 minutes ago, Mark said:

NB: I actually do all the order processing outside thirtybees, (ie sending the stuff, making cash sales). All Im using TB for is to put the orders into a system for my own records, because its too cumbersome for customers to register and order. They tell me in one or two conversation messages on social media what they want, then the pay me, almost always outside TB. Thats all they need to do.

I wonder why you do such a thing, if customers don't buy on your eshop, you just need an accounting software isn't it ?

Using an ecommerce website to manage all this seems like it's looking for trouble and complications.. in fact you can even use excel only.

lol, there's nothing wrong with the server as I was saying earlier. I dont believe its a server issue. By taking out the mailing function (and doing so doesnt make any detectable difference), that seems to prove that. Everything else happens fast.

@zen everything I do i about making it fast and easy for the customer. I dont like forcing them to do anything except pay, all I need is name and mailing address and they can give that it in 3 seconds on social media and they can pay me by bank transfer in about 30 seconds.

TB does more than just process orders for customers. TB gives prospects a pretty good platform that they can see the product, catalog and details and know I have a shop for credibility and reference. And if they want to pay by credit card or paypal they can on the site, but most prefer just to pay by bank transfer.

To me, though TB is important for managing stock, seeing stats and recording sales for my records.

Oh OK,

Bank transfer is used all the time here (New Zealand). All you need is the banks app and just enter someone's account and the amount, and at no cost the other person is paid virtually instantly.

It costs nothing for either party to use.

I sell via TB just consumer goods to consumers

OK, good to know.

I remember your shop now, I said it was not in production because it looks like you don't want user to really order on it, it's seems "under work", not finished yet and not polished enough to give trust in that platform.

I understand why now, it's just the back office you need 🙂

Users can certainly buy online using Stripe or Paypal, but they don't. Thsite probably isn't as polished as it could be, but functionally everything is there. Stripe and Paypal cost money and increase risk of buyer clawing money back so I prefer them paying by bank transfer or cash anyway.

Im open to suggestions as to how to make it more polished

to "polish" it you'll need to dive into webdesign and UX, make a nice logo, take care of small details.. it takes a huge amount of time and dedication , endless job in fact !

Don't you use bank transfer in your website too as a first choice for your customers ?

Also, to speed all the process of registering, you can add a social media plugin for login, it will fill all the infos like mailing adress in one click for your customers.

One page checkout process is also a good option in your case to simplify ordering process.

Customers need to trust your shop, all theses details increase it or make them run... having a direct contact with the seller is a good way to bypass the website trustable quality, but it increase a lot your job as much as if it works good in a close future, you won't be able to take care of all these orders yourself.. then having a proper website is helping a LOT, and from there you can force almost everybody to order online only.

Best regards and good luck 🙂