thirty bees forum

Attributes

Havouza

Why?
I have an answer but it might be completely wrong for your needs and I don't want to stop other answers! 

If you want to count inventory for some goods, maybe physical goods, and not for others, maybe virtual goods, then it's possible to make a customization look like an attribute. You make it work with one button, and you alter the template code to allow a select menu in place of a text field. Search "customization with one button" to find it on the forum.

I hope I have not stopped better answers, just because I guessed what you wanted.
John

Its very simple really. Among other things we sell subscriptions to our tracking platform. The more months you buy the cheaper per month. Today that mean I have to have one product for every month, I have never uunderstood why there is no attributes for virtual products

Hi @Ian. All is well, the Swedish shop is doing well, has got a new. Skin. I have sold tracking services and simcards for IoT for a while and running well so now it is time to do a real webshop. Have used a small cartscript before but I thought I will have a go at TB. A little overkill its only about 50 products. But much more to be done before ready. Https://havouza.com

14 hours ago, Havouza said:

I have never uunderstood why there is no attributes for virtual products

From a coding perspective attributes make things more complex 🙂 That's the cheap answer.

In general I also don't like it. Not because of virtual products (we don't really use this), but in case of product packs. I seriously ended up to save all my packs as normal products and handle the stock by an own module.

But that is something I would like to be changed in the core. It should be possible to use attributes on virtual products and packs. But as you notice, I use a lot of "would like" and "should". If there is not a owner of tb or a new fork, it will never come...

• Like 1

I am glad someone else is saying this as as when I first came over to TB I was a little shocked that having attributes with costs was not in the source code.. After a lot of searching I did find what I was looking for. Is this something you might be after.

https://addons.prestashop.com/en/combinaisons-customization/30960-additional-product-attributes-custom-product-fields.html

I am using it at the moment and it does do what is required but is a real site killer and it slows down my page speeds a lot + the latest version doesn't work any-more and they want £78 to get it running correctly . So the sooner TB can do this the better for me.

Would be happy to crowd fund this if need be too

Hunch

• Pizza shops could turn off >preferences>products>enable stock management
    They could do stock control in other ways and get stock in emergencies: make it up as they go along.
    Their different products could have different prices. Maybe few enough combinations that it's OK to have them all spelt-out on the product page and only shown by the browser when relevant. But there was a Pizza person called kakkupaperi on a long Prestashop thread about this so facts vary.
  • Belt shops need stock managment for buckles but not for straps. They can use a hacked work-around to make customizations work from one button, and to add a select menu to a product template where it usually has a customization text area. I'd donate £30 towards a module because it's a bit risky to rely on a hacked work-around.
  • Engravers need stock management for silver cups, but not for engraving. Same with embroiderers.
    Engravers want different prices for different adaptations - one line, two lines, etc. So that's a whole different thing.
    I don't know if T shirt screen printers are the same WildToddMan is on the forum at the moment and might now. Anyway these are the people who need to sponsor a module but I'll add £30
Edited by veganline

http://archive.today/SS0TJ 
Additional product attributes / custom payment methods set-up from the back office with no module

https://addons.prestashop.com/demo/FO22950.html - iphone
https://addons.prestashop.com/demo/FO22950.html - T shirt
https://addons.prestashop.com/demo/FO22950.html - pizza

Edited by veganline
  • Like 1

🙂
-------------------------------- Missing products from the back office : warning and solution

Don't do what I did, which lost most of the products from the back office while keeping them at the front.
preferences>products|stock>enable stock management | disabled ..got them back till re-enabled.
catalog>products>search
search for something like product ID 1 . On the results page an orange button called "Reset" appears under the search button. I pressed it and the products came back for a bit; I don't know how permenantly.
The problem iprobably starts with some unusual stock setting below

--------------------------------- so don't follow these instructions on a real site, and use backups

catalog>products>new products>
information>
name> "add text"
>click  Virtual product (services, booking, downloadable products, etc.) 
prices> retail price (otherwise you could use the customization form for your existing product, but it wouldn't charge extra)
quantities> 0, when out of stock allow orders, minimum 0,
associations> accessories > type the first few letters of existing products like tin cups that you want to customize for extra money, and select if the software finds them.
customization> type "1" for text fields, define the label, set to compulsory if it's the first one
save etc

Then go to your existing product:
associations> accessories > type the first letters of this new paid customisation like "add text" and select when found

The bits I didn't think of before are that "virtual product" turns-off stock control, and that "accessories" can make two products show as a couple.

I don't know why my test install started loosing products in the back office soon after

Could be good to disable "quantity wanted" unless it somehow makes sense to order 2 products x 2 customizations:
#quantity_wanted_p {display: none !important;} does it for all products in the preferences>custom code>css box, but I tried editing a template, like the "product_wide.tpl" in /themes/niara/templates/product_wide.tpl", and then selecting it from catalog>products>add text>template manager Maybe this is where I slipped-up and broke something, but it seemed a good idea at the time.

Edited by veganline
added quantities 8.6.20 / missing products from the back office : warning and solution

It's working on another test site. Even if change the templates around, there's still a need to press about three buttons at once. An accessory called "text" appears below a product; you click on it and it swaps-over with the product you haven't bought yet. Then the default customization requires "save" as well as "buy". I guess this needs a Javascript expert, from this post

Ahh now that I have had another look I see the bottom 3 links are from the module I use lol ... I really have to get away from it , just had yet another order that has been screwed up with costs and customer being charged wrong amount

Can you have a different product for "engraved object £110" and "plain object £100" ? They might sit next to each other on product lists if sorted by name. Or else pay someone to combine "plain object £100" and another product called "engraving £10" to sit next to each other on a product page and have the £10 upselling offer somewhere useful? I don't know how tricky that is. Doing it with default options defeats me, partly because I don't know how the back office catalog works and why things can not show on it.

PS - just thought that "upselling" might have default options or good modules or something. I'm not sure what they are, but they might be more useful than linking products together as product kits or accessories (whatever those are). If there is a way to upsell the paid-customization product, there might be a module or obscure default options for that. Subcategories might be useful as well; "plain object £100" and "engraving £10" could be the only members of a subcategory so they show together.

PPS - free default TB Cross-selling module is the one I was thinking of, but there may be others.

--------------------------added after a couple of posts below

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/522296-adding-a-fixed-price-for-customization/](https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/522296-adding-a-fixed-price-for-customization/ has an idea: default allows a charge and message for gift wrapping on the cart; some kind of code change could extend that

https://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/273619-free-module-blockcartaccessories-display-product-accessories-on-the-cart/ - a free module no longer maintained by ckarone, called "block cart accessories", which is something to do with putting accessories (like a product that's just paid customization) in the cart without extra buttons I hope.

This one has been updated by the look of it, to a paid but cheap one by Green Mouse Studio. I think it's £25. There's a module for up-selling insurance which is free to download and might have some relevant code in it. It doesn't work for free; you have to get a key from an insurance broker, but for hacking and copying it might be free.

The bit I'd pay for is just a reliable way to get customisation without pressing "save", so I can add belt lengths to my belts. Apparently this is just a javascript job. A lot of merchants want to go further and upsell / charge for customization which might include the code that I want.

Edited by veganline
PS / I think of things so slowly that it would take most of the thread to put them in one post at a time

• 2 weeks later...

Well I may have found an alternative

https://addons.prestashop.com/en/combinaisons-customization/17415-customization-prices.html#seller

Seems to work off the customizations .

Anyway have emailed developer for a answer