thirty bees forum

thirty bees now on Cloudways

• 8 months later...

@lesley @mdekker My Siteground account is expiring in late December. Renewal for 12 months is $162.00 plus $19.80 for SG Site Scanner Malware Monitoring.

This question is because I do not know all that I need for TB:

Does cloudways $17.00 per month have all the features I have with the Siteground "Grow Big" (shared hosting) for $16.00 a month?

Cloudways pricing by the month: https://www.cloudways.com/en/pricing.php#monthlyKyp

Siteground pricing for new customers: (mine is just a bit more) https://ua.siteground.com/hostingcompareplans.htm

CLOUDWAYS $17.00 / PER MONTH:

0_1510236420501_cloudways small biz plan most popular is 17 a month.jpg

SITEGROUND - 3 page of screenshots with all the features for the Grow Big (their medium plan)

0_1510236492394_Siteground pricing for grow big plan - page 1.jpg

0_1510236522268_Siteground pricing for grow big plan - page 2.jpg

0_1510236535055_Siteground pricing for grow big plan - page 3.jpg

@vzex Any thoughts since yours is expiring nearly at the same time?

@alwayspaws I would recommend staying with siteground or going with a2. Cloudways is kind of easy to use, but it is set for a technical level of use. Also, you have to factor in that cloudways does not have email servers, so you will have to pay for that as well.

Hi @alwayspaws

Ahsan here from Cloudways.

We have 3 days of trial on all our plans and our pricing starts at $7/m and we also have Vultr servers that start at $11/month 1GB of Ram and Linode at $12/month 1GB Ram.

All the servers are dedicated cloud servers with dedicated IP address. You will be actually saving a few $$$ while hosting with us. And once your store grows you can scale up your servers.

You will get most of the features that Siteground offers except Emails and CDN are subscription based on Cloudways.

But you will have a lot more features than Siteground offers, like unlimited domains on single server, free SSL certificates, automatic backups. Etc.

ThirtyBees on a single click let's you start your store in minutes.

@traumflug I meant to say that one can scale servers as per their need. Starting from lower plan and going to higher plan when needed and then moving back to lower plan. Scaling is easy and a lot of ecommerce store owners move to higher plans once they have a promotions going on their stores.

I am not marketing over here, neither it is needed.

Sorry for the noise above. After my marketing allergy calmed down, let me try to do elaborate this a bit more seriously.

• Web space required is about 1 GB plus all the pictures. Which means, the usual 10 GB or 20 GB offerings are plenty for small shops.
  • Pages loading fast is certainly a bonus. And then look at Amazon, arbitrary product page:

0_1510311020629_Bildschirmfoto von »2017-11-10 11-44-42«.png - ~4 seconds for the first visible content, 25 seconds until the page calms down. My personal conclusion with Amazon's success in mind: customers prefer good offerings, nice pictures, good descriptions over a few milliseconds of faster loading. - One thing peeking out in the above picture: it reads "unmetered web traffic", but it also reads "10'000 visits/month". Counting visits is obviously metering, and 10'000/month is just 333/day. I take it's page visits, not shop visits, so every page loaded counts. Think of search engines crawling the shop, think of customers looking at all your goodies over and over again, being undecided. - The picture also reads "unlimited emails". Lesley says they have no email at all. Email is crucial, customers can't order without it. - Changing plans is nothing special, I think pretty much all hosters offer this. - Server market is with high competition. Nobody can donate something, but also nobody can ask for unjustified high prices. Good for merchants, chances to waste substantial amounts of money are low. - Moving from one hoster to another is fairly easy in case it doesn't work out as expected.

Because all this is a bit overwhelming I tend to simplify such choices: look at the key features (web space, DB, email), then at how long it takes to cancel the contract and if that's short enough, simply go ahead. Working on good product presentation is much more important than saving a dollar or two on server hosting.

@lesley said in thirty bees now on Cloudways:

@alwayspaws I would recommend staying with siteground or going with a2. Cloudways is kind of easy to use, but it is set for a technical level of use. Also, you have to factor in that cloudways does not have email servers, so you will have to pay for that as well."

@Traumflug said (among other things which are very compelling and helpful!)

Because all this is a bit overwhelming I tend to simplify such choices: look at the key features (web space, DB, email), then at how long it takes to cancel the contract and if that’s short enough, simply go ahead. Working on good product presentation is much more important than saving a dollar or two on server hosting.

I'm going to stay with Siteground. I do not like the idea of a host not having email and there is no sense in spending extra for it when I have it at SG. I'm chatting with SG and think my best option at this point is to downgrade to the startup plan.

I need to evaluate a bit more and its a good thing I have a month or so to do so.

Thank you for everyone who contributed to this discussion.

@alwayspaws

@vzex Any thoughts since yours is expiring nearly at the same time?

I'm with hostgator currently since before they were bought out.

Downtime has been 99-100% for about 10 years. Haven't had any issues since TB store has been live. At least none that I am aware of. Only the permissions glitches upon install and a few others that were worked out on this forum before going live.

Think I've waited too long to shop around. HG has cheaper pricing for new accounts. Last year I called asking what they can do for current customers and received an unexpected discount.

They are cheap for shared hosting Is cheap what you get? Perhaps but my store isn't Amazon and fits my size, shared SSL and email. https://www.hostgator.com/shared-compare

They also offer codeguard which is probably why I'll stay even though I would like a fresh clean host with nothing left over from years gone by! https://www.hostgator.com/codeguard

I don't believe elastic search can be installed.

I'll probably renew with the added codeguard since I waited too long to shop around and don't feel like moving my site to a new host.

• 3 weeks later...

@tomik said in thirty bees now on Cloudways:

well 100% is not really possible just to cover their own asses

100% uptime SLAs do exist, even in the consumer sphere. Of course in order to be able to make a claim you have to know what your host's SLA is and you have to be monitoring your server closely enough to know when it goes down.

Here's VULTR's SLA, for example. Amazon aims for 99.99%. Digital Ocean is also 99.99%.

SLAs tend to be monthly so 99.99% means up to ~4.3 mins per month of downtime. 99.9% would be up to 43.2mins per month. 99% means up to 7.2 hours per month.

I wouldn't be happy with a host that was admitting they could be down up 7 hours every month.

SLA's like that are hard to enforce as well. There are times that you cannot reach a site that everything is fine up to and leaving the data center, it could just be a network peering issue where your isp peers with another network. I see that issue a lot with clients calling in because their site is down.

@lesley said in thirty bees now on Cloudways:

SLA's like that are hard to enforce as well. There are times that you cannot reach a site that everything is fine up to and leaving the data center, it could just be a network peering issue where your isp peers with another network. I see that issue a lot with clients calling in because their site is down.

There are various free services that can be used to monitor uptime. I'm not sure which is the best but UptimeRobot has a generous free plan. Their paid plans are also very reasonably priced, and they give per minute checks instead of every 5 minutes.