thirty bees forum

Creating an external import site

Mark

Has anyone tried creating an external import site, where others can enter information and pictures thats uploaded via xml to the website?

Something like Google Sheets/ Forms. (via a 3rd party as Sheets doesn't natively support XML export)

Any tips/experiences?

I'm considering doing this using the Datakick module.

Edited by Mark

I do have personnal scripts that use CSV files to synchronise / import images, customers and products, it's external of TB website but use same config and settings files.... what do you need to know about such a system ? I use no module as it is a full different system with many other scripts for stats, etc... all are triggered by cron task regulary.

Hmmm sounds like quite an undertaking!

I'm looking for something that will process by the same rules as the website but go past admin first for approval before being actually processed.

There's probably a module somewhere that I could use, but external to the site is what I'm after.

I guess I was looking to see who's tried this and knew what traps to be careful of.

I'm hopeful that processing this via @datakickmmodule, XML, will be the way to go but Google sheets doesn't do XML natively so I was fishing about to see if there was some clever plan someone had, otherwise I'll probably use a 3rd party XML plug in. To get it to datakick module.

Your code sounds proprietary so it's just tips I'd be after.

1 minute ago, Mark said:

I'm looking for something that will process by the same rules as the website but go past admin first for approval before being actually processed.

What do you mean by that ? you want to start import from BO only ? After being logged in, is that it ?

There's probably a module somewhere that I could use, but external to the site is what I'm after.

I am lost.. what do you want to do then ?

6 hours ago, haylau said:

Can you give a use scenario to help explain? So are you talking about random people entering full orders? or uploadng products to sell, or adding customer names and address?

@zenno I'm thinking about them adding the data in say a Google Form, then us performing checks that aren't related to normal website processes on it while it's on Google, then if we agree, pushing a button to upload the data/images via XML to the site.

I'm thinking of multiple scenarios that involve data input but primarily where other businesses can add their products.

On 1/4/2022 at 2:47 PM, Mark said:

I'm thinking of multiple scenarios that involve data input but primarily where other businesses can add their products.

Letting outsiders have access to your site is a danger few would risk.

Imagine they get hacked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nickz said:

Letting outsiders have access to your site is a danger few would risk.

Imagine they get hacked.

Yes for sure. It won't be public access, it'll be authenticated for invited users. And no data will go directly to the website, it'll go through several layers of automated checks and real person checks before being approved to go to the website itself

• 1 year later...