thirty bees forum

adamh

Question

Hi All, 

Love this section of TB where you can pre-define a list of features that you can select for a product - SUCH a shame that on the front end it's listed under 'Data Sheet' ..... 

Anyway of changing this, maybe to.....Product Features ? 

2022-06-03 17_31_43-Window.png

14 answers to this question

Can someone explain this to me ? I have TB 1.4 and now this whole page of features looks like big piece of shit. I use CSV file to import products. And there are many products with same value. But in feature drop down list these values are all listed as different values. So there is list with 50+ values that are exactly the same. And actually different values are only 2. Why is this ? Or what I'm doing wrong ? There wasn't such problem with previous versions. Or is there any "manual" or something about this ?

45 minutes ago, led24ee said:

Can someone explain this to me ? I have TB 1.4 and now this whole page of features looks like big piece of shit. I use CSV file to import products. And there are many products with same value. But in feature drop down list these values are all listed as different values. So there is list with 50+ values that are exactly the same. And actually different values are only 2. Why is this ? Or what I'm doing wrong ? There wasn't such problem with previous versions. Or is there any "manual" or something about this ?

Your question is not very clear. 

"now this whole page of features looks like big piece of shit" -- what page of features? This post was originally about front office "Data Sheet" section, and it's translation. Are you referring to this section?  

Basically, we have removed the 'Custom' feature values functionality. 

Custom feature values allowed you to create ad-hoc feature value from your product back office page. However, this feature value existed for that particular product only, and could not be shared. And it was actually hidden from everywhere. 

Example: You could create feature value '10mm' for product A, and then create the same custom value '10mm' for product B. In database, this would be recorded as two distinct feature values.

Custom feature values were causing a lot of problems and troubles. It made it very hard to use faceted search, because the same value existed multiple times. It made it impossible to search for products that shared the same feature value (because they were not actually sharing the same feature value, they only shared 'feature value' value). You didn't see custom values in list of feature values.

This all lead to a very poor data quality. Or, as you quite nicely called it, a big piece of shit. This issue was always there, it just was very carefully hidden so it doesn't offend anyone. But hiding it doesn't fix or hide the other issues it causes, so we decided to stop playing this hide and see game, and just show you what you have in database. 

And this will stay so ?

And this example is BS. Every value has its own ID. In previous version these were taken by ID. So when there already is value then this same value will be used next time, instead of creating new value. And yes, I just look in previous database and in current database. So whatever You are invented this is taking affect in current (TB1.4) version.

Beside, there is still language problems. A year ago Smile says that he knows about this. And now what a surprise, this is still present. I can't understand why I donate this project. But at least I can solve this donation problem. Also I have offered translation package many times. Zero interest. So keep wondering why there isn't more people in this project.

2 minutes ago, led24ee said:

And this will stay so ?

And this example is BS. Every value has its own ID. In previous version these were taken by ID. So when there already is value then this same value will be used next time, instead of creating new value. And yes, I just look in previous database and in current database. So whatever You are invented this is taking affect in current (TB1.4) version.

You probably didn't understood what I talked about.

Previously, only predefined feature values could be reused by products. Custom values could have been created individually per product, but could not be shared.

So, you could create predefined value '10mm' and use it by product A and B. You could also create the same custom feature values, with the same value, for product. This custom feature value had different ID, yet the same value.

Now, take faceted search on front office for example. Search by feature values would first retrieve all distinct feature values IDs, and display their texts. There would be 2 feature values with the same text displayed, because there exists two different feature values with two different IDs but with the same value. You would be very surprised why the front office is showing two same feature values, especially since the back office shows only one (the predefined one). You would be complaining about the faceted search functionality, that it is broken, or whatnot. But the reality is that it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. It's just you have shit data quality. By showing you in the back office the same information, we are actually removing this surprise. Showing you the root cause of the problem -- data.

In 1.4.0, we did not generate your data out of thin air. We just showed it to you. If the duplicates causes problem in back office, imagine how much trouble it causes elsewhere.

I suggest you to clean up your data. Merge duplicates. Clean up the shit. That will solve all the issues. This new one (back office mess), and the existing ones (the mess in front office, exports, api, etc)

You can opt to ignore the mess in your database, of course. But we don't want to ignore mess in our databases, though. Hence this "enhancement". 

Beside, there is still language problems. A year ago Smile says that he knows about this. And now what a surprise, this is still present.

What language problems?

I can't understand why I donate this project. But at least I can solve this donation problem. 

You understand that we spent hundreds of hours maintaining the system you are using to power your business, don't you? You know, all those pesky deprecation warnings and notices that we fixed will not be warnings in the future php versions. They would be hard errors.

Yeah, we fixed those. In my book, that is what you get for donating to the project. You are welcome. 

@led24ee We have looked into this issue i can assure you.

Beside, there is still language problems. A year ago Smile says that he knows about this. And now what a surprise, this is still present. I can't understand why I donate this project. But at least I can solve this donation problem. Also I have offered translation package many times. Zero interest. So keep wondering why there isn't more people in this project.

But it is not easy to solve, as it potentially will cause a lot off issues for other users. We could plan a meeting and discuss this issue once again but it probably takes a quite some effort to fix it. And prevent data issues with you and other users.

17 minutes ago, led24ee said:

When some thing are working why there is constant need to "improve" this ? I'm trying to find another platform. Thank You.

Illusion of working is not working. You can ignore the problems, but that does not make them go away. 

Maybe you don't use facetted search. Maybe you don't use webservice. Maybe you don't generate reports summarised by feature values. Maybe you don't have to solve mapping issues when sending data to third party parters like Channable. Maybe you don't search for products by feature value...

Maybe these issues are not relevant to you specifically. Then you are lucky, and you can really decide to ignore them. But for a lot of merchants these are real problems that needs to be addressed. Not by hiding them.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I have idea. This is not easy (maybe real PITA) with 10 000+ products (description, pictures, features, etc) Almost 7 years of presta/thirty is more or less pointless. I have no idea how many modules/features/some other thing  I need to pay again. And yes with new platform there are new questions and probably I discover that there are also lot of mistakes on new platform.

About this language problem. According to Smile there is simple typo and f this is so then it will take about 1 minut to resolve and maybe 15 minutes to check,  but looks like even this is too much. But Thank You anyway, maybe I find out that there is no other good place and I will return. So I hope no hard feelings.

15 minutes ago, led24ee said:

Unfortunately I have idea. This is not easy (maybe real PITA) with 10 000+ products (description, pictures, features, etc) Almost 7 years of presta/thirty is more or less pointless. I have no idea how many modules/features/some other thing  I need to pay again. And yes with new platform there are new questions and probably I discover that there are also lot of mistakes on new platform.

And again you don't give the import file that makes the shit... My guess is like datakick: the shit was already long there, you just didn't know it.

49 minutes ago, led24ee said:

About this language problem. According to Smile there is simple typo and f this is so then it will take about 1 minut to resolve and maybe 15 minutes to check,  but looks like even this is too much. But Thank You anyway, maybe I find out that there is no other good place and I will return. So I hope no hard feelings.

Yes, it indeed looked like a small issue, that's why Smile provided you with optimistic estimate. Further evaluation proved otherwise, though.

The fix would be very simple, few lines of code. But it has the potential to create a huge clusterfuck of other problems, so we decided against it.

The problem is that thirty bees sometimes uses country code in context when language code should be used. In most cases it does not matter, as country and language iso code are usually identical. However, for Estonia, this is not the case. Country iso code is ee, while language code is et. If we fixed the problem in the core and used lang iso code properly, it would fix some translation issues. However, it would also have unwanted side effects. For example, et would be used in url instead of ee, so all urls (for multilang sites) would change from

www.site.com/ee/category/product.html 

to

www.site.com/et/category/product.html

I bet that somebody would complain about that, as it would mean lost of all incoming links.

At the moment we are aware and track this problem, but we are unsure how to safely fix it.