thirty bees forum

I'm going to create a free module

datakick

thanks @30knees for the suggestions

• The store's reply to a review could be prefaced with something like "store name:", to make it even clearer that the store replied.

good idea. Maybe even use shop logo as an avatar

• When I unclick allow anonymous reviews and submit a review as a guest without being logged in, I get the message "Failed to create a review" but I'm not told why. A message> "Please log in to review" would be nice.

this is actually a bug - when user is logged out he shouldn't start the review process at all. I'll add some message asking user to log-in immediately

• "Be the first to write review!" is only at the top, but not at the review tab itself. I think having a link there would also be good.

It's actually at review tab as well, but only if the user is logged in (have permissions to create review). This is related to previous point. I'll always show this button, even if user doesn't have permissions, and in that case ask them to log in.

• On products with attributes/combinations it would be nice if the module asked which attribute/combination the review should apply to and that it would show which attribute/combination the review belongs to.

this would be quite a big enhancement. I'll maybe implement this down the road, if there's demand for it. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort, though.

• Reviews of a customer could show up on their account page...and maybe even better, an overview of all products bought and not reviewed?

this is already on my backlog. It's related to sending review request, and the landing page that will ask users to review recently bought products.

Thank you for testing this!

Very Niche feature request.

Semi anonymized reviews. So assign a customer a random public name different from username or real name. E.g. pick random words from three lists. e.g. Mauve Hungry Hippo to assign to user to attach to reviews so that customer can freely give reviews without exposing their real names or accounts.

@troy-roberts :) That's indeed very niche, and unfortunately too much effort. Also I don't think it's really necessary: - users can easily change the name displayed on review - merchant can also choose default Display name format - for example you can choose initials, or the first name. When customer write review his name will be masked using this format. For example P.H. or Petr H. He can still change it

@troy-roberts on second thought, it would be very easy to add a new custom format option - this one would simply call some user defined javascript function. So you could create your own function that would return any name you wish, even Mauve Hungry Hippo, and revws module would just call this function. This is quite easy, effort is next to nothing. If you wish, I'll add it to the module.

Here's a new version that adds email notifications to both admin and customer. Again, there's a db schema change, so you will need to reset module completely if you already installed it.

Note that email templates are mostly empty, but that should be enough for testing. Definitely not for production deployment, though :)

I'll fill in template content later. If anyone feels like preparing them, I'd be grateful, as this isn't really my cup of tea...

At the moment there are these email templates: - revws-admin-needs-approval - send to admin when review needs to be approved - revws-admin-review-created - send to admin when new review is created - revws-admin-review-deleted - send to admin when review is deleted (by review author) - revws-admin-review-updated - send to admin when review is updated (by review author) - revws-author-review-approved - send to review author when review is approved - revws-author-review-deleted - send to review author when review is rejected / deleted - revws-author-review-replied - send to review author when employee adds reply to review - revws-author-thank-you - send to author as a thank you for creating review

Following variables are passed to all email templates (besides standard variables like shop_name or logo)

{product_id} {product_name} {product_image} {product_url} {review_id} {author_type} {author_email} {author_name} {display_name} {title} {content} {ratings} {average} {reply} {validated} {deleted}

@datakick That's great. I know my request was super niche. Have a few customers that have shall we say more adult oriented enterprises and they want to encourage user reviews, but obviously (most) people are reluctant to attach their real names or even initials to a review.

The custom javascript option sounds like the ticket. Thanks much

@troy-roberts well, that's really up to you. It's your custom implementation.

The function will receive two parameters - customer first and last name, and it must return some string. The function above is not deterministic, it returns different string each time it's called.

But you can easily modify it to use customer name to generate return in deterministic way. For example, instead of Math.random() you can calculate hashCode of customer's name and use it to find index in list.

Note that for guest (not logged users), the fistname / lastname parameters will be empty.

@datakick said in I'm going to create a free module:

I'll fill in template content later. If anyone feels like preparing them, I'd be grateful, as this isn't really my cup of tea...

At the moment there are these email templates: - revws-admin-needs-approval - send to admin when review needs to be approved - revws-admin-review-created - send to admin when new review is created - revws-admin-review-deleted - send to admin when review is deleted (by review author) - revws-admin-review-updated - send to admin when review is updated (by review author) - revws-author-review-approved - send to review author when review is approved - revws-author-review-deleted - send to review author when review is rejected / deleted - revws-author-review-replied - send to review author when employee adds reply to review - revws-author-thank-you - send to author as a thank you for creating review

Following variables are passed to all email templates (besides standard variables like shop_name or logo)

{product_id} {product_name} {product_image} {product_url} {review_id} {author_type} {author_email} {author_name} {display_name} {title} {content} {ratings} {average} {reply} {validated} {deleted}

I'd be happy to help out here by writing the text and adding the variables. I don't know enough about the formatting code to do that, though.

Shall I take save each email template I write as a txt?

@30knees said in I'm going to create a free module:

I’d be happy to help out here by writing the text and adding the variables. I don’t know enough about the formatting code to do that, though. Shall I take save each email template I write as a txt?

sure, that would be great. There's html and txt templates in mail directory, so you can fill in txt versions. You can test it by switching your tb to send email in text format only.

I've added another functionality. There's new section in customer account displaying all customers reviews, and also ask for review on recently purchased products. This will be the landing page for email review request (next task in my backlog).

There's also an option for admin to quickly approve / reject directly from email.

revws.zip

0_1516800013665_customer-account.jpg

@wakabayashi yes, it works just fine.

You can test it on my demo site:

Most common reason why email is not send is missing language template. Please check your Advanced parameters > logs to see if there's any error entry related to missing email templates (logging does not work if you have debug mode enabled, though)

Also, since there are only english email templates, choose english as you preferred language for admin notification in revws settings:

0_1516857918793_admin-email.jpg

@wakabayashi it's probably somewhere in your spam folder.

My logs shows that the emails were sent away, so the issue must be somewhere in the email infrastructure. My server uses sendmail without signature, so emails will very likely be marked as spam.

0_1516876752782_email.png

Edit: I've just created review, used my gmail account address, and indeed the 'thank you' email was delivered to spam folder

I'm halfway through the ask for review by email functionality and it just doesn't seem right. This feature doest't really have much in common with the rest of the module. So I decided to drop this from the module :)

Well, don't worry, it's going to be implemented. But as a separate module instead.

From my perspective this is very similar to rewards / loyalty points we have discussed before. I think there should be a dedicated email automation module to handle tasks like

• remind customer about abandoned carts
  • thank for placed orders
  • remind customers about pending / unpaid order
  • send happy birthday
  • send review requests
  • and any other flow or automation possible

So I'll prepare this module as well, and add integration with review module. At the start this new module will be able to send only review requests, but I'm sure I'll find a way to implement other functionality as well.

@datakick you are right. the gmail emails were in the spam folder. The others maybe blocked completly.

It's a very interesting idea with the email automation. I am not sure, what already exists. I can find "mailchimp", "mail alerts" and "mail hook" module. Mail chimp is clear, but not sure, what the other two are doing.

Hi, I just visited the demo site. On home page the new arrivals, there are two items with reviews. One of them has 1 review and when you enter the product page there are more than 1 review. The other product doesn't show any reviews but when you enter it there are 4 of them. Is it normal behavior?