thirty bees forum

How to associate multiple categories to products via csv?

alwayspaws

I want a tee shirt to be in Home, Dog Tee Shirts, We Love Dogs

Using a csv, what format do I use in the category field to associate a product to more than one category?

I tried:

Home, Dog Tee Shirts, We Love Dogs

Home,Dog Tee Shirts,We Love Dogs

They do not get associated with those three categories when I upload one test combination product csv.

The screenshot shows where the associations are if I do it manually, but I need to use a spreadsheet.

0_1495037574653_associate mult categs to one product.jpg

@alwayspaws I don't think you need to have the item in Home for it to show up in your Home category. I just list the end category and the items show up on every category page above it.

I use ~ as my separator so in my file your categoryfield information would be: Dog Tee Shirts~We Love Dogs

@jnsgioia I don't even know why the Home page is there. I'm going to try your method but I need more than one sub-subcategory associated with the subcategory, so would I do this, for example?

My First main category is Dog Clothing. Subcategory is Dog Tee Shirts. Under the Dog Tee Shirts I need two and sometimes more sub-subcategories so We Love Dogs is one and Patriotic is another. In other instances I need to associate products like these with Dog Birthdays, etc.

Dog Clothing~Dog Tee Shirts~We Love Dogs~Patriotic

If your fields are separated by commas you need to use something other than a comma to separate the categories and then select that in "Multiple value separator" when you do the import. So use a semi colon for example:

Dog Tee Shirts;We Love Dogs

@spidawebs said in How to associate multiple categories to products via csv?:

If your fields are separated by commas you need to use something other than a comma to separate the categories and then select that in "Multiple value separator" when you do the import. So use a semi colon for example:

Dog Tee Shirts;We Love Dogs

This works! Thanks! It's in all three categories now.

I did it like this:

Dog Clothes;Dog Tee Shirts;We Love Dogs

products and combos import:

field sep is comma mult value sep is semicolon

OK, so my root category is correct. I changed the blockcategories to current, although I don't see any difference.

I don't want to get rid of home because I need it but on my test site, it shows "home" and it doesn't need to be there.

HOME DOG CLOTHES COLLARS AND LEASHES HARNESSES

These particular treats are birthday cakes for dogs which go in Dog Treats but I also want them in Dogs Birthdays and We Love Dogs. Do I have to point these last two to the main category they are in - which is Dog Clothes / Dog Tee Shirts?