thirty bees forum

Control where Sub-categories are displayed

dynambee

Using 1.1.0 and the new Niara theme.

I'm sure this must be a setting that I just can't find but I'm trying to stop the display of subcategories under the display of products. I don't have (and don't have time to get..) images for every category & subcategory right now. Therefore I only want categories and sub-categories to be displayed as a text menu down the left side of the page. I want to get rid of the large number of subcategories listed as huge boxes with "No image available" images as they look terrible...

Thank you for the reply. That's actually something else I was trying to figure out as I have too many subcategories for them to be displayed up there at the top. Fixing that was helpful.

Unfortunately it doesn't fix the issue I was trying to describe. I think a screenshot is probably worth a whole lot of words so this is what I want gone:

image.thumb.png.46783ab68e1d5fef4a70e9d75aa7c885.png

I want to keep all the sub-categories down the left side in that menu list and not have the sub-categories displayed with "No image available" thumbnails in the main area. (Currently there are no products on the site which is why all that is shown is sub-categories.)

@dynambee this was my solution to the same problem ... if i understand it right :)

subcategory-select-instead-of-photos.thumb.jpg.d52ee0027a873d33bccc572f1905070e.jpg

but i did on TB 1.08 with a modified copy of community theme default , i don't know for niara theme and TB 1.1 ... if you like my solution i can upload a copy of the modified category.tpl to make a compare vith the same on niara and maybe do yourself the needed change (its very simple change)

Edited by ariom

2 hours ago, dynambee said:

Actually, since you looked into the code for it do you happen to know the database storage location for this setting?

its in "tb_configuration" table, it's called "PS_SET_DISPLAY_SUBCATEGORIES"

• Thanks 1

Just now, yaniv14 said:

its in "tb_configuration" table, it's called "PS_SET_DISPLAY_SUBCATEGORIES"

Funnily enough, I was just about to write a reply with the same info. I make quite a few settings directly to that table instead of digging around trying to find things in the back office. 🙂

tb_configuration table is used for general purpose.

many core settings and modules use that table when they need to save single value without the need to create new tables.

Configuration::updateValue('value_name', 'value_data'); is used to store data in that table.

Configuration::get('value_name') is used to fetch data from that table.

Yup, I use PrestaSharp together with c# and vb.net to use the TB API. It works well.

For some things not supported by the API (modules that use custom tables, for example) I read & write directly to the tables through an SSH tunnel. I also do bulk price & stock updates by sending a file over SFTP and then importing via the MySQL command line.

Happily so far everything that was working with 1.0.8 is also working with 1.1.0.

Edit: I use Chilkat's DLLs to create the SSH tunnels & SFTP connections within C# or vb.net. Keeps everything automatic without requiring external programs.

Edited by dynambee

29 minutes ago, AndyC said:

@dynambee Can I ask are you using the old default theme with side category list or is it a module... I only ask as I have been searching for a solution for my panda to look like that for ages

It's a fresh install of TB v1.1.0 with the new standard Niara theme that comes with 1.1.0. I haven't modified the theme at all, that's how it looks out of the box.