thirty bees forum

E-mail field TLD validation not working after update to 1.1.0

DorkV89

Question

After I updated from 1.0.8 to 1.1.0 the e-mail address validation when making an account or placing an order is not working anymore.

So the customer can fill in ''e-mail@url''  as an e-mail address. And this is accepted without the TLD. Filling in an address without the ''@'' isn't accepted.

This never happened before and is on all the shops I have updated to 1.1.0

10 answers to this question

Before the update the customer was not able to make an account with for example:

e-mail@email
or
mail@email.

It was blocked (like when the @ is missing) because the TLD is missing. At this moment (after the update) the customer can make an account or fill in e-mail address without the TLD.

The address in the attachment is accepted and should not.

image.png.d5eb29de476ec1119536112c277318d8.png

Where on the old environment it is not accepted and blocked by an error:
image.png.fabaf6f21b7895c8b85ea019e8e0b345.png

image.png.5dd619ec734e81d50b3afce4f798364f.png

OHHH !  Holy moly !  DorkV89 is right,  it is possible also at tb 1.0.7 and  1.0.8

( i have tried with several email addresses  like  myname@dropdown  and no '.' (dot) or TLD at the end,  and i can sign up with such an no-workin email-address ) !! 

Please tb team, have a look at this ! 😟 

Edited by DRMasterChief

1 hour ago, DRMasterChief said:

OHHH !  Holy moly !  DorkV89 is right,  it is possible also at tb 1.0.7 and  1.0.8

( i have tried with several email addresses  like  myname@dropdown  and no '.' (dot) or TLD at the end,  and i can sign up with such an no-workin email-address ) !! 

Yes, that is what I mean. I didn't know how to explain it better. 

2 hours ago, DRMasterChief said:

thanks - now I understand the problem

I've opened an issue on github about this here. I don't think it will be a difficult issue to fix.

However even after this is fixed it will always be possible to create an account with a fake email address unless you force email validation before allowing a new account to make purchases. Even with validation people can use free temporary email addresses to sign up for websites. Beyond that many people use a free email account for all their online purchases and then rarely if ever actually check that account.

There isn't really anything realistic that we as merchants can do to make sure we have a long term ability to communicate with customers.

I absolutely agree to this:  https://github.com/thirtybees/thirtybees/issues/1086#issuecomment-547341365 

Dotless domains are useless in such surroundings like an onlineshop  😉 

We can not control or do anything if an customer does not check his mails, but we should be correct to raise a technical correct email address, just to make sure the customer did not forget to type it correct  (and they will forget a lot when typing their address or similar......)