thirty bees forum

Force customer to chose attribute

MockoB

Is it possible to force the customer to chose attributes when he hits add to cart button? I just saw such topic in ps forum but without any working solution. I need module or explanation how I could achieve that: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Case-for-iPad-Air-2-ESR-PU-Leather-Smart-Cover-Folio-Case-Stand-with-Auto-Sleep/32646797382.html?spm=a2g01.8286187.3.1.G27r4n&scm=1007.14594.82634.0&pvid=64f94199-2d8c-4c35-8fac-0bef115b7e5a It is just random product from AE and it is not possible to add product to cart without choosing color and where it ships from. It is a must for every store which sales products with attributes! Everyone who sells products with attributes most probably have had returns because mistaken size or color ...

Wow, PS (and by extension 30bz I guess) doesn't force the user to make choices when there are variations to choose from? What happens when a customer doesn't make a choice? I can see this as being a pretty big problem for any store with a lot of variations.

Basically the add to cart will add the default combination to card. You can setup in BO to hide the add to cart button when product has attributes, which mean that the only button will be 'view' that takes the user to the product page.

@dynambee said in Force customer to chose attribute:

What happens when a customer doesn't make a choice? We learned to predict customer's behavior! And ask everyone on the phone who we suspect that made mistake, if he saw the drop down attributes ... And hiding add to cart button is not solution because customers don't even bother to read that there are attributes and just add the default combination. And very often we receive complains that products with combinations and attribute don't have stock according customers, because there isn't add to cart button.

PS. How the fck I quoted myself :)

Trick #412:

Add (please choose) as the first attribute and set available quantity with this attribute to zero. This way a customer can't order the default combination by accident.

Adding such a first choice is obviously a worthwhile feature request: https://thirtybees.com/feature-request/

Yes please add it to feature request. It should be in. Was proposed 234234 times at ps.

We use it too. We do it similair as traumflug has proposed. We add a fake status and make it default. Then little js disables "add to cart button" if default status is selected.

@Traumflug said in Force customer to chose attribute:

Trick #412:

Add (please choose) as the first attribute and set available quantity with this attribute to zero. This way a customer can't order the default combination by accident.

Adding such a first choice is obviously a worthwhile feature request: https://thirtybees.com/feature-request/

This is a genius workaround for an odd design choice made by PS.

Let's say I have three attributes to chose between, it would be nice to show the customer which attribute to chose in the message as the above example in AE. And what if I'd like to force the customer to chose the quantity?

@MockoB said in Force customer to chose attribute:

Let's say I have three attributes to chose between, it would be nice to show the customer which attribute to chose in the message as the above example in AE. And what if I'd like to force the customer to chose the quantity?

This type of description should go into your feature request so the devs have them in mind when designing the feature.

@Traumflug's suggestion isn't a complete fix for this bad PS design but it will help avoid customers not bothering to choose color, size, etc. It's definitely a big improvement over what PS opted for.

There is already not applied request for such feature in the feature request section. @Traumflug's suggestion is the only one I came with also but it has many disadvantages, like more attributes lead to more combinations, leads to page load delay and more server resources. Also not being able to show appropriate message to customer is drawback.

As I said, it's not a perfect solution but certainly it's better than shipping the wrong order to customers or having to call customers to confirm their order.

I found this feature request talking about the performance of the current attribute system. That definitely needs to be fixed too and there seems to be plans to do so. There's no search system for the feature suggestions though which makes it very hard to find anything at all. Are there any other feature suggestions related to this topic?

I just read Michael's comment below the request. May be attribute combinations system will need core change, I don't know. But feature to force customer with custom messages about attributes is not that complicated ...

Can we PLEASE have this fixed in the next release? At least fixed where it only shows available combinations. I have a module that does this for my PS store but it doesn't work as well as I'd like it to.

Also, having the "Add to Cart" button (everywhere but the actual product page) show a pop up where the customer would select the combination would be ideal as well.

@ajensen27 said in Force customer to chose attribute:

Can we PLEASE have this fixed in the next release? At least fixed where it only shows available combinations. I have a module that does this for my PS store but it doesn't work as well as I'd like it to.

Also, having the "Add to Cart" button (everywhere but the actual product page) show a pop up where the customer would select the combination would be ideal as well.

Have you tried out Traumflugs suggestion? I can't see any feature request yet. If somebody add one and post the link here, it surely would get some votes...

@wakabayashi said in Force customer to chose attribute:

@ajensen27 said in Force customer to chose attribute:

Have you tried out Traumflugs suggestion? I can't see any feature request yet. If somebody add one and post the link here, it surely would get some votes...

I'm not really worried about them having to select a combination. Normal default combo works fine for me.

My biggest issue is it showing unavailable combinations. If I have a product in size medium that comes with 12 in a package and I have that same product in size large come with a package of 10, if they change the selection from medium to large, package of 12 attribute still shows and gives an error and then they have to switch it to package of 10. This can be very confusing especially when there are 3 or 4 different sizes for a product and they all come in different size packaging. Luckily I have a module to fix this but it doesn't work as great as I'd like. You can see it refreshing, etc. You can see it in action here on my store (running PS 1.6) https://tinyurl.com/yd43ydvu

@wakabayashi here is the feature request already with decent count of votes: https://thirtybees.com/suggestions/show-combinations-pop-up-when-someone-clicks-on-add-to-cart-on-homepage-and-categories-page/