thirty bees forum

Preventing Image compression

Kenneth Ong

Question

Is there any way to completely avoid the backend from adjusting my images?

Every image i upload just ends up with my image colors looking completely different from the original and the quality is worse off than what i uploaded.

I've already set the image quality at the backend to be maximum quality.

12 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Kenneth Ong said:

Every image i upload just ends up with my image colors looking completely different from the original and the quality is worse off than what i uploaded.

I've already set the image quality at the backend to be maximum quality.

It's possible also to just use the original images on the templates files, so you can turn off all resized images you don't need anymore to just show on product page, for example, the original pic you uploaded.

it's pretty easy to modify theme for that : just have to remove the extension-size choosen, without extension it's the original picture that will be loaded.

8 hours ago, Kenneth Ong said:

After uploading images one can replace them with any version one wants. Only missing images will be generated automatically.

That's obviously some extra work, but may be worth it if image quality is important.

10 hours ago, zen said:

It's possible also to just use the original images on the templates files, so you can turn off all resized images you don't need anymore to just show on product page, for example, the original pic you uploaded.

it's pretty easy to modify theme for that : just have to remove the extension-size choosen, without extension it's the original picture that will be loaded.

I believe you are mistaken. if I remember correctly even the original uploaded image is being recreated.

So you will never really have the original uploaded file. only a modified lowered quality image.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, yaniv14 said:

I believe you are mistaken. if I remember correctly even the original uploaded image is being recreated.

So you will never really have the original uploaded file. only a modified lowered quality image.

You are right Yaniv14, I just checked and even the original one is recompressed with the parameters set.. but not resized at least.

Now It says on the code that using png for all files will benefit for pictures quality, and if it's needed to not recompress files at all, it can be done by overriding the ImageManager Class I guess.

1 hour ago, zen said:

Now It says on the code that using png for all files will benefit for pictures quality

To go with high quality, one has to start with PNG. This option to always use PNG, even if uploaded as JPEG, isn't helpful. It just raises file size.

PNG is nice, excellent for graphics-type images. But enormous file sizes for typical photographs. Not sure whether 5 MiB and bigger images are really helpful.

" yes, ideal scenario would be if there is a check if source image has a right size for example 1600px, then skip that one if possible (depends on compression format) "

That is an important option a nice shop system should have nowadays. And of course for each image type. In my case  I like to use webp. But best would be to skip webp or any compression for small image dimensions.

My workflow is to shoot in high quality, to resize product image to 2024x2024 (I like the dimension 😉 ), and to export it to jpg via my photoedit tool in quality setting 100% !

Then I use a compression tool called Riot on Windows and compress files to 50-65 % .... mostly 65%. Finally I upload them.

I did not notice during my last tests that Thirtybees with compression setting 100 compresses files but if so we really need an override that skips this until the option for image in Thirtybees are honed.

I mean, look how many threads only in this forum exist about that and how many answeres came...despite the fact that this is extremely important I think. And moreover, the original image should never be touched.

My 10 cents ... if any module shrinks images to set sizes, that would be great for workflow. 
I take a photo and upload; the module shrinks to a sensible number of Kilobytes.
I tale something from my archive or off the web, that might have beeen compressed to some tiny size; the module leaves it alone.
Simple workflow. Does anyone know if this option exists?

image processing should be straight forward process. IMO WebP is the way to go, if we like it or not. it gives good quality/size ratio. I didn't look into compressor settings yet, but there are few which can help with file size beside quality setting accessible via BO. WebP can do lossy, can do lossless, it even can do transparency, so right preselection of settings to source image properties is a key to achieve good quality/size combo.

ps. compression to size is ok when you do it one by one with visual confirmation of result, not for batch processing of hundreds of images.

16 minutes ago, cienislaw said:

image processing should be straight forward process.

Everything should be a straightforward process :-)

As one can see easily in this thread, 5 merchants have at least 6 opinions on what that exactly means. Which in turn requires more knobs and buttons, making the process less straightforward.

That said, image handling in thirty bees could certainly advance with an overhaul of the image handling system. To make formats other than standard resolution JPEG first class citizens as well (PNG, high resolution, WebP, mixes of that). To keep original images rather than processing them to the same size. To allow non-square images.

Likely a long process, and one easily breaking themes. Forming the future is hard work, still worthwhile work!

non-square images are already allowed, but I assume you were thinking about images not following set ratio to fit them with padding?

the hard rules implemented now are ok - you can't give a finger because ppl will ask for whole palm.

yeah, image handling could be improved in a few ways. preprocessing for start, which will determine if image really needs resize/recompress. but for now there is a bunch of things to do first, so maybe later;-)