thirty bees forum

Indiegogo ElasticSearch project

vincentdenkspel

Would you like to have aan ElasticSearch module with features such as advanced text-based search and advanced filter options AND not have to pay € 450 (excl. VAT) for it?

If your answer is YES the please do read on. If you answer is NO than you can skip this post.

After nagging for months to Michael i finally got him convinced to do a crowdfunding project for an ElasticSearch module. The project will be hosted on Indiegogo. I really think crowdfunded development will be a great way to push TB forward.

Crowdfunded development: In my opinion crowdfunding is a win-win-win situation. A quality module with advanced features that is fully compatible with TB will be developed. Also the developer can make a living and the module will make better and as such more attractive to other people so the user base will grow.

Features: The module will consist of a two parts, namely a text-based search part and a filter part.

Features text based search: - Possibility to: - Search within word - Select minimum word length - Blacklisted words - Field weight - Possibility to do: - Ajaxsearch - Normal search - Instant search - The ability to not index certain fields - The possibility to completely disable the module and fall back to standard search during index updates - The possibility for site-owner selectable search operator (and vs or) - The efficient & faster way to query of used by Brad (as discussed in “Let’s Talk about Search” thread). Support typos and misspellings correction Support field weight to define importance of fields ElasticSearch log in all available log levels - Support auto indexation on product add/update/duplicate - Support indexation defined on cron - Manual indexation fired in background with slow server timeout protection - Indexation cron links ready to use with 'Cron task manager' - Support full index regeneration and new add only missing products to index - Support advanced custom index configuration as json string - Support advanced custom search configuration as json string - Create multiple indexes separately for each shop and language

Maybe it will also have the ability to support an ElasticSearch cluster and the possibility to have brad-style dropdown search results with the little thumbnails

Features Filter: - Ajax filter - Price slider - Filter by: - Categories - Features - Manufacturer - Multiple selection per category - Filter options: Intersection∩ example: Product A {1,2,4,5(a,b,d,e,g),8,9} Product B {3,5(a,d,e),7,8,9 Product C {1,3,5(d,g)4,6,7,8,9) Product D { 2,5(a,b,f,g,h),6,7,8,9) Filter selection : { 2 ∪ 5(b,g) and 8 and 9} > {Product A,D}

Union (∪) example: Product A {1,2,4,5(a,b,d,e,g),8,9} Product B {3,5(a,d,e),7,8,9 Product C {1,3,5(d,g)4,6,7,8,9) Product D { 2,5(a,b,f,g,h),6,7,8,9) Filter selection : { 2 and 5 and 8 and 9} > {Product A,B,C,D} - Filter on pages: - Home - Categories - Manufacturer - Supplier - Special pages - Best sales - New Products - Search pages - Display selected filter with a 'cancel' button - Possibility to hook the module to left, right en center - Possibility to display the filter result in grid or list view - Possibility to select infinite scroll

The module will also be compatible with the warehouse and transformer theme.

This module will be developed by developed by Michael (@mdekker) and can be developed for €2000.

If you would like to have comparable features by buying commercial modules from the Prestashop addon store than you would have to pay about about €450,- (excl. VAT). Even than you would only get updates for 3 months and will it not be certain if the modules are compatible with TB.

If this project can be funded in the near future than it should be possible to have a beta version of the module in mid-august or early September.

So I really hope a lot of people will support this initiative so have can have a great search module in the near future.

LET'S MAKE THIRTYBEES GREAT

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@wakabayashi thank your for your questions I can't give you an answer on 1) and 2) i'm not a developer. i'll have to ask @mdekker. Or better yet: maybe he can answer them. 3) it will be possible to donate any amount be also preconfigured amounts of €5, €10, €25, €50, €100 and €200. I think one can pay with creditcard and with paypal, although i'm not sure about the latter

@Havouza Hi, I think the information i provided is accurate. Let me explain. For the functionality as mentioned in this post you not need 1 module but 2 modules. As far as i no the ElasticSearchconnector module that is sold in the prestastore is not capable of doing all the advanced filter options. If you also want the filter options you have to buy a second module. The elasticsearch connector costs € 130 excl VAT or € 172 excl VAT for 12 months of updates. The other module you need is the advance search 4 module. This module costs € 200 excl VAT or € 280 excl VAT with 12 months of upgrades. So for 12 months of free upgrade you will have to pay € 450 excl VAT in order to have all the functionality.

If in your opinion my calculations are not accurate or if all the functionality can be found in one module please let me know. I'll than edit the original post.

I think the key point here is that there is no existing single module for PS that does everything this proposed module will do.

I think the proposed feature set is pretty complete and I look forward to the Indiegogo link when it's ready.

It depends probably. All modules I have bought I have been able to download the latest version for at least 12 months and I have bought many. The support is however limited to 3 months if you don't pay. For me, it is a difference, perhaps not for all though

The PS addons store FAQ implies that it is 90 days for updates as well as support:

"When you purchase a module, theme or email template, you pay the price displayed only once and acquire the right to use it on a single online store. The price of each product includes 3 months of free support: during the 90 days following purchase, you can contact the developer who will answer your technical and functional questions and provide you with all product updates."

I think another point worth mentioning from a cost perspective is that in order to stay legal one would have to buy a copy of each module for each store being run. Run 5 stores? Buy 5 sets of modules. That starts to get expensive very quickly.

@Havouza said in Indiegogo ElasticSearch project:

It depends probably. All modules I have bought I have been able to download the latest version for at least 12 months and I have bought many. The support is however limited to 3 months if you don't pay. For me, it is a difference, perhaps not for all though

Can be for your modules... I have bought exactly the advanced search module from their site (not addons). You only get 3 months free updates! The support is so so. They answer, but don't expect them to fix bugs for free... To work with the tpl files is horrible. I hope Michael can do it better. @vincentdenkspel did a great work here and I think his information is fair and as accurate as possible.

Advanced search has a feature called Seo Pages. I don't use it too often, but it could be interesting for the module. You can generate predifened filter results. Imagine you write in a blog about "blue shirts", but you don't have any such category. Then you can create such a page with blue shirts products in a few clicks.

For me this question remains: What advantages do I have to switch from advancedsearch to this ElasticSearch module? As far as I understand they offer almost the same functionality. @mdekker maybe you can say something about this :) Speed & and editable tpl files I guess!?

@wakabayashi I just visited the demopage for the advanced search 4 module on the prestashop page. As far as i can tell it does not support text search (but i could be wrong) I myself use the ajax filter module developed by Presto Changeo ($250). It does work to but often i encounter problems with my site that is running on TB and every once in a while i have to pay for an update of the module.

I'm not a developer so i can't code or do bug fixes. I've a few reasons why i'm going to invest in this project and they are the ones mention in my initial post:

1) The developer will earn money. If the developer can't make a living out of TB than the project will eventually die 2) the module will make TB better. A full featured ecommerce system will attract more users and last but not least 3) i'll get a full featured module that will work with TB which make my site better In the end this is my way of contributing to the TB project

@Havouza I think it depends on the items you sell. For me a filter module and a search module are very handy. I sell (educational) boardgames. I've several categories (type of game, playing time, number of players, publisher and skills. For each games multiple skills are selected. For example. For a game called Mastermind (a well know mindgame/braingame) you need logical reasoning, spatial orientation and various other skills.

People are able to filter products on multiple categories: an game for one player, age 8 and up, 10 minutes playing time for which you need skill A, C and F. This is for someone who does not what specific game he/she is looking for.

The search option is for someone who exactly knows what game he is looking for but does not know if I have it in my collection. E.g. do i have Scrabble in my collection

I hope i've clarified why for me the filter and search option are complementary. I do understand however, that other shops my not need this.

@wakabayashi that is my meaning. I will not for the moment have any use for it though. We have got a very tempting offer on the adult site where it would be good. On the hosting site are 19 products so hardly needed there. On the Swedish site it is a different kind of B2B customers that know exactly what they are after. But who knows about the future, perhaps I find something new to sell.