thirty bees forum

Double order email module?

bhtoys

I have info about shipping, and order pick ups at the bottom of the invoice people get when they place an order... but more people than not, don't seem to see it, read it, or even check their invoice. 

It's annoying. 

Is there a module, or a way, or a feature, that will allow the site to automatically send TWO emails when an order is placed? 
One that sends the invoice, and another that sends shipping/pick up information, etc.?

Thanks. 

14 hours ago, 30knees said:

It's not what you're looking for, but a work around would be to have different order statuses and send different emails based on the status. You could automate the change of order status so you don't have to do it manually.

You're right, it's not. I'd like the double email for the main reason that people "should" see the second email saying "About your order", and be like "What is this?!" Then they'd read it and have the answers to their questions, that were in the invoice anyway.

You might consider changing the email template for the status "Payment Accepted" to modify it so it displays the shipping/pickup information.  It can be triggered automatically when an online payment is processed which for most orders is the norm. Customers will get this email in addition to the normal order confirmation email.

9 hours ago, datakick said:

You can also use my Consequences module to achieve this

Thanks! Downloaded it, but can't find where in the admin I can set up an entirely new email to be sent via your module. 
I can't even find where to alter a pre-existing Status, or Email Template?

8 hours ago, bhtoys said:

Thanks! Downloaded it, but can't find where in the admin I can set up an entirely new email to be sent via your module. 
I can't even find where to alter a pre-existing Status, or Email Template?

If you want to send brand new email, then follow these steps:

1. ftp to your site
  2. go to mails directory in your theme/language, for example /themes/niara/mails/en
  3. create <email_name>.txt and <email_name>.html files (or copy existing email templates and save them under new name)
  4. edit email templates, and insert appropriate {placeholder} into it -- these will be replaced with the actual data
  5. go to consequences module, and you will see this new email template available for use. If you select it, you will need to map all {placeholders} from the template

On 11/20/2020 at 1:35 AM, datakick said:

If you want to send brand new email, then follow these steps:

1. ftp to your site
  2. go to mails directory in your theme/language, for example /themes/niara/mails/en
  3. create <email_name>.txt and <email_name>.html files (or copy existing email templates and save them under new name)
  4. edit email templates, and insert appropriate {placeholder} into it -- these will be replaced with the actual data
  5. go to consequences module, and you will see this new email template available for use. If you select it, you will need to map all {placeholders} from the template

I have some time tonight to finally work on this. I may of mis-spoke. Doing this, the site should send out TWO emails now per order, right? An invoice, and the one I set up via this?

• 6 months later...

@datakick Sorry to bring up an old post - but I have an issue... I've updated the text on the files for the extra email that goes out with each order. (<email_name>.txt and <email_name>.html files)

Yet when I do a test order - three times - I get the old message and not the updated one... 

11 hours ago, bhtoys said:

@datakick Sorry to bring up an old post - but I have an issue... I've updated the text on the files for the extra email that goes out with each order. (<email_name>.txt and <email_name>.html files)

Yet when I do a test order - three times - I get the old message and not the updated one... 

Maybe you changed /mail and not /themes/your-theme/mail?

18 minutes ago, bhtoys said:

Nope. Server only has the two files with that name. 

What i've meant is that, in order to make changes in email templates, I had to edit .txt and .html located in /themes/niara/mails/es

Check if you have your templates there too.

2 hours ago, Wartin said:

in order to make changes in email templates, I had to edit .txt and .html located in /themes/niara/mails/es

That's true. If the theme comes with an email template, this one overrides templates in /mails/es/. This applies to .txt and .html templates separately, one can override one, but not the other.

On top of this, modules can come with their own templates. These don't override default templates, though.