thirty bees forum

Predefined vs Custom Feature Values

wakabayashi

I am rewritting the feature functionality a bit. As often, the code is a bit messy and unclear. In TB we have a distinction for predefined and custom feature_values. Which one do you use and why?

I formyself use only the predefined.

@datakick I wonder, if this distinction is even neeed and why it's only allowed to use one of the both?

I have made a little video of my progress. I am not at all at the finish line, but I wanted to get a feedback. Would this be helpful for other merchants?

IMO the selection of features will be much more comfortable with chosen plugin (as you can search). And the displayable helps to give additional information, but doesn't mess up with a filter.

I guess this feature would even allow to use groups in a filter. Imagine you don't want your customers to filter all countries. You could then set values like "Asia", "Europe" and so on. And for in the displayable field you write the correct country 😉 Just one of many possible usecases.

Looking great. Love the 'displayable' aspect. 

We always used 'defined' features. I found the 'Customs' ones caused some issue with our filter module

One thing I found with multiple features (and this may be theme related, I can't remember) is that the multiple features are listed vertically on the product page. With a product with lots of multiple features can take up a lot of scrolling. If a coffee blend has beans from 10 countries you would want them listed horizontally with a comma, not vertically

• Like 1

Suggestion: a way to add meta data to features.

I use predefined features for no strong reason, and then a bit of a hack to repeat one or two of them with title tags round them to say things like "Google Product Catagory" or "Size System", just to drop a hint to search engines. I try to upload the data direct to google shopping as well.

Edited by veganline

2 hours ago, x97wehner said:

I use both. I try and used predefined, but I get one offs pretty often that are just easier to manually override rather than jump between screens.

That was my guess. It's more comfortable. But IMO we could also just allow to add "normal" features directly. But ok, maybe there is another reason why it was designed like that.

Edited by wakabayashi
  • Like 1

The predefined is preferable cause the custom one doesn't work with our filter module.

Just wondering, when you use length for example in millimeters do you create 1000 predefined features? 1mm to 1000mm? That's an example where we have used custom text.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 5:02 PM, Briljander said:

Just wondering, when you use length for example in millimeters do you create 1000 predefined features? 1mm to 1000mm? That's an example where we have used custom text.

No. We create just the predefined values, when we need them. Obviously that would be more comfortable if it's possible inside the product edit.

On 3/28/2022 at 2:57 PM, wakabayashi said:

Is there anyone willing to test it? This will be quite a huge rewrite, so we should test this carefully before adding to the core. 

I have now a raw version, that seems to work pretty well already. But I am sure there are issues left...

No one?