thirty bees forum

PHP 8.0

hello and together with slaudar,
I tell you a concern, which is regarding the update of the php version where until now it is available up to 7.4 but most of the hosting services are already stopping using that version and require you to use 8.0 or higher.

Do you know if we can have an update of the platform to use with said version without errors? since when testing with 8.0 it is not possible to load products.

21 minutes ago, soporte administrable.cl said:

... 7.4 but most of the hosting services are already stopping using that version and require you to use 8.0 or higher. ...

To be honest, if you have a hosting that changes php versions without asking or even if the just announce that the will stop most common php versions, you should really consider if you are at the right place.

Hello

It is not that the versions of php change, but when contracting new services we see that they no longer have that version available, they are working with 8.0 or later.

He comments on this as what will be the projection of the Thirtybee platform since at some point and less and less hosting services offer that version.

php 8 should be supported in TB1.4 which I guess will be out in summer, but again, if a hosting does not have most common used php versions available (does not matter if new contract or existing), the hosting is just the wrong one.

A good host let you choose the php version which you need and even switch between them at any time (without charging any fees).

That's right, when you hire a VPS it's very simple to have versions from 5.6 in PHP, but I've had clients who get their hosting like this as in the attached image:
image.png.9552ed9e4a25054a49fe9a97ae8b15ba.png

More than anything I leave it as a comment where the more time passes, the more clients may be in a situation of problems with the PHP version since there are few who have VPS and shared hosting where they are already depreciating versions lower than 7.4

Edited by soporte administrable.cl

Upcoming version should run on PHP8. But of course, there might be some modules (third party or even thirty bees) that are not compatible.

At the moment, you can try update your store to bleeding edge using core updater, and then switch to PHP8, and test. That would definitely help

• Like 1

One thing I get after switching to 8.0 and upgrading to latest bleeding edge and than trying to switch back to 7.4.

Composer detected issues in your platform: Your Composer dependencies require a PHP version ">= 8.0.0".

After that I can no longer access website to use core updater to update the system back to use 7.4 🙂

Edited by toplakd

Unfortunately, that is expected behaviour.

We have different builds for different php versions. The reason is that some third party libraries are not supported on all php versions tb supports.

For example, smarty v4.1 runs only on php 7.1 and newer. There exists different version of that library - 3.1.45 - that runs on php7.0 but have issues on php8.

Hence the different builds for different php versions.

Unfortunately, libs designed for php8 contains syntax or languate features that are not available in php7. So downgrading php version is not a good idea.

There is a workaround - in cire updater settings you can select php version, and core updater will install code for that particular php version. So, while on PHP8 you can update your store to code designed for PHP7.4, and then downgrade.

However, weird side effects can happen. 

• Like 1