thirty bees forum

You are mining Monero crypto-currency when using thirtybees.com website

Param2

I agree with this totally. The stores that can't afford some software or plugins may look for other solutions that works worse or aren't updated.

This is the way to keep this proyect working.

Otherwise, this module can grow a lot, you can add the % of CPU you want to "donate" or add and option to use it in the FO with a warn to your clients...

It already has the option to throttle it to a percentage and also add or remove cores, so you can tune it fairly good. As for the front office, I have kicked that idea around in my head and I am leaning towards no on ever doing it. The reason being is I think I could hurt stores reputation.

• 1 month later...

I agree with most of the issues raised in that Trustwave article, but I’d like to add that even if the company behind Coinhive is “possibly” behaving properly (and the article author already seems to doubt about that), there is always a security risk to inject third party code in your own, and this is specifically what you are doing when using Coinhive : adding third party code acting as a black box in your own code. Third party scripts acting as a black box, can become a security concern if they are poorly designed or coded, or if the Coinhive servers happen someday to be hacked.

Moreover, as it seems to trigger more and more negative attention to it, I bet more and more anti-malware programs will include detection of it. A shop back-office using it could be blocked from browsing by some anti-malware programs. At least, that’s not a security problem but a real problem nonetheless.

I consider this browser mining stuff to be simply inefficient. Users pay with their electricity bill and if they do a similar donation using Patreon I'm very sure the outcome for thirty bees is much higher. Commodity PCs aren't optimized for mining, much less is JavaScript, so there's a huuuge loss along the way. Not to forget that cranking up electricity consumption isn't exactly good for the environment either.

@traumflug you are right but, if it's setup correct wth a lower cpu usage, it's not something you are going to feel when it comes to the electricity bill, but ye it's not efficient, but a little is better then nothing, in my company all works stations is actually based on Intel NUC, besides my computer, they have a very low power usage even with a high amount of cpu load.