thirty bees forum

Please delete my account

Occam

Oh, no! Come on, folks, let's take it easy. Both @Occam and @Traumflug are very well up. Of course, all we have an ambitions, all we're wish our opinion to be valued, taken in account, and respected. Of course, all we sometimes could be stupid, unbearable and arrogant. Folks, why don't you sort things out on the octoberfest? ;)

I don't think it is a good idea to post such a request as a forum post. This way it is some kind of extortion and reminds of childs stomping feet if they are angry.

The post doesn't provide much information about what had happened and appears just as an affront against @Traumflug (The post just says "he is guilty if I am leaving ... "). This seems to be a personal thing. If there are differences it shouldn't be discussed this way. Just my 2c ...

Seeing the post sent by traumflug it must be noted that the way the moderator handled the deletion is incorrect.

In most forums the moderator who deletes a user post makes an Edit and shortly explains why the post was deleted... This makes it easy to identify who deleted the post (as to avoid this kind of misunderstandings) and give a clear reason for why so the user doesnt believe it was for personal reasons.

Also this types of posts should be moderated in order that only the user and the mods could see it (moved to a password protected part of the forum and give the key to the user as well so that he could check on answers) but I also agree that this kind of public display is childish and doesnt help the comunity at all. :S

@raptorx said in Please delete my account:

In most forums the moderator who deletes a user post makes an Edit and shortly explains why the post was deleted... This makes it easy to identify who deleted the post (as to avoid this kind of misunderstandings) and give a clear reason for why so the user doesnt believe it was for personal reasons.

@raptorx by now we don't know who deleted what. Traumflug said he didn't delete anything and Lesley said that Traumflug doesn't have the capability to delete posts of other users. Users can only delete their own posts which would mean that it was occam who deleted his own posts. THis is why I too think it would be good to disable the "delete" function. Maybe he deleted his post by mistake and now thinks anybody else did it. We don't know ...

@marci123 the fact that he is complaining about the deletion would suggest that he didnt delete his own post.

that is the kind of misunderstandings that can cause just deleting a post hehe.

@mdekker yeah rules would be nice, if a mod deletes a post just an edit saying, "Edit: Post is not in english" would have dispelled a lot of misunderstandings.

@Traumflug, your answer even though actually logical was what triggered the guy.

What we are led to believe as newcomers (as I am) is that this is not the same kind of comunity that we had in Prestashop, here people have the idea that if we say what we want improved in TB we will be listened to.

The answer even though accurate just let us know that "nobody cares, go to another place and bother someone else because I cant, he cant and nobody cant do anything about it"... so I think his response was completely understandable given the context of Thirty Bees.

@raptorx said in Please delete my account:

The answer even though accurate just let us know that "nobody cares, go to another place and bother someone else because I cant, he cant and nobody cant do anything about it"... so I think his response was completely understandable given the context of Thirty Bees.

I don't have this impression of this community. It is probably some kind "what goes around comes around". occam himself was very strict critizising people if posting in the "wrong" language.

@marci123 I didnt mean that as the impression of the whole community... I meant that that specific answer that Traumflug gave had that feeling to it.

Actually quite the opposite, the whole community is centered around "we will take your suggestions into account"... but that specific answer, on that specific post went completely against the community sentiment, in my opinion as a newcommer... I dont know the history between them or the context, but reading that post gave me that impression.

As a community i think we have to take care of the image we transmit and then we have to work very hard to maintain that image even though some times is not how we feel.

@marci123 said in Please delete my account:

occam himself was very strict critizising people if posting in the “wrong” language.

As it seems to me, he tried somehow to organize the German-speaking branch in the situation, when there weren't (almost) any rules about it. While his sharp criticizm has a solid reasons from one hand, from another hand, IMHO, the absence of reaction for such criticizm isn't a sign, that community leaders doesn't care at all. Again IMHO, they just hasn't enough time to rule everything. And in this situation i could understand, when @Traumflug's answers oftenly could appear non-friendly/non-adequate.

@daokakao said in Please delete my account:

@marci123 said in Please delete my account: Again IMHO, they just hasn't enough time to rule everything. And in this situation i could understand, when @Traumflug's answers oftenly could appear non-friendly/non-adequate.

Actually I haven't read a post by Traumflug which I felt was really inappropriate on the other hand I found a number of posts by occam quite picky. I think being a slave to rules is not helpful either. But that's just my impression ...

@marci123 I wouldnt use the term 'slave to rules' but I think on large groups of people there has to be some form of organization.

Sound rules might just be the solution to some misunderstandings.

About Traumflug I agree that he has never been inapropriate. But some times his short and direct answers might be taken as unpolite or that he doesnt care which I am completly sure it is not his intention.

The problem is that maybe he is a programmer and thats how they speak to computers but to humans that sounds like impolite or that they just dont care which might not be the case.

The answer even though accurate just let us know that “nobody cares, go to another place and bother someone else because I cant, he cant and nobody cant do anything about it”

Please don't take it this way. Such obvious malfunctions and lacks of crucial functionality don't get forgotten. The simple problem is that while a lot of stuff was fixed already, there's still a huge pile waiting. There are at least three people working every day on lowering this pile. And then they receive yelling because they can't do miracles. Bummer.

There are also heros. For example here: https://github.com/thirtybees/thirtybees/issues/374. While apparently not an expert, yet, he finds his way step by step, getting closer to a solution, reporting what he found. Awesome! This help a lot.

@traumflug I personally dont take it like that. I am fully aware that your intentions are not bad. :)

My point is that some people might take it like that given the context... look at this:

Main Question: 0_1508431592864_scRect_TIb4UiLaxZX.png

Answer 0_1508431617047_scRect_06Ek63EqXp.png

This in short sounds like "Go away... we dont care" which is why he reacted this way.

I dont mean thats what you want to say but thats how it sounds and it can lead to misunderstandings.

Come on, folks! All that is so petty! What is more important is the community! I really value @Occam and @Traumflug and all others exactly because they're what they're!

It was ridiculous mistake - one removed post, other thought it was made by someone he dislike, that person, in turn answered impolite... Just lets turn on "the bookkeeper mode" and try to estimate the situation with a cold head. IMHO, there's absoultely nothing cost of all this hype. Except the fact that all we feel like lose something. So, my offer is simple as a dime: lets frinedship win.

This can also be taken as an oportunity to look for ways to avoid it in the future, because one simple misunderstanding can become a split community... I have seen it happening on other forums.

I think this community might be very powerful but we have to avoid this kind of misunderstandings.

@mdekker haha yeah but think about it this way:

Two developers who work on a lot of the main code have a disagreement, one of them gets his post deleted by mod without explanation... Developer thinks it was the other guy and decides to fork. Everyone that thinks he is right goes with him.

As I mentioned, I have seen this happening on another forum...

My point is: mods should comment when they delete something... Right now is not a big deal, later on might be a game changer for the community :)

It's still a stretch though... I know... But possible nonetheless.

Communities and projects like this live and die because of their culture.

I don't know what's been going on in the background and who started what, but @Traumflug's reply to @Occam in the thread was hostile and without any value at all.

I hope these two important members of our community are able to make up and work together again to improve tb.