thirty bees forum

Let's talk about Search!

dynambee

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should be. I would contact their support to see if its possible for them to install elastic search to your account. If it is not you might need to get a cheap vps account from someone like cloudways to host the actual ElasticSearch server.

This is the response I got:

Thank you for contacting our Help Desk.

I am afraid that you the integration of ElasticSearch would not be possible on our Shared hosting accounts as it requires Java, which we do not support.

If you wish to have it, you should consider an upgrade to our Dedicated hosting plans, where you can have root access and install the desired software.

https://www.siteground.com/dedicated-hosting.htm

I hope that you will find this information useful and if you need any other assistance, please contact us again.

Best Regards,

It might be. You can use the link in my footer and test it out for free for 14 days. One thing to consider with them, they do not have mail servers, so you have to use a 3rd party mail system. But at the same time they are perfectly setup for thirty bees with their caching, redis, and elastic search. Oh, they have free ssl certificates too.

The best mail provider is, IMO, Google. However it costs $5 a month per user. You can have more than one email address for no extra charge but they will all end up in one mailbox.

There are other hosted solutions too, such as hosted Microsoft Exchange which can also be very good. Like Google Apps this is typically around $5 a month for a reasonable amount of storage on a reliable host.

Zoho offers a free hosted mail service for domains with up to 12 users. There are some caveats however including that there is absolutely no support provided for their free accounts. Zoho is a decent option but it's definitely not as good as Google Apps. In the end you get what you pay for.

Cloudways also offers an addon solution, email hosted by Rackspace. I don't know much about this as I haven't tried it (we use Google Apps) but it seems it costs $1/month per email address. If you only need one email address then this might be the easiest & cheapest solution.

@dynambee said in Let's talk about Search!:

The best mail provider is, IMO, Google. However it costs $5 a month per user. You can have more than one email address for no extra charge but they will all end up in one mailbox.

There are other hosted solutions too, such as hosted Microsoft Exchange which can also be very good. Like Google Apps this is typically around $5 a month for a reasonable amount of storage on a reliable host.

Zoho offers a free hosted mail service for domains with up to 12 users. There are some caveats however including that there is absolutely no support provided for their free accounts. Zoho is a decent option but it's definitely not as good as Google Apps. In the end you get what you pay for.

Cloudways also offers an addon solution, email hosted by Rackspace. I don't know much about this as I haven't tried it (we use Google Apps) but it seems it costs $1/month per email address. If you only need one email address then this might be the easiest & cheapest solution.

I like Google but do you use an @gmail.com account or alwayspaws@---- at what?

@lesley

We use rackspace for thirty bees mails. It seems to work well.

Good to know.

It still doesn't make sense for me to move from SiteGround to Cloudways because I can't afford a VPS. I guess my part of these questions is for future reference. I have high hopes. lol!

@Traumflug said in Let's talk about Search!:

The best mail provider is, IMO, Google. However it costs $5 a month per user.

For $5 a month I get a whole hosting solution, including 5 domains and some 50 email addresses.

I actually have ~25 different domains that have Google Apps "Standard Edition" on them, the free edition of Google Apps that is no longer available for registration. Every time I bought a domain when it was available I set up Google Apps Standard for that domain, even if I had no immediate plans to make use of it. Each Standard Edition gets 50 users, and it's possible to add new domains to existing accounts in a couple of different ways. So I get the best of both worlds, fully managed email and no charge whatsoever.

That said, I think with a bit more time I will self-host email using something like Mail in a Box. There are a few different similar options, I'm not yet sure which one I will go with.

Does it work with Elastic Search?

I didn't try, I just wanted to express that $5/month for just email delivery is a pretty steep price and worth looking for a better solution. Like keeping your current hosting for this email stuff, for example.

@Traumflug said in Let's talk about Search!:

Does it work with Elastic Search?

I didn't try, I just wanted to express that $5/month for just email delivery is a pretty steep price and worth looking for a better solution. Like keeping your current hosting for this email stuff, for example.

The $5 a month is paying for guaranteed uptime and a fully managed service. Companies of all sizes use Google Apps for this reason. There are even quite a number of companies with 1000+ users that use use Google Apps or pay a similar amount for hosted Exchange. Properly functioning email is critical to an online business, making sure that it will always work by paying ~17 cents per day per user isn't such a bad deal.

Great progress has been made toward's crowdfunding the ElasticSearch module! It's currently at $1747 out of a needed $2300. If anyone has been meaning to donate but hasn't done so yet, now would be a great time!

There are still two Presto Changeo discount coupons available. Donate at least $75 and get 40% off the entire total of one checkout at Presto Changeo. Buy one module or ten, get 40% off your entire cart's total!

There are also two of @lesley's generously donated support packages remaining. One for 2 hours ($125 donation) and one for 10 hours ($500 donation). Support the ES module and save a bundle on your support needs!

@mdekker will be developing the ES module. By donating to this project you are helping support one of the key 30bz developers, too.

Let's make it happen!